Any 52RI owners keep the "original" wiring scheme?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by E5RSY, May 11, 2016.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Just curious.

Scott

2. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Presumably, you're talking about the pre-2012 version, 'cos since August 2012, the 52RI Tele has came stock from the factory with the modern wiring configuration of bridge/both/neck pickups.

If so, then yes, I did, for a while at least. I had several older 52RIs on which I was able to balance the switch between the bridge and middle settings to engage both pickups. Which was fun for a while...

But when that starts to feel like a chore, I got the soldering iron out, re-wired the switch to modern, and never looked back.

But yeah, I kinda liked the funky old wiring scheme with the pseudo bass sound on the neck pickup.

Just for the record, I've also now converted my Nocasters' wiring scheme from Blend to Modern.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm,
    Could you please inform the uninformed as to what the "original" scheme was and what it did?
    Thank You,
    Gene

4. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Sure. The 'original' wiring scheme of the older (1982-2012) 52RI Teles reflected the vintage wiring scheme of the old Telecasters of late '52 to '66. This meant, when pushed all the way back, the switch engaged the bridge pickup with volume & tone, the middle setting was neck pickup with volume & tone, and all the way forward was neck pickup with a bassy .05uF capacitor engaged to induce a pseudo 'Bass' guitar sound, similar to the neck pickup with the tone rolled all the way off. So essentially, you couldn't get the sound of both pickups on, unless you balanced the switch between positions 1 & 2. Most '52RI owners (including me at the time) re-wired the switch to modern wiring (neck/both/bridge pickups).

Since about August 2012, with the introduction of the newer 52RI Teles (model 011-0202-850), Fender has shipped them with modern wiring as standard.

5. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

No- first mod I did to mine was to change the cap and the wiring to the modern configuration. The neck position is way too dark.

6. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Rewired mine to the modern version.

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Thank you Mr. Twang Tone. Given that info, switching to modern (and/or 4-way switch) seems like a logical no-brainer!
    Thanks Again,
    Gene

8. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

You know I would love to try a Tele with the original 'original' switch wiring-the tone control acting as a blend pot. I imagine there are some unique sounds to be found that way. It worked like this as I understand it: Neck position pickup=pre-set bass tone, no tone control. Middle position=Neck alone, natural tone, no tone control. Bridge position=Both pickups on, tone control acting as the blend between neck and bridge.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's funny - I don't have a '52RE but I also almost never use the middle position (unless I flip there by accident). I'd probably keep the "old" wiring. Though I'd want to change it so:
    -back = bridge
    -forward = neck
    -middle = bass

So guess I wouldn't have kept it after all!

10. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Holic

Mine came wired with the modern set up and I've never felt the need to change it back

11. WhitW

WhitW TDPRI Member

What... if you put a 4 or 5 way switch into the 52RI wiring, so that way you didn't have to balance the switch in between positions, and it would naturally lock there itself? I don't think it even changes the wiring at all.

Is there anyone here who's tried that?

12. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

I left mine stock.

I almost always play on the bridge pick up, the neck a little, both pickups even less. For me the inbetween position is fine for both pickups. I don't mind having another sound available, the preset bassy sound.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  13. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Same here, not for the sake of the preset bassy sound (which I have no use for), but because I rarely play with both pickups on (for me, it's bridge or neck).

14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have two 52's right now... a 2003 and a 2011

The 2003 is stock while the 2011 has the modern wiring.

The funny thing for me is that I almost always play with both pickups on, so it doesn't make sense for me to keep the original wiring in my 2003 - plus I hate the muffled neck pickup setting! - yet I still have it for some sort of nostalgic reason... I guess to give me that "old school" vibe.

I'm also a little paranoid that if I change the wiring circuit it will somehow degrade the delicious tone I'm now getting. I know this is probably silly, but it's sort of like shaving your head... what if it doesn't grow back?!? :eek:

`

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
    Ricky D. likes this.
  15. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

When I bought my '52 RI it was wired in the old fashioned way and I quite liked it for ebow sounds - the lower volume and darker tone compensated for the strength of the ebow.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I know a guy with a genuine '54 Blackguard. He is a sometimes member of this forum and has a store of vintage instruments.
    He kept all original parts and wired it the new way- I agree with him.
    Why keep a relatively useless circuit??

17. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

When I was contemplating buying my 52RI, I thought I would be inclined to keep it the way it came... vintage wiring. However, it only took me a day or two before I went out and bought a soldering iron and 'fixed' it.

I know it's not identical, but you get just as bad of a sound in the neck pickup with the tone rolled all the way off.

18. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I own two, both are the modern wiring.

19. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Got a 52 "Thinskin" original wiring scheme....kinda like it that way....it's part of the charm.

20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I like B+N parallel, can't stand the old "mud position". No brainer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.