anxie-tea

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I am a bit stressed out / depressed nowadays, and have a hard time sleeping. Before i go to the doctor and i start eating pills like mints, i would like to try some natural, legal plants. If you have used some with some results, and not too foul tasting, though i can probably add a bit of honey in it, i am all ears.
Thanks !

andy__d

TDPRI Member
Not sure if this fits the category of “natural plants”, but I find a cup of cocoa (not hot chocolate, which is full of sugar) at bedtime helps me sleep when I’m stressed out.

Mike SS

Poster Extraordinaire
Not sure if this fits the category of “natural plants”, but I find a cup of cocoa (not hot chocolate, which is full of sugar) at bedtime helps me sleep when I’m stressed out.
Cocoa contains caffeine. Might not work out for everybody
My wife blends her own herbal teas. She has one her labeled "Immune and Calm". It is made with Chamomile, Hibiscus, and Red Clover. She knows her stuff about natural medicine and herbs.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Are you physically active? I'm no gym rat but I workout daily which helps mitigate stress and improves sleep.
Not really. I walk a bit, but not what you would call physically active. Lazily active, that i am.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
You can get melatonin supplement as @loopfinding suggests, but you can also try with some common plants - herbs in the form of a cup of tea which contain ingredients to calm down / relax your body:
- Catnip,
- Chamomile,
- Common hop / hops,
- Lavender (Lavandula),
- Lemon Balm,
- Valerian.

Also remember, don't drink alcohol or coffeine before going to bed and dont eat too late. Being physically active during the day also helps a lot to relieve the stress.

This are first mild steps you can do. If you continue to have problems, I would suggest to find a professional help.
I wish you all the best!

p.s. this herbs that I mentioned, you can probably also get them in the form of pills/tablets/capsules if a cup of tea is not what you prefer.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Thank you folks for the suggestions. I am going to mix everything you mentionned in a big shaker, that should get me to sleep.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Are you physically active? I'm no gym rat but I workout daily which helps mitigate stress and improves sleep.
This.

Also no gym rat but satisfying what an Apple Watch or similar pokes and prods at has made my life better. Helped up what was already getting better for a long time. Add a truly decent no fads well rounded diet.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
You can get melatonin supplement as @loopfinding suggests, but you can also try with some common plants - herbs in the form of a cup of tea which contain ingredients to calm down / relax your body:
- Catnip,
- Chamomile,
- Common hop / hops,
- Lavender (Lavandula),
- Lemon Balm,
- Valerian.

Also remember, don't drink alcohol or coffeine before going to bed and dont eat too late. Being physically active during the day also helps a lot to relieve the stress.

This are first mild steps you can do. If you continue to have problems, I would suggest to find a professional help.
I wish you all the best!

p.s. this herbs that I mentioned, you can probably also get them in the form of pills/tablets/capsules if a cup of tea is not what you prefer.
I tried putting a few lavender essence drops on my pillow, not really helpful. Chamomille tea is the next step.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Here’s what seems to help me sleep, at least most of the time:
1. Walk or other exercise for an hour in the morning or at noon. Exercise in the evening seems to stimulate me.
2. No caffeine after 10 a.m.
3. Cup of herbal tea in the evening, usually Sleepytime Extra (camomile and valerian).
4. No alcohol except in small quantity as a part of evening meal.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Lots of good ideas here. Regular walking at a minimum, hard to overstate what that'll do for mind and body. Grab a ginger root in the produce dept. and put little shavings in your herbal tea. Leave a sliver or two in your mouth to bite or dissolve. Relieves stress, among a bunch of other benefits.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I am a bit stressed out / depressed nowadays, and have a hard time sleeping. Before i go to the doctor and i start eating pills like mints, i would like to try some natural, legal plants. If you have used some with some results, and not too foul tasting, though i can probably add a bit of honey in it, i am all ears.
Thanks !
ah the old head bone needs a tune up and oil change?
Splash down and Shady rest are flavorful and very good for easing down BOTH ARE HOUSE BLENDS
Camille tea is very nice.
I personally recommend both having used the for years good before bed time .
If I may a, Complete Vitamin B complex with c and d/ time released by Natures Way ++GOOD
the is a herb store in Berkeley Ca. Called Lhasa Karnak Herb Company 2506 San Pablo Avenue Berkeley , CA 94702 (510) 548-0380 i'VE BEEN DOING BUSINESS WITH SINCE 1960'S.
caffeine and alcohol seems to help , but it only increases the problem. going for walks I bike ride , nothing fancy 30- 45 and I feel so much better
Keeping a daily journal just writing down what's on your mind really helps , then there's killing people on paper , that a dilly got a resentment, pissed of at a boss pick up the pen.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Try to get a work out in.. exhaustion of the body
helps sleep. My wife has loads of anxiety nowadays.

If you must take a pill I remember I took a half a bendryl
once..and that worked.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry to hear it. I’ve struggled with anxiety for the last 30+ years - basically my entire adult life. Only in the last year have I had some major breakthroughs with it. My wife swears by Ashwaganda. Vitamin D is good. Many of us have vitamin D deficiencies, which can cause/increase anxiety and depression.

But more than anything you can swallow or drink, pharmaceutical or otherwise, changing your lifestyle (exercise has been mentioned), habits, self-talk, how you relate to and think about anxiety or depression, are really the key, I’ve found. PM me if you like. I’m happy to share some of what’s helped me. Anxiety felt like a prison to me and maybe for the first time in my life, it doesn’t feel that way.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
1642085490677.png