Any advice on this Deluxe Reverb '64

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joshigh, Oct 24, 2011.

1. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

Loving the discussion guys! Thanks for taking the time out to talk about it.

I do have a list of things I'll mention to ding it on, but the seller already mentioned he has this priced lower than any others in this condition. I'll continue to educate him on the non-original pieces and see if that might do anything. He is a hardcore trader, so I'm sure he traded into this somehow, maybe my reasonable offer will work just fine.

I'm not looking to steal it from him, I just want a price that I can turn around and sell it for what I paid without losing more than a handful of dollars.

I'm planning on trading a MIA Jazz Bass Five string and a Gallien Krueger 700RBII bass amp head. That's a market value of about $1100, he's told me he prefers trades, and I have this stuff for sale so that's our starting point.

Can any of you point me to any recently sold or listed DRs in this price range that I can compare to? Here's what I'm seeing on eBay.

This 65, in similar shape, with no PT swap, speaker/reverb leads, but a few other replacements sold for $1900+ shipped
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Fender...714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1fae8e72

Plenty of sold Silverfaces in the $800 range.

The more I look, the more I agree with a price around $1000. Anything more than that, and I might as well buy something hand built from one of the respected clone makers out there.

2. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Do you know which transformer was replaced? It wouldn't bother me too much if it was the reverb transformer, for instance. PT or OT would be more "points off", and more bargaining power for you, IMO.

3. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

Welp, the proverbial trigger has been pulled. I checked it out and it looked good. It's a player's amp for sure, it's been maintained well. The grill cloth has probably been replaced, and the Fender logo may or may not have been there before. The foot switch isn't original. The RCA cables from the reverb tank are newer, the speaker plug looks really old, but not sure if it's original.

The rectifier tube is a Sylvania. The power tubes are ElectroHarmonix, I can't tell what the pre-amps tubes are, no branding. Looks like caps have been replaced.

It's dead quiet, sounds great, reverb works, trem works and both sound great.

I didn't get it for a cool $1,000, but I didn't pay $1400 either. I'm happy with the deal though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. supersam

supersam Tele-Meister

I'm so jealous right now! Looks like a lot has been replaced on the inside, but if it sounds good, that's all that matters. Congrats on the new amp!!

5. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

Nice!!!

6. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

Under 1400 bucks you did great, what's a few hundred bucks over many years of kick a$$ tone anyhoo?

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

The amp looks like it's in really good shape from the images posted. Congratulations.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Glad to hear you got it. Now crank it up and play!

9. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Decent. :cool:

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Glad you like it, joshigh...that is the important part. That amp's circuit is totally redone. I don't see an original part on the circuit board. This might be good for a player, but it is rarely necessary to strip a board and start anew.
    IT might bode well for years of service, right?
    I wonder about the cab...because of the baffleboard and the tube chart. That tube chart is very clean not to exhibit a stamped date code. ? Somewhere on there one should find a two letter stamp....N_. N indicates 1964, and the next letter would indicate the month...A thru L. Your amp has a chassis stamp date of the 39th week of 1964, so the tube chart stamp would probably be for October of that year...NJ. Sometimes ink fades, though. That waviness across the top front is odd.....this amp may have had some recovering...not that hat matters in light of the PT and the speaker, right.
    Imho, you might want to consider redoing the filter cap section. It is set up for the 'stock' capacitance in the first two stages, but then the tech used 40 mfds. This may ormay not suit your playing. Large capacitance in the preamp section can increase problems with what is termed 'farty' bass freqs. Increasing the capacitance in the first stage can firm up low end, but I usually don't increase capacitance in the preamp....and I can't recall seeing anyone else doing this type of thing to a FEnder.
    Also, you need to have a different bias cap installed. IT looks like that is a 22mfd at some considerable voltage. The original was 80mfd/75V. I use a 100mfd/100V there....nothing larger. IF a tech does go into this amp, it might be good to know whether or not any changes have been made from the orignal circuit and the values of the components.
    I hope you don't mind me noting these things. This is what I do after I buy an amp...if not before. Imho, one needs to know what is there.

11. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I think you did all right too, but I gotta mention that a P12R is really being stretched to its limits. Of course, you'll be the judge. Congrats.

12. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

Not at all, I welcome the feedback and observations.

13. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

I have to agree on the P12R. I'd get that thing outta there right away and replace it with something that has more ballz. One of the most popular DR speakers is the Weber 12F150, for good reason. Else I'd be looking at an Emmi Swamp Thang.

I'd also get rid of those EH 6V6s before one blows and damages the amp.

And if it's really a 64, lose the logo on the grille. And replace those reverb tank wires with the braded type. IOW, make the thing look right. That speaker connector plug is not original either.

14. JohnFrusciante

JohnFrusciante TDPRI Member

I would never fork over huge sums of money for a pretty original amp that doesn't sound better than a player grade amp. And I think the OP said he didn't want a museum piece

There are many folks that play their vintage amps everyday, gig with them, enjoy them, and then there folks that collect them and put them on pedestals and are overly anal about every little detail. (Btw, Wally I am not saying you are one of them I know there are folks like this out there and it just seems silly to me) Imo these folks should collect antiques. But to each their own. Because I would never pay silly money for a mint condition vintage amp doesn't lend any more credence to the fact that the people you sold to would. There's a market place for each

and

In this current market, at least from what I can tell 1400 for a good sounding, good condition, mostly original DR is a good price. A replaced PT or RT are no big deal and should have no impact on tone. A replaced OT is a little more of an issue however.

Bottom line if it sounds good and in good working order I would say it's a good buy and the OP may find himself with one heck of an amp to enjoy playing.

I see the amp now. Doesn't look like they left an original cap in place but the transformers other than the PT all look like 64s.

I'm not a big DR fan. I prefer the PR and Vibrolux but if that amp was in my neighborhood I might give it a try for a bit under 1400.00 As long as it sounds good you have a PTP/TB constructed amp that should last another 40 years

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Joshigh understands my observations, and I noted in an earlier post that this amp could be very desirable from a player's point of view. I have been dealing with these vintage collectables and the players' amps of the same eras for a couple of decades now, and imho this amp has left the high dollar bracket of the market....and is not worth $1400. joshigh took that to heart and negotiated a lower price. Good for him. Will this amp be worth more than a modern clone of a BFDR down the road? Undoubtedly. IS it a desirable amp in the collector's market....no way. IT is a functional player's amp, and prospective buyer's need to understand the difference in between the two segments--collectable and player-- of the vintage amp market. I simply like to see people pay for what they are buying and not buy under the illusion that something is what it is not.
    Players and collectors....sometimes they are different people. Sometimes they are the same person. Lately I have seen 'players' who are new to the vintage amp market paying way too much for non-original player's items---they are thinking that any amp....say a '64 BFDR....is worth what another '64 BFDR is worth. That just isn't so...despite what one certain individual thinks about collecting amplifiers.

Again, I hope that joshigh enjoys the amp for years to come....and again I think that the amp needs a professional assesment just to understand what is there and how it is running.

16. JohnFrusciante

JohnFrusciante TDPRI Member

I agree with your point that a vintage amp that is not completely original will be not desirable to the collector but the disparity in price between player grade and completely original has shrunk from what I have seen in the used market place. Hell even guitars. All original strats used to sell at 5 or 6 times the price of a Strat with a few issues now it's more like 3 or 4 times. Whether that has to do with the economy or whatever is debatable. Bottom line a competently build PTP/TB DR style amp would probably cost 1200 - 1600 from a good clone builder. So a 64 with most of its Iron intact at say 1200 or 1300 at least to me seems like a good deal.

While I'm not crazy about the cap work that was done with that particular Amp I would buy a recapped DR is good condition with a replaced PT for 1200 before I'd by a minty all original DR for 2800 but hey that's me.

BTW, I think that was nice of you to give the OP an assessment of his amp as you are clearly knowledgable about vintage Fender Amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.