Another Strat Pickups Thread

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by alathIN, Aug 21, 2019.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Didn't want to hijack the other one.

Building a S-S-S strat and mulling over pickup choices.
    I usually like vintage style low output pickups and I am looking for the classic strat tones.

I do not mind a reasonable amount of noise. I do like the artifacts and harmonics and even microphonics you get from vintage style pickups (within reason) so not looking for noiseless.

If I could change one thing from basic vintage strat, it would be to have a fuller more robust tone from the bridge pickup. I like bright, but I dont like thin.

Anyone with my tastes found a setup they like?

2. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I have NOT tried the Bootstrap Strat pickups but I have tried their Tele pickups. Really great sound w/o a lot of $$$. Give them a shout and I'm sure they can help you. Just a satisfied customer.

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Rob Distefano that's who you're looking for.

alathIN likes this.
  4. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

CS ‘69s are good on paper and sound good in the neck and middle but I found them a little bland and thin in the bridge. Maybe mixing and matching sets might get you the right combination.

Some sets do have a bit more oomph in the bridge though. I love the 2008-2012 American Standard pickups because they beefed up the bridge but they otherwise sound pretty Strat-like.

alathIN likes this.
  5. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Am not a start player regularly..do like em..for studio work..i come to appreciate the tex mex pups..for classic strat sounds...it covers a lot of ground..plays well in Fender & Marshall circuits

6. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

alathIN and bo like this.
  7. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Tons of options for what you're looking for.

I wanted something very similar when I decided to replace my gold lace sensors a few years ago and installed the Lollar Dirty Blonde set. A slightly hotter bridge without sacrificing the traditional strat sounds, and retaining plenty of quack in pos. 2 and 4. Really couldn't be happier with them.

alathIN likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Many fine pickup options. You can even grab some MIM ceramic or Squier ceramic, and with good pots/caps they can sound good too.

As for noise, use shielded cable to the jack and Nashua aluminum flashing tape in the cavities and back of the pickguard.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Check out the Tonerider range. They are so similar to Bill Lawrence's Wilde pick ups and the same price.
    I know, there's Seymour Duncan, Cavaliers and so on. They might suit your needs,especially if you play in small bars etc.( no commercial affiliations).

Guitarteach likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What he said. Run the Tex Mex set low to the pickguard and get close to classic Strattone. The hotter bridge pickup has the punch you want.

bftfender likes this.
  11. lost sailor

lost sailor TDPRI Member

+1 on 57/62s

slauson slim and Jim W like this.
  12. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I went to his website and saw he offers a mixed set: 60s SRV Tiger for the middle and neck positions, and "Bengal Tiger" for the bridge - longer pole pieces so more windings '- for "higher output and fat tone."
    Kind of sounds like what I'm looking for.

The Seymour Duncan pickup selector app gave me:
    A: vintage mid and neck with a quarter pounder bridge or
    B: antiquity mid and neck with a custom staggered bridge

TeleTex82 likes this.
  13. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I would shoot him an email and let him know exactly what sound you are trying to get. You are going to find few people as knowledgeable as Rob and even fewer who are as straight forward and honest. I went with 60's neck and middle, and a Bengal bridge. I did a neck pup blend and a no load tone mods. To me these pups sound like the quintessential strat tones of the late 60s but with a bridge pickup that actually SINGS.

telemnemonics and alathIN like this.
  14. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Solid advice.

15. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Emailed him and heard back already. I liked the 60s SRV / Bengal tiger combo.
    But he said he has a lot of the same tastes/requirements I do - another fingerstyle guy - and his favorite strat setup is 50s tiger for neck and middle, 60s SRV bridge.
    Sounds like a strong recommendation.

That looks like a good setup too.
    I sent them the same email I sent Rob Distefano so we'll see what they say.
    You're right their prices are about half other folks' premium pickups.

16. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I have 4 sets. fender 57/62's, fender fat 50s, van zandts, and stock classic vibe 60s pickups which are the OEM version of the tonerider classic blues set. I like them all a lot, but i gotta tell you the one that i think matches your description best and might also be my fav in a rosewood board strat is the tonerider/CV60s set. Bridge is bright enough but not thin, neck is fat and has a lot of harmonic richness, which i think is what u meant by "artifacts". Middle is RW tho it still quacks nice in the in between positions. I gotta tell you, in all my years of playing strats, and thats decades, this is the first time i preferred the stock pickups to my fav sets. Or at least like them as much as any.

alathIN likes this.
  17. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I got a set of the Kent Armstrong Texas set for 40 bucks on reverb. They are killer. I’m particular about strat pickups and these are what a Texas Special should sound like. They are hard to find used. And I notice the price is about a 150.00 for a new set. I’d pay that. They’re hot but still have that chime and push an amp we’ll or lower them a tad and they sound like a fat 50. Good luck.

alathIN likes this.
  18. richiek65

richiek65 Tele-Afflicted

Big fan of Tex Mex here
    Great bridge tone

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Like you, I like a low output Strat set but don’t like the sound of a low wind Strat bridge by itself. I wound myself a set with a tapped bridge where the tap was wound to the same spec as the middle and neck, and the hot was +10%. I wired it with a Super Switch so position one is the bridge hot lead and position 2 is the bridge low output tap with the middle. I really like how it works out.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.