1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Another vintage snowblower.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Sep 30, 2020.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Even though the local dump implemented a no scavenging policy, sometimes over at the scrap metal pile, I can't help myself. Couple weeks back two coworkers and I spotted this old Ariens and tossed it in.
    It's from the late 60s or early 70s and from the looks of the paint on the auger, it wasn't used much. First up getting the motor running, no spark. So clean the points. Then clean the carb and on a Tecumseh carb you need a rebuild kit because there's plugs you destroy pulling them out, unless you're lucky and I wasn't. Go online for a kit, 15 bucks, new carb 21 bucks. Yeah I got the new carburetor.
    Thing runs great, even has electric start! I'll put a new belt on it, just to be sure, oil change and a few odds and ends, then it's going to my oldest daughter's place. She's got a cheap newer one her neighbors gave her now. This old thing will be a big improvement for maybe 50 bucks and some dinking around. They just don't make um like they used to. . :) 20200930_123150.jpg

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Nice find.
    It does seem like it would have no trouble cutting concrete
    compared to my wimpy one.

BobbyZ likes this.
  3. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Nice find. In your neck of the woods will you need chains or more aggressive tread to get full use out of it? The factory tires look like they're made for a North Carolina winter.

BobbyZ likes this.
  4. BobbyZ

Good point on the chains Mick !
    I better get some ordered for it. I use chains on the old Allis Chalmers I use.

5. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Great project

BobbyZ likes this.
  6. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

my brother has been on an an old snowblower kick. he has 3 or 4 oldies, all dual stage. we went through a couple of them last week. plus, my neighbor gave me one. all Tecumseh powered. they went out of business maybe 10 years ago and it surprised me that the carb has been repopped and is available cheap. that was the fix for one. I have the plunger/dial indicator to set piston height from my old motorcycle days so setting the points was no problem. the one I got from the neighbor only needed a shear pin in the drive, so easy fix there. yeah... love the old monsters

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

They don't even sell snow blowers here .

Thinliner and BobbyZ like this.
  8. BobbyZ

I'll keep my eye open for you, maybe I can find you a good one. Although in Tennessee you might want to see if you can order in a new one that runs on propane. Not sure if that's an option on snowblowers, real popular on ice augers now.
    No worries about the gas going bad. :)

Probably don't sell many ice augers down there either.

MickM and tery like this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I chuckled at that
    I dated a woman in Denton, Tx back in the ‘80s and found out she stopped at a gas station and the attendant asked about the power plug on her grill. She said that they didn’t know what a block heater was and decided to move there

BobbyZ and tery like this.
  10. BobbyZ

My father in law tried to buy a block heater for his Peugeot diesel in Dallas Tx in the mid 80s. Don't think he ever got one, parts store guys had no idea what he was even talking about.
    Honestly think he just had a glow plug or a few burned out, but he never listened to me, I let him go on his wild goose chase.
    Funny what happened to that Peugeot. But first you gotta understand my ex father in law. .
    Guy was pretty much a dead beat but he liked fancy things. He'd buy cars or sailboats finance them, often from private sales and not pay them back. His mother bailed him out of countless financial problems. Nice guy, just worthless.
    So he puts an ad in the paper to sell the Peugeot, probably needed money. A guy comes over, loves the car, and rights out a check. Then he says, "oh darn I wrote the check out for $300 too much and it's my last check blank."
    Probably the first time in my father in law's life that he wrote out a $300 check, that cleared the bank, was that day.
    Of course the other guy's check did bounce, but he had the car, a signed title and 300 bucks.
    Father in law was mad as heck! Not sure what made him madder, loosing the car that he probably never paid off and the 300 bucks, or not thinking up that scam.

11. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Glad you lucked out, but...I feel sorry for anyone who lives anyplace where they need a snow blower!

BobbyZ likes this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Nice work. Rarely need one around here. After my heart surgery 10 yeas ago my wife bought a small electric one for me that was just over a foot wide. I used it probably once a year or so but didn't need it much more than that. It broke last year but not sure if I'll replace it or not.

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.