1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Answer the question already.......lol

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Jun 9, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The guy asking who won the civil war -- trick question! There have been many civil wars around the world.

Flakey likes this.
  2. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Not only in yours, mate

dented likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The correct answers could trigger all kinds of random phobias so I guess they just don't teach them the answers to questions like that anymore. I bet they know more about phobias than earlier generations do though..

The parents should have done a better job with these kids as much as the education system.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    howardlo, dented and Flakey like this.
  4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The power of the edit

getbent and Greg_L like this.
  5. LzeroKI

LzeroKI TDPRI Member

Well, it's not like they'd keep and show the footage of all the young people that got the questions right....

Not to mention, hasn't Leno been doing this bit for almost 30 years?

getbent and P Thought like this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

True...but what about the all-too-common situation where the teacher is only allotted time to teach a standardized test & not nurture creativity & curiosity? Art, music, & industrial arts have virtually disappeared in many American school districts.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

So, in essence they are ‘testing to the curve’, right?

8. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Agreed. Jay Leno is an unfunny cheeseball, but he's a celebrity with a camera and a microphone putting people on the spot. Some of them may be dumb, some of them may be starstruck, I doubt all of them are really as stupid as he makes them appear. A lot of those questions are easy. They're also very unimportant. You can live a very long successful life without knowing or caring that a blue whale is the largest animal on earth.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I think so. Remember that throughout the '80s and '90s, the country was in a mild panic over how low our scores had sunk compared to Japan's, South Korea's, etc.? To mollify American parents and keep the tests something required by colleges and thus profitable to the test companies, flattering the national psyche by making the tests easier to bump the scores, and outrightly recalibrating scores to bump them further, were the routes taken. Vanitas over veritas, indeed.

This isn't to say that a lot of the communications technology that the last few generations are cocooned in doesn't and can't foster an immense about of convenient learning. Of course it can. I daily see some of my students learn stuff in a moment, or at least instantly get access to stuff, that would have taken prior generations days to be able to order from inter-library loan. My Physics friend figures out little angles of the universe running programs with his cohorts in China. So it's a double-edged sword thing.

But the side that's cutting cuts deep and wide. And, it seems, ever more so. The habits of mind and effects on character that are negative can be very negative--addictingly, intensifyingly negative.

When we don't have to work, wait for gratification, and then work some more for something; when we can click rather than plan; when we can, 24/7, instantly alleviate boredom and instantly reward ourselves for any stress and thus train ourselves to "need" reward that's ever more animated, ever easier, ever more vivid, training our brains to "need" that; when our innate narcissism is put on a slip-and-slide with no end in sight, and we feel ever more compelled to out-compete others' ever-accelerating narcissism--watch me blink on Facebook! insta-like every gram I have!, etc., etc.--we're making ourselves, and huge swaths of the populace, de facto meth heads. Hit the beach at Normandy when we can't look up at the water because we're stuck down in our phones?

Plus, in a country--really, a world--that depends on a relatively shared and rigorously reasonable understanding of shared facts, e-cocooning is a toxic thing. Citizenship requires habits of self-control, reasoning, reality-recognition, gratification delay, and drudgery tolerance that almost every effect of hi-tech communications militates against.

No wonder that, year after year, decade after decade, my most successful students uniformly report that their parents limited their TV, phone, and internet time; made them clean the yard or help a neighbor before they could have X, and X only, time at the TV or or computer or phone; made them earn against, make wise choices about, and live within limits, and plan.

That said,
    1) Book smart ain't the same thing as human(e) smart. Lots of genuinely knowledgeable, intelligent, achieving people are cold b-words who do a lot more harm than good. Gimme a good heart with some knowledge and problem-solving (and a good sense of humor) over a lousy heart with lots of brains any time.

2) The forum is an exception, of course. Checking it 10 times a day, when I'm stuck working at the computer, is not meth-ing around, 'cause so many funny, informative people post here. (It's my compulsive YouTubing and MLB checking that are my own version of this problem!)

3) Mr. Wisdom here has great kids and friends, but done did marry badly THREE (count 'em!) times. (I also just realized that I left some windows open last night, though I knew it was supposed to rain again, against that side of the house.)

I am my own banana peel.

JL_LI, dented, Flakey and 4 others like this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I am very surprised. I thought we were the only ones. How sad.:(

11. RoscoeElegante

Fer sure. But insofar as many of those questions were tests of factual knowledge generally, recent recall (most of the people asked those questions were still in school, or recent high school or college grads), and basic problem-solving (with the questioner giving them hints), they were often pretty fair tests of basic knowledge, recall, and reasoning.

A citizenry that doesn't know basic facts, can't problem-solve in basic ways, can't remember what it recently supposedly learned, but knows the latest Kardashian gossip instead, is a citizenry that's imperiling itself.

And caring about certain animals may be a reliable sign of how much one cares about one's planet.

dented likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've seen a bunch of these videos, not just with Jay Leno, and the picture they paint is one of ignorance on any topic, save the Kardashians. Are they editing out right answers, yes, but the real question is just what percentage of people are this clueless, and I claim the answer to that is the percentage is too high.

You can test this yourself. Turn around in the grocery store line and ask the person behind you some of these questions.

howardlo and dented like this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I always feel weird about the jay walking stuff where it seems 'all in good fun' but it is truly damning (and forever because youtube) to people who don't know the correct answers.

I've always done well on tests and actually like them, so, it is all foreign to me... I think my kids would do well on the questions I saw, but I think NONE of them would ever volunteer to 'play'... So, I have a feeling that 'willingess' to be tested by Jay is probably part of the metric.

14. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Every teacher I know struggles with balancing their own curriculum with federally mandated requirements. But all of them tell me that engaged parents equal engaged students. And they work very, very hard to do the best they can with what they're given.

On another note, yeah this is a tired old late night talk show gag. They interview a bunch of young people and edit together the 5 that gave less-than-informed responses so us old folks can make fun of them. We can then smugly declare how much better our generation was and then blame them for anything that makes you angry or uncomfortable. My wife and I work with plenty of younger adults. They're not as lazy and dumb as your television would have you believe.

Much of it can also be chalked up to youthful indiscretion. I like to think I'm a pretty intelligent, relatively well-spoken adult. But I guarantee that if you had interviewed me at 22 I probably would've said some pretty stupid s**t.

dented, Flakey and Whatizitman like this.
  15. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

No, to me, what this "tests" is one's knowledge of basic mundane trivia questions...under unnecessary pressure. Any one of those "dummies" could be very highly skilled at their actual job, and that's all that really matters. Any one of those kids might seem stupid, and they probably are, but they're also not done yet. They might become a very highly skilled person at their actual job, and that's all that matters.

Manual Slim likes this.
  16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

No thanks. I do all of my daily talking to random dummies on internet forums. :cool:

dented and nvilletele like this.
  17. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I support teachers wholeheartedly, and I agree.

That said, teachers and students are humans just like the rest of us. I've had plenty of situations of being an 'engaged' parent, but made to feel I was really just helicoptering, and my kids suffer as a result. Fortunately, that's not too often. But it happens, with both teachers and administrators. I have several friends in this area - many of them highly educated and engaged, and in fact work in careers that involve advanced child development knowledge - with similar experiences. I've also had plenty of times when I'm clearly doing all the work trying to motivate my kid, to little avail. I think I can count on one hand during these times when a teacher went above and beyond to try to help me out. If a kid shows any sign of 'not paying attention', more than a few teachers tend to write off those kids pretty quick.

EDIT: see the thread on teaching guitar *cough cough*. Ok, not public school. But teaching and learning are universal.

All humans in an imperfect and highly politicized system. It is what it is.

ElJay370 likes this.
  18. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I don't know why anyone would want to be a teacher. Parents suck, kids suck, budget cuts suck, red tape sucks, it's a thankless, low paying, overworked job.

Anyone that wants to be a teacher in today's climate is either a true angel or a total masochist.

19. RoscoeElegante

Well, okay, but doesn't this define robots? A robot pre-programmed to zap sheet metal welds "knows" what X lap to zap with what Y of energy for what Z of time, at what A angle.

Doesn't being a thinking, dutifully informed, self-enrichingly curious person (and citizen, and voter, and (future) parent) involve a lot more than being highly skilled at one's actual job?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  20. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

It should, but no, not really. We are surrounded daily by mindless masses running on scheduled auto-pilot and life still goes on. Many people thrive without so much as overheating a single brain cell. Make yourself better if you choose to and don't worry about anyone else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.