Antivirus for Mac

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by w3stie, Oct 16, 2011.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

The recent attack here in TDPRI heartland got me thinking about virus / malware etc protection. What do you other Mac users recommend? I'm using OS/X 10.6.8 .

2. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

I don't recommend any. I've never used it for any of my Macs in almost 15 years. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but a person who is writing a virus wants to affect as many machines as possible. They aren't going to waste their time on an OS that has a less than 15% market share.

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Virus ? Mac's ?

That makes as much sense as "easy-to-use PC" !

Ha - just baitin' ya'll...:lol:

BTW - I knew nothing about any attack :eek:

4. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I use a Mac. What's a virus?:lol:

5. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I think it's a good idea to protect your mac. better safe than sorry and it won't hurt the performance of the mac.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/tp/aamacvir.htm

6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

7. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Macs don't get viruses. I read that on the internetz. It must be true.

8. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's been quite a while since there's been any sort of major Mac virus (1998, IIRC), and while it's certainly possible, it's not as easy to write a Mac virus, since OS X is UNIX with a prettier face, essentially. Now, I haven't run into Java exploits (YET!) so I can't comment on those...

Now, if Microsoft ever got a brain, and completely redo their system on a solid UNIX core, there wouldn't be a tenth of the virus problems we have now... of course, that would also put a lot of virus software makers out of business too... hmmm...

Franc Robert

9. smitty54017

smitty54017 Tele-Holic

The days of the virus free Mac are gone.

Mac & Linux users have tooted their horns, perhaps too loudly, for years about how safe their systems are compared to PC's. Comparatively speaking, that is true. But to suggest that you will never get a virus, or that you don't need AV software, shows a false sense of security. Viruses and trojans can run undetected on any computer. I've fixed enough to know that many people don't realize they're infected until it's too late. Imagine the sick feeling any computer user feels when they realize that their banking information and other private data has been breached and accessed by unknown cyber assailants.

As stated earlier, cyber crooks want to write their malware to affect the larger number of victims, however as the number of Mac devices (iPads, iPhones, etc) make into our hands, the greater the likelihood that those users will be attacked.

I own a Mac & 2 PC's and wouldn't run them without AV software and a firewall. I spend 99.99% of my time on a PC and haven't had ANY issues in 10 years...because I take such precautions.

Here are a couple of interesting articles that should open some eyes.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/an-applecare-support-rep-talks-mac-malware-is-getting-worse/3342

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/05/apple-working-on-mac-os-x-update-to-combat-mac-defender-malware.html

10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think I’m more danger to my Mac and PC than any wimpy virus I’ve proved more than once.

11. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

If I was the kind of guy who made viruses and malware, I'd give a lot of thought to attacking the OS used by people who don't have any kind of virus protection because they think their computers are invulnerable to attack. :p

12. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

If there's a big difference between the attacks on Mac OS X vs Windows, it is that virtually all of the vectors used to attack OS X are via social engineering. It's quite difficult to break through to UNIX via a back door such as the gaping hole that was Internet Explorer for years and years, and so most attacks are in the form of fake installers.

A savvy user can spot these easily, but it is possible that others won't thus far the numbers are very few. Apple now updates definitions continuously, and so most threats are short lived at best.

More happenings: with OS X 10.7 Lion, applications are now all sandboxed and so cannot access the kernel without special permission; this will continue to tighten. The App Store presents the biggest possible move, with the possibility that soon you'll be able to configure a Mac to ONLY run apps from the store, thus negating all other downloaded applications. For 99% of the people I know and work with, that is the way to go.

My whole company runs on OS X. No A/V software here.

13. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

Haven't ever run AV on any of my Macs - just the firewall that comes as part of OS X.

14. vcode

vcode Tele-Meister

15. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Never run anti-virus software on my Windows systems or my Macs. I do run malwarebytes on my Windows box periodically just to make sure, especially since my wife has started using it :) She's infected her Dell laptop a few times. Still no infections on my Windows or Mac boxes though.

Carl

16. ricks1950

ricks1950 Tele-Meister

Macs do have some vulnerabilities, and in the past few years a couple of hundred bits of malware have been circulating. The odds of you being infected are really quite low, except for browser born java exploits like the one that hit tdpri.com -- it is probably not a bad idea to run a scan once in a while, every couple of months or so. You do not need to have anti-virus running in background, scanning every file and process like Windows anti-virus programs tend to do.

This particular exploit installs some java code that in turn downloads a windows .exe file that does the damage. Even if your Mac or Linux box got bit, it is safe enough, in this instance.

I run a 100% Linux household, except for a Windows virtual machine that gets fired up once or twice a month, and I run anti-virus on my main server. I host a couple of non-profit web sites in my basement, and don't want to pass any crap in to the users, or out from the users via email or web. I capture a couple of dozen infected files every month; I have yet to capture one aimed specifically at the Mac or Linux, but that does not mean that they are not out there.

17. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

It's funny you ask about anti-virus software. Last night I went to log on to TDPRI and my ISP warned me that this site was recently known to have malware problems.
    I use an older Mac running 10.4 but I never had any issues (knock on wood).
    I always hear about the inevitable Mac virus, but I really don't know anyone who's had one...

18. ricks1950

ricks1950 Tele-Meister

Statistically, you have a higher probability of getting a Mac virus than you do of winning a lottery jackpot. If you buy lottery tickets in the hope of something good happening, you should probably use anti-virus on the Mac.

Statistically, a Windows box has a higher probability of being exposed to a Windows Virus today than you have of getting a losing Blackjack hand.

19. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

They make us have virus protection on our Unix boxes at the office. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.