1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Answer the question already.......lol

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I'm not surprised that a European country has a far better education system than this nation of ignorance and corruption.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You're being tougher than I am!

I think there's an opportunity to learn from other countries. Take their best ideas. Surely, for a wealthy country, that should be doable.

dented and Flakey like this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

One might deduce that it all comes down to what a society values. Follow the money.......wherever that leads one will be the answer for the question of what do we truly value in a realistic assessment.

Flakey likes this.
  4. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Our country is so totally screwed, and we let these morons vote and make decisions about who will be our leaders !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  5. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

It obviously doesn’t take much to make idiots out of these people, they were doing a wonderful job of it themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The title is garbage but someone posted it and thought it was funny .

Dumbing down ?

Jay dumbed down the Tonight Show to a ridiculous degree.

Middle-American garbage . Paved the way for Laugh-y Fallon.

Flakey likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to ask my classes, if we were reading a book set in the Civil War or one of the World Wars, to name one year during which that war was fought. Though somebody usually nailed the question eventually, the struggle always suggested a statistical lack of knowledge.

These are "college prep" freshmen and sophomores. I know for a fack that they have been exposed to these events in their history classes, and most of them passed the tests to prove it. They just forget, because they don't really care about history (or geography, I'd say) too much.

I guess I didn't either, when I was their age, but golly. . . .

dented likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Like Big Daddy said, in Finland ( where they do not test every kid -like we do - to get their sterling test scores...o_O) they value their teachers .

Here, teachers have been made the scapegoat of the entire system and demonized by the very side who continually wants to cut education funding and give tax cuts to the rich.

There is a massive teacher shortage right now and it’s only gonna get worse.

Who wants to join a profession that’s continually crapped on ?

dented and Greg_L like this.
  9. P Thought

I do! I did, turned 40 in teaching school. I just retired because I'm 65 and everything hurts, but I loved almost every minute of my time as a teacher.

Really, the kids are the same as we were, the same as kids have always been. Our culture is what's changed. It's changed big-time.

dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  10. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

There are many stupid people in the world. And there are many ignorant people. Some people are both.

Some cultures encourage both knowledge and wisdom. Some lead to idiocy (cf. “Idiocracy”).

I fear for the future.

Yes, the video is compiled solely from wrong answers, so it may seem skewed. But IMHO there were likely many many wrong answers to choose from.

People don’t know nuthin’ ‘bout nuthin’ anymore. We’re all Bugs’ maroons, I fear.

dented likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

In one of these "folks says the durnedess things" videos a women is asked the current year (nailed it!), then asked how many years ago someone was born .. um the reason why it's 2019 *AD*. She paused and declared, "250 million years ago". Wow! Perhaps his birth had something to do with the Permian–Triassic extinction.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's right when a guy graduates with a degree in pottery, it's his parents fault they won't buy him a pot factory.

13. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Yes, Dick Cavett they are not.

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I could not go longer than two minutes before getting pissed off! ( And I'm NO GENIUS)

" 52 US Senators for 52 States" ?

WTF?!?!?

dented likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I could not go longer than two minutes before getting pissed off! ( And I'm NO GENIUS)

" 52 US Senators for 52 States" ?

WTF?!?!?

16. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

For more than 100 years now, about every ten years some scholarly historical publication does a review of undergraduate student historical awareness/achievement. And EVERY time the current crop of students is labelled worse than their predecessors. Not coincidentally, their predecessors are the ones conducting the survey (and they haven't read the previous surveys). And still the world turns. People study history, read, learn, grow, and move on. Then they assess their successors and find them wanting.

It's pretty telling that Jay Leno never went out into the public with questions like "Can you solve this quadratic equation for x?" and "Can you tell me the area of this circle with a radius of 5?" Why not? Because you'd probably say, "Man, I don't remember that from school either!"

I've read the Constitution I don't know how many times, and if someone stuck a mic in my face while I was walking down Hollywood Boulevard, I'd be hard pressed to quote anything sensible inside of a 5 second window of opportunity.

Ease up. It's television, a medium used to exploit people rather than measure their intelligence.

Daniel

P Thought, ElJay370 and Greg_L like this.
  17. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Bingo.

18. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Ease up? On the internet?
    Ha!

19. BigDaddyLH

I have a word/phrase-a-day calendar, which includes a short story. Here is today's entry.

"Smart as a carrot": Very smart indeed. Walter Skeat's Glossary of English Dialects in Poetry, 1896.

Before the days of college Scholastic Aptitude tests or SATs, surprisingly difficult exams were often
    administered to determine a student's qualification for high school. In June 1885, as the school year
    came to an end, 8th-graders [!] at New Jersey's Jersey City High School were given these
    non-multiple-choice questions to answer, according to the Wall Street Journal:
    • Find the prime factors of x^4-b^4 and x^3 - 1.
    • Write a homogeneous quadranominal of the third degree.
    • Find the sum of the square roots of 16.7281 and .7225
    • Name the countries that border Russia.
    • Name the three principal mountain ranges of Asia, Europe and Africa.
    • Write a declarative sentence and change it to an imperative, to an interrogative, and to an exclamatory one, and punctuate it properly.
    • Write a sentence using a noun as an attribute, a verb in the perfect tense potential mood, and a proper adjective.
    • What events are associated with the years 1565, 1607, 1664 and 1776?
    • Name three events of 1777. Which was the most important, and why?
    • In America's Civil War, who captured Fort Donelson?
    • Name the states on the west bank of the Mississippi and their capitals.

Flakey, dented and P Thought like this.
  20. P Thought

duh

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.