Another 'what are you reading' thread......

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I read Space years ago. I thought it was great. He is a great writer, but the length of his books have kept me from making the commitment of starting any others. My mother loved his books.

I posted what you quoted a year ago today, 8/30/20. I still haven't finished Alaska. I seem to loose interest when Michener' s books catch up to modern-day times.

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm currently reading book 7 in The Expanse series. Highly recommended for any Sci-Fi fans.
Got it, and I agree. I just read books 1 - 3 in less than three weeks. I am waiting for my son to visit again and bring me the next 6.
I'm passing time with the 3 Sylvain Neuvel books, The Themis files.

jkingma

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got it, and I agree. I just read books 1 - 3 in less than three weeks. I am waiting for my son to visit again and bring me the next 6.
I'm passing time with the 3 Sylvain Neuvel books, The Themis files.
I've got the first of those Neuvel books in my Amazon cart at the moment.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Lately
The financial lives of the poets - Jess Walters
The Ends of the World - Peter Brannen
Human Voices - Penelope Fitzgerald
The Songlines - Bruce Chatwin
Laughing Boy - Oliver La Farge
Pretty Shield - Frank Linderman

Current
The god of small things - Arundhati Roy
Monte Cassini - Matthew Parker

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Do most of you read a paper book, or do you 1) use an e-reader or 2) listen to audio books?

My wife and one of my best friends pretty much just listen to books anymore. I like my Kindle for its convenience (especially when travelling), but I do occasionally still read a real book with pages :) I prefer paperback to hard cover.

Cloodie

Tele-Meister
Samuel Pepys Diary - It's 10 years worth of diaries from someone who lived in 17th century London through some major historical events, i.e. the restoration of the monarchy, the great fire of London and the plague. It's the day to day things that are amusing though, going out and getting drunk and 'spewing', being disappointed that the neighbour's maid has gone as he wanted to sleep with her and he can't sleep with his own 'wench' while his wife is away as he is afraid she is too honest and will tell his wife.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
I recently read Franzen’s novel Crossroads and found it to be a John Updike novel set in the late 1970s. It seems to accurately depict the dynamics of being a youth pastor in a white suburb of Chicago and some hip worship musicians trying to balance music, sex, and the pull of secular stages. A church youth group trip to the Navajo Reservation is disastrous.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Recently finished 1493. Truly fascinating look at the movement of people, disease, food, wealth and ideas since the globe became a globe.
220px-1493_Mann_Knopf_2011.jpg
Yes great book. He also has “1491” which is about what the continent was like before, you know. Also very fascinating. Sometimes we are tricked into thinking of the “new world” as this vast vacant unknown place just waiting to be “discovered.” But it was actually very densely populated and home to very sophisticated civilizations.

markal

Tele-Afflicted
I just finished The Birth of Loud by Ian S Port and just started Hope in the Dark by Rebecca Solnit. Whiplash!

I don’t read much fiction but the last novel I read was Matrix by Lauren Groff and that was good.

old soul

Tele-Holic
This is more of a coffee table book for gawkin' and dreaming, along with my assistant.
For actual reading I've been on a tim dorsey kick. Local author who captures Floridas strangeness very well.

Attachments

• 20220127_201244.jpg
    20220127_201244.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220127_200508.jpg
    20220127_200508.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 21