Anthony Bordain

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Used to watch every episode. Now, I just can't. Maybe someday.

brookdalebill and HoodieMcFoodie like this.
  2. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

F94D5713-BF99-4CC1-A348-EC88A9A3E5FF.jpeg

telestratosonic and emisilly like this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

It certainly is...

Well, sure, but it's a part of the story now, isn't it?

4. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I was a big fan. Found his tragic end very shocking and sad. If I could afford it, I’d travel in a similar style.

One of his last episodes was a visit to the part of the country I was born and raised, southern West Virginia. Even though he was really kind, I don’t think the area came off as very appealing. Then again, maybe that was my own biases against the place.

He’s made me want to visit pretty much every place he ever showcased. He had a knack for getting to the nitty gritty.

Like someone else said about him, Petty and Williams... those types of guys left a huge empty spot in the world.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  5. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

He came here to film an episode of Parts Unknown. Everyone was so excited. My great nephew is in the business and was star struck. You can see him in the bar scene sitting to Anthony's right.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah I liked his show, you got a better feel for places he visited than your average "tourist travelogue". Wow man, I could never drink that much/often though!

Bassman8 likes this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

His friendship with Lanegan is interesting & inspiring. I wished he'd of stuck around longer as he brought a lot of happiness to people through his work. Lanegan is amazing in his own right.

Read the book. It is crazy funny.

Fuelish and basher like this.
  8. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

He did pretty awesome things when you really think about it. You go to one of these countries and ask the wrong question to somebody and they give the wrong answer and they can get killed.

9. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I agree. I just told my 9 year-old son that Bourdain had the best chef and food show in America: "No Reservations." He had an awesome staff and writers (and Bourdain was an excellent writer himself) scouting all these great locations and showed you all the down to earth street food in the countries he profiled.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Bourdain himself said that guys like Harrison made him feel like an 8 yr old. Featured him twice and really honored him. My wife and I visited Jim’s house in Leelanau a couple years ago when it was for sale and jokingly looked into buying it. Nice place/piece of property but not nearly as remote as you’d think.

Addiction experts came out after his suicide and said in no uncertain terms, that much drinking by an ex-user, whether or not he only did it while shooting, was not a good sign.

stevemc and schmee like this.
  11. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Perhaps... but Bourdain telegraphed his end for years. I do not have it right now, but there is an article somewhere detailing all the times he mentioned hanging himself on his shows or in print, and some are really specific. He's playing it for laughs, of course, but it's the sort of thing should make us sensitive when others make such seemingly harmless, self-disparaging quips.

Absolutely. And by all accounts, once he became a "celebrity" personality, he was SUPER professional; always on-time and fully engaged.

12. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

It's amazing to think how Bourdain transformed one of the stodgiest of TV formats, the travel show (I mean, have you SEEN Burt Wolf?!?), into something so exciting without even really trying (though, to be fair, so did Michael Palin). He just fell into it and changed television.

And he was self-reflective and humble enough to reckon with the "bro" legacy of restaurant chefs that he helped to publicize; I think he truly felt awful about it, and not just because he had a girlfriend who made it such an public issue.

Mike Eskimo and boris bubbanov like this.
  13. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

His shows were real. Far more than just another food show, or travel show... he showed us the good, bad and ugly of every place he visited. What I loved most was that even in the most corrupt and dangerous locations, he showed us the "real people" of the area... and they are never any different than you or I.

Just like many others, my wife and I were devastated the morning we heard the news. Of course we never knew him, but it was like losing a trusted friend.

14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

He made what he did look simple. But I've watched several newer chef's shows where they try to do the same sort of thing--travel, comment, enlighten--and it falls very flat. Haven't found one yet that was actually interesting, though David Chang is OK. Marcus Sameulsson's is just awful.

15. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

He had a great crew.

Mike Eskimo and boris bubbanov like this.
  16. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

His book Kitchen Confidential, which put him on the map, is fantastic. I can't recommend it enough.

Georox, Fretting out and fendertx like this.
  17. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Warren Zevon quote.

stevemc likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

"Parts Unknown" really made me want to travel and go to countries I'd never been to. He really covered the globe.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Part of my attraction to his stuff was my mother in law where somewhere here you can read about her still mowing the lawn in a bikini in her 50s and her coming to the US as a chef. My wife hitchhiked and did food travel in Europe and places on the Mediterranean just before we met.

In the spirit of his shows we have an international trip coming up and I've got a route planned to check out some food, farming and shopping with her that are far from the resort. Stuff that scares others but we can't wait. Anthony Bourdain was in mind as I scout places via maps and youtube.

I confess that I did not watch his later shows much and like many suicides I've been aware of kept repeating the why. I also kept repeating the why because an adventurous friend from my younger days who left corporate and started a food business killed himself when by very obvious measures he seemed to have it all.

Go make your plane reservations. Rent your car from someone local. Print your maps, leave your valuables locked up and live.

:)

20. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I really liked the Croatia episode of Part Unknown, easily one of my favorites.
    I read Kitchen Confidential and it was great. A couple years ago I downloaded the audio book and listening to Anthony read his book is so damn good. Enjoyed it more than I expected.

telestratosonic and Bellacaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.