1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Antique books

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Durtdog, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I have a rare antique first edition book, and am interested in getting it appraised, possibly selling.

Anyone here have any experience with this or know of a reputable book appraisal/consignment company?

2. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

I've no experience with an actual dealer, but I've googled a few titles and was pleasantly surprised.

3. Balou

Balou Tele-Meister

It's a telecaster forum , so I'll say Gruhn !

4. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

I was in the book business for about twenty years. I can help if you like.

5. Durtdog

PM sent

6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Y'all please post the followup...I'd be interested in the title and the apprasial value.

7. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

8. gearhead69

gearhead69 Tele-Meister

It sounds like Twelvefrets has you covered, but as a side note, there's a used book site called Abebooks that has more titles than you could imagine. I would say that doing a search on that site would give you a ballpark as to what a given book may be worth, at least in starting a search.

9. Durtdog

Yes, I found Abebooks last week and have seen several copies of the book on their website available for sale. It's a good starting point, thanks.

And Mojohand, I sent an email to Prospero, I'll let you all know what comes of it. Thank you.

10. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd start by searching for the edition you have on the internet and see what it's fetching.

11. CarterK

CarterK Tele-Meister

Addall.com is a good used book search engine. Covers a lot of used and rare sites.

12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Not sure what you got there but have a friend who dealt in old sporting books & other collectibles + another good friend who's a certified antique appraiser and does big estates etc. & has resource contacts with about everybody. PM me if you want contact info for 'em. Full disclosure: this stuff ain't my bag, just offering help if ya wish.

There are also a bunch of antique book dealers on-line etc. as mentioned.

What I do know: book condition & rarity is a big deal so an old, old book can be about worthless if it's tattered or there are a million copies outstanding. Also know that one of my favorite reads as a kid, a plain old thing called "The Hunting Rifle" or something similar by Jack O'Connor has become so dear that I can't bring myself to get a copy. Used to be about a buck, now many multiples of that for one that isn't falling apart. And it's not that old, just wanted by a lot of folks + not many copies out there.

Good luck!

13. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

Enter the book info at:

www.mxbf.com

You'll get pretty much the entire bookselling world's holdings and prices on your particular volume... n.b. condition REALLY affects price...

HTH...
    Tom

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.