1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Answer the question already.......lol

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Jun 9, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I hear ya. I'm all for focusing on oneself in the sense that our selves do require a lot of work, we're the ones most responsible for ourselves, don't waste your time fussing with what is other people's responsibility to themselves.

But as a teacher, parent, neighbor, citizen, etc., I've got to worry about others. And it does worry me when people sabotage themselves with toxic addictions, whether to knowledge-blocking e-habits or not knowing what they should to help keep us from destroying the planet sooner than overpopulation ultimately will.

Jeez, what gloomy debate for a rainy Monday! I'm pouring coffee on my Tele and unplugging elsewhere for a while. Best to all, fellow earthlings! (One of "None" planets in our solar system, by the way, according to a FLA (Future Leader of America)).

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

By true angel, perhaps you mean someone who is willing to put up with all of that, despite low pay and general societal and political disregard and purposeful lack of support. There was a time when both respect and job/retirement security were part of the entire package.

Teachers are humans. Humans want to work in careers with good pay and decent respect and environment. Pretty simple, really. Drastically increasing salaries and ceasing snipping away at retirement and medical benefits, as well as increasing socio-occupational support for teachers (apart from training and management support. Actual social support. Better sick leave and childcare policies, for a start? Better advocacy and legal/ethics support from administration would be even better), could go a long way. I look forward to the day when I don't have to help teachers pay for basic classroom necessities. Not that I don't want to. I just figure their employer should be covering them. Y'know, like EVERY OTHER PROFESSIONAL FIELD DOES.

And the first person who replies with "but they get three months off", gets a cyberboot to the head.

Make the field competitive with non-teaching professional careers, and the good ones will come, and eventually weed out the deadbeats.

Stopping here, as there is no way to avoid politics from here on out. I'm in WV, for those of you paying attention to the news the last couple of years. 'Nuff said.

ElJay370, Flakey and beach bob like this.
  3. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

A sterling example of America's future leadership!

I now gratefully accept that I am old. I do not want to be here when this trainwreck crashes.

dented and getbent like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kewl.

EDIT: Hey, just a minute there, buster!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    dented and Greg_L like this.
  5. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I'm with ya. It sucks that someone else's indifference and bad decisions can affect those of us that try to do better. But....that's just life. Life sucks then you die.

6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Agreed 100%. Teachers are one of our most important professions, and they are treated like absolute garbage. It's a losing career, and it will only attract losers that way.

Whatizitman and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

I can understand people being nervous with a camera turned to them, but I recently posted a video where people were shown a world map and asked to point out *any* country on the map. Any! How hard is that? Okay some weren't listening and pointed out "Africa". When the interviewer said Africa was a continent, not a country, and gave them a second go, they still failed. Even if they are editing out correct answers, how can an adult not be able to point out a single country? Americans being unable to find their own country?! One fellow pointed to Alaska and said, "Greenland?" *Sad*

dented, Owenmoney and LocoTex like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

One of those videos that worried me was taken when North Korea was in the news for ... let's just say bad stuff. The video was "point at North Korea on a map" and one person pointed at Canada?! :eek: I just hope he isn't in change of where the missiles go.

dented likes this.
  9. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can’t point out North Korea on a map, or Vietnam.

10. BigDaddyLH

Korea. Can you point out Japan? If so, look at the most southerly of its four main islands, Kyushu. The Korean peninsula sticks out close to Kyushu -- Korea likes firing test missiles that way!

[​IMG]

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I work with teachers every day... the only part that they find truly degrading is that they have to hear a bunch of crap from people who mostly don't know what their life is. If people would quit repeating the same bs about teachers and just let them do their work.. the rest would be tolerable...

there have always been bad parents, and kids who didn't 'get it' and money has always been tight and the pay low... the big difference is the chuckleheads who pile on the teachers who are doing the best they can.

Teachers are sometimes angels in the flesh, they are not masochists, but most are just driven to help kids and work with them even in difficult situations... I was a teacher for 10 years and loved it. All of it. The only part that made me angry or shake my head was hearing from some ignorant person about how bad teachers were and how blah blah blah... this the world, there will always be problems... the one thing the world is not short of is arm chair experts and quarterbacks who never leave the porch...

Wanna know what kids are like? go volunteer. go hire one.

We got home from the mtns last night to get a message that one of my wife's 'kids' didn't have the right pants for her job that begins today (that my wife drove her to the interview after watching her fill out the application and helping her hunt for the job.)

My wife was frustrated, but at 7:30 pm on a sunday, we jumped in the car, drove the 15 miles to the kids house, she came out to the car and very politely greeted me by name, shook my hand and thanked me for helping her. We drove to Kohls, got the pants, took her home and as of 15 minutes ago, she has her first job.

This kid was irresponsible for not thinking about the pants til yesterday. She is also a foster kid who has been in and out of homes her whole life, her birth parents in and out of jail, drugs, violence, this kid has had a mostly horrible life. My wife got her paired with a good foster family and things are better the past 3 years... this girl will go to college next year.... she just graduated from high school and she is 'full of life'... I don't know how she'd do if Jay Leno used her as the goal for his comedy... but I know she isn't the child we knew 3 years ago....

One thing about teachers and social workers and people who actually do something--> they are relentless and don't give up EVEN when people watching tv and grazing the internet find fault with them instead of pitching in... it isn't really money that is needed, it is cooperation, respect, actual help and if we can't do that... are we really a community or just so many mice taking up residence?

12. getbent

it is pretty bad right now (by all these definitions) you may wanna, you know....

but it is weird to think "gosh, when it gets really hard, I don't want to be there"

I have heard that some people see a house fire and run to it to see if there is someone who can be helped and some run away....

choices!

13. getbent

it would be fun to run the same test (umm, can I borrow your time machine) in the 1930's or 1850's... not to the ELITE who could read, not to rich and learned people... I'd bet we'd be surprised....

I think I am going to swipe left on this.

14. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

This was my last year teaching and you have hit the issue spot on! Prior to teaching I had worked in the corporate world and had I been given the resources to operate my classroom with the support that I had when I ran my own department in the private sector it would have been easier to do the job and for my students to be successful. I did spend my own money for items for my students. Things that if I asked my employees to pay for any company would have closed up for lack of workers. A society's education system should't be run like it is a charity and teachers didn't take a vow of poverty. In short, even I couldn't afford to stay in teaching in the long run. It's more difficult for a 20 something teacher with student loans, the cost of living, and maybe even a young family to do so.

And, yes, that three months off business. Most of the teachers I know work a summer job, are taking classes for CEUs, working on their graduate degrees or teaching summer school.

15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

And some run to it only to pull out their Iphone to record the house burning to the ground with those still inside and then say, "Gee, what a tragedy! I hope someone does something! Well, at least I'll get more viewers to my Youtube channel. "

16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I read somewhere that half of new teachers quit within 5 years. That's an astounding rate of turnover. I believe teacher's start with good intentions and their joy is systematically squashed over time by a horrible workplace environment.

Flakey likes this.
  17. getbent

such a dark and gloomy place! I'm gonna self select the light.

18. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Ah, the power of agency!

getbent likes this.
  19. getbent

https://www.browngirlmagazine.com/2018/07/5-reasons-teachers-quit/

It is a very very hard job... I think (and there is good data to support it) that #4 and #1 are the key. If we supported teachers the way we do firefighters and military personnel... it would be a HUGE affective change for them.

(okay, the suicide rate is through the roof for military personnel and way more effort is needed to treat ptsd... but, more folks in the military re-up than ever before)

Flakey likes this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

Finland often gets mentioned for the quality of its public schools. Teaching there has considerable status, and it's a desirable profession. Hmmm...

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.