Any aquarium enthusiasts?

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
My 7 year old son loves fish. He has had a small 6 gallon aquarium in his room for a year and a half. Someone in my neighborhood was throwing out a nice metal aquarium stand a couple of weeks ago, so I grabbed it and bought a 29 gallon tank that fits it.

I'm currently cycling it with live plants and the three rasboras from his old tank. I obtained bacteria from my local fish store to seed the tank and also transferred the filter media and gravel from the established tank. It is pretty well cycled after only a week, but we are going to wait another week before starting to raise the bio-load.

Looking for some stocking ideas. We will definitely add more rasboras (4 or 5 more) to build up their school. Thinking about doing guppies since he will get a kick out of baby fish. We also have hard tap water which is perfect for guppies. Maybe a pleco to keep the algae in check. Ideas/opinions?

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I love and kept aquariums for many years. We had a couple of small marine tanks here with live caught fish. Unfortunately there was no place to put them where there wasn't a lot of sunlight so algae was an issue so we returned everything back to the sea

Good luck. It's a great hobby. It sure beats watching TV

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
We used to have several fish tanks, including a couple of 50 gallon ones. Maintenance of them got to be too big a chore and the rest of the family had lost interest (aka helping me with the chores).

I did have plecos in the big tanks. Those fish can get pretty big, over a foot in length, and about twice a year I'd swap out my massive one for a smaller one at the local store. They would also give me a nice store credit in the swap. They will eat fish eggs and small fry because they aren't strict vegetarians. This is generally a good thing with rapid breeders like guppies who can quickly overpopulate a tank. For a catfish, you might want to consider a cory or otto instead of the pleco since they don't get as big and are less omnivorous.

As for other fish, we mostly had neon tetras, guppies and swordtails.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
The rummy nose tetras do look awesome. If we get a second school, we will definitely go with those. I am a bit worried that two schools plus guppies will get over stocked in a 29 gallon tank.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
Been keeping fish tanks for something like 15 years now, the vast majority of my life. Have a breeding colony of endlers (very close relative of the guppy) and a couple amano shrimp at the moment.

Guppy fry will definitely get eaten by both the parents and the rasboras. I might steer away from that idea if you think it'll traumatize the kid, or you could just get males. Platies are also a great beginner fish from the livebearer world. I'd also focus on just making one really big school in a 29 instead of having two smaller schools. The fish would be much happier. What kind of rasboras are we talking about here, by the way?

Regardless, I'd be glad to help/toss ideas around with. I'm not as deep into fish keeping as I once was but still lurk around a couple of my old forums, haha.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I liked mine. But they are a lot of work for sure. Most my fish got parasites and died.... is that just the way it is?

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Doomguy- Harlequins. They don't know what to do with their new found space. They seem to be really enjoying swimming laps back and forth.

We've lost a couple of the Rasboras (one died, one jumped out of the tank and fell behind dresser) which my son didn't take too hard, so I think that he can handle most of the fry being eaten. I'd add some Java moss before adding the guppies to give the fry someplace to hide. We could also set up his 6 gallon as a maternity ward / fry tank if we really wanted to breed guppies, but I'm leaning towards just letting nature do its thing.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
Harlequins and guppies are a solid mix, I used to keep them together myself. Harlequins can jump when spooked so I'm not exactly surprised that one jumped. Harlequins, guppies, and a solo bristlenose pleco could be a good mix for you. You'll just need to keep some driftwood on the tank for the pleco to graze on.

Guppies are genetically weak these days so don't be surprised if there's a drop off after you put them in the tank. Try not to buy from tanks where the fish are all sick/have open wounds or there are corpses on the bottom, I'm sure you know the drill.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah- My local fish store guy told me to not add guppies for a couple of months because they are so intolerant to water conditions. He suggested mollies instead. My only concern with mollies is that they get significantly larger than guppies.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Do you know that rectangular fish, which has eyes in the angles of his body ?
1654534606328.png

I would love an aquarium. But my place is too small. And it sort of a lot of maintenance to keep a goldfish, and they are not very grateful.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
Yeah- My local fish store guy told me to not add guppies for a couple of months because they are so intolerant to water conditions. He suggested mollies instead. My only concern with mollies is that they get significantly larger than guppies.
Guppies should be tolerant to water conditions if they're acclimated well. The issue really with guppies is inbreeding due to linebreeding (which is used to breed for certain traits such as colors, tail shapes, etc.). After so many generations of breeding within their own families, the majority of guppy lines that you find are very weak genetically and keel over with the slightest problem. Guppies are my favorite fish and even I don't really enjoy keeping them anymore due to this. They used to be tough fish but generation upon generation of linebreeding really messed them up.

Once again, I'll mention platies. Bigger then guppies, smaller then mollies. Generally super peaceful, goofy fish that you can get in many different colors. They have some issues due to linebreeding but are not affected as much as guppies are. Even better, you can keep some guppies and platies together too, if you make room for them in the tank. They (and guppies) will pick on some algae as well.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I don't know if I would call myself an enthusiast but I have a tank.

I started with guppies (all males) but I had more problems with them than any other fish I've had since.

I had Platys after but while having babies was fun at first it quickly got out of hand (and it took a long time to separate the M/F and find homes etc) Platys are messy too.

I tend to stick to Tetra family now, I have some black neon, ember tetras and diamond head neons... they are lively and fun to watch and they all seem to get on. By far the easiest fish I've had.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks. I'll look into Platies instead of Guppies. I probably stress about the fish health more than my son, so the last thing that I need is fragile fish.

I do worry about the tank getting quickly overrun by breeding. My LFS will trade excess fry for store credit though, so it might not be too big of an issue.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
The parents and rasboras will likely eat a decent portion, if not all of the fry unless the tank is heavily (and I mean heavily) planted.

There's always the option to add a centerpiece/more solitary fish that will clean up fry too. Lots of ways to go about the fry problem, honestly.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
When I was a kid, we had guppies, swordtails, and black mollies in the same tank. Seems like the fry were usually born overnight and were mostly gone by time we got up in the morning to try to separate them. No plants in that tank, so the most successful hiding spot was under the 8" long pleco.

TeleSlug

TDPRI Member
I'll throw in a recommendation for a smaller pleco, like a bushy or bristle nose. I have two in my 29 gallon tank. One is about 5 inches and the other about 3 inches. They are the favorites of my little nephews.

Be forewarned that plecos are hearty poopers!

bactrian666

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
The rummy nose tetras do look awesome. If we get a second school, we will definitely go with those. I am a bit worried that two schools plus guppies will get over stocked in a 29 gallon tank.
Never been a fan of Guppies, the schooling Tetras have the movement younger kids like and are attentive to the owner, crowding up to the glass expecting to be fed

catdaddy

Tele-Afflicted
I've been out of the hobby for many years, but when I was a kid I always had a tank. One of the things I learned was that water PH and hardness compatibility was essential for the fish to thrive. Trying to mix species who do best in water with a lower PH with those who thrive in higher PH water will not end well. Same is true for relative water hardness or softness. Choose your fish species based on at least those factors. There are some other factors which include temperature, lighting and substrate which I found to be of relatively less significance, but are important considerations none the less.