1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Another trussrod channel question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by LeftyAl, Nov 27, 2014.

1. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Sorry to bring this up again.I thought I understood that the channel is not flat.I was looking at youtube today and all the videos seem to show people using their router to make a straight flat channel.I'm sure I remember seeing here on TDPRI,someone making a jig that left a curved route .Did I miss something?

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Depends on what rod you are using. A traditional Fender single rod works in a curved channel that is routed into the neck. The 2 way hot rod styles are in a flat channel. You can make the flat rout on a router table or jig, or even using the router and a router guide.

This was a thread for a bass neck truss rod jig, same idea but is longer obviously:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/diy-tool-shed/526847-complete-truss-rod-jig-build.html

Here is a curved guitar rod jig thread. Others can be found with the search feature above.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/288763-single-action-truss-rod-channel-jig.html

3. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

If you are doing a Fender style compression truss rod, you need to rout a curved channel.

4. guitarbuilder

5. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

thanks for the info.I wonder is the curved trussrod channel the preferred style?It seems to me to make sense.

6. guitarbuilder

I'd say the curved rod causes more neck reaction for less turns of the adjustment nut than a straight rod, so if you are using a single rod, then yes and it is more preferred by tradition more than anything else. Is it imperative....no.

7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I always use dual action rods... for 2 reasons.

1 - it's easier to rout a flat channel than a curved channel.
    2 - if you ever develop back-bow a dual rod will adjust for that.

I'm working on a project right now that I want to "look" vintage correct but I'm using a dual action truss rod... so I have added a fake skunk stripe to the back.

8. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

9. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Do a flat channel for your first one. Its easier and the 2way rods adjust for upbow and backbow.

The truss rods cost more, but they're worth it. I recommend LMI's truss rods because they're just flat 1/4" channel so the install is super easy. StewMacs 'hot rods' are also flat channel but they require an odd size bit (or careful routing of the channel in 2 passes with a smaller bit).

The curved channel one way rod is nice because its vintage correct and the rod itself is cheap to make if you have a tap and die set.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.