1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Another slapback thread...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by revelator, Apr 6, 2014.

1. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

THANKS GUYS! Keep them coming

anybody tried the Malekko 616? seems similar to Carbon Copy but with easier access to mod settings

2. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

I use a wampler analog echo for slapback

3. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Danelectro BLT. It's sole purpose is slapback, that's all it does and does it well.

4. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

My favorite delays for slap over the years have been:

Maxon AD-999
    Keeley modded DD-5
    Moogerfooger MF-104

And surprisingly, one of my cheaper boxes, a BYOC digital delay which has a high pass filter for analog sound (much like the Keeley).

Been eyeing the new Maxon AD-10, really like the demos on that one. I never bonded with the AD-9.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can you elaborate on why you want a dedicated slapback instead of just adjusting the El Cap or Boss as needed? Do you do multiple delay types in one song? Thanks.

6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I'm curious too. :D

7. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

That's why. The sets I do have very tight transitions between songs & the DD5 is a pain to switch setting on the fly. The El Cap is easier but I use it for washy delay & like to add that at points in songs on top of slapback.

8. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

9. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Fair warning: delays are more important to me than any other inanimate objects. Including dirt pedals and Fender Telecasters. :cool:

* As mentioned in my previous post, one size doesn't fit all, not all delays are created equally. At least not in my world.

I originally bought the AnalogMan ARDX20 that's on my main live board to use for both slapback and longer delays. After a point I realized that I wasn't really warming up to it for slapback, and was missing more of a DM-2 type slap. Didn't have much room left on my board so the Mooer Ana Echo was a good fit. I love the ARDX20 for longer delays; what I've been doing in recent months is to set the two channels up for the same delay time (varies, typically between about 450-600 ms), but with different wet/dry mix & regeneration repeats for each channel. So for longer delay times, I can choose between very subtle or slightly more wet w/ more regeneration. Or of course stomp the Mooer for slap. Or the Diamond Quantum Leap for atmospheric/trix.

* For years I would decide what I wanted for particular tunes and bend down and adjust my Maxon AD-900 (currently on my alternate board). It has sharpie markings for my fave settings, including Sun Records era - Elvis. Not only did I tire of bending over to make adjustments at shows, I also found that I missed the ability to be spontaneous with my choices. Different delay settings cause me to play differently and it's nice to not be locked in. Slapback seems to promote the chicken pickin' stuff for me (even if I'm playing, say, R&R), whereas longer delay makes me slow down and milk the notes. I like not choosing the same approach night after night, especially on tunes I've done a bunch.

* Because I know how conservative the TDPRI Stompbox forum community is, I didn't mention the fact that both of my boards have THREE delays on them. :D Oops I guess I just did. I'm a full time musician that does a lot of sideman work with a lot of different acts in a lot of different musical styles. I like knowing that I can carry my board to the three different shows I have on the books this week and have it covered, whether I'm playing straight up rockabilly, covering Peter Gabriel, or doing some R&B that wants some doubling on single note riffs.

I've been through multis and boxes like Line 6 DL-4 (great trick box, not a fan for general ambience), and others of the ilk... no interest in stuff like TC Flashback X4, the Strymon stuff (do love my Flint though), none of that... I like boxes that bring out the best of what I do and for me that has amounted to choosing specific/multiple boxes.

So there you have it, sincere confessions of an incorrigible delay slut junky, whether you really wanted it or not!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  10. Tim Bowen

I use a Malekko Ekko 616 (early, v1, not the newer "dark") and MXR Carbon Copy (also early, v1) on my alternate board. Both do pretty good slap. I chose the Malekko for longer delay times mostly because I like modulated delays and it has the onboard knobs for such as you've noted. Be aware though that the Malekko's depth knob for the mod is definitely a 'sweet spot' operation, at least on my v1; anything above about 9:00 or so is ridonkulous over-the-top seasick warble. The Carbon Copy is darker/thicker than the Malekko, and I was surprised to like it as much as I do for slapback. That said, I personally would probably still choose the Mooer over these two for dedicated slap. Note however that there is no mod for "wow & flutter" in the Ana Echo, but I've always preferred slap w/ no mod, personally.

11. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Me too. I've got it on an auxiliary board, where I mainly used it for longer times. For that purpose, it is good at not being overwhelming with my more gonzo'd dirt boxes, and w/o disappearing altogether either.

...But the slap - that was surprising, and it was a fairly recent discovery (with it on the auxiliary board).

This is again an issue of one size does not fit all IMO - no doubt about it.

Despite that, I can honestly say that my Dan Echo is possibly the one delay that I've used with almost every rig, and at least have it work for slapback, and typically longer times too.

I've also been surprised more of late with my BBE Two Timer. For an analog 2-in-1, I can see how it wouldn't work for some as its longest delay time is anything but long, there's no mod, and the two delays share some controls. It handles a bunch of different dirt boxes, guitars, and even combo'ed with my comp in relatively good fashion, for me. At least that's my impressions as of now. For me, stuff like delay either just really works or it doesn't. Either the delay integrates itself properly or it doesn't.

...Maybe my older TT now sounds better because I painted over the stupid graphic on it. :eek:

I also have zero bias towards either digital or analog delays as I've gotten both the best and worst sounds from each type. As the dirt/grind/fuzz goes up, the digitals IME seem to have an edge, but right now the analogs are pulling ahead 2 vs. 1. That's only because the D.E. is too big for any of my boards, at least partly. ;)

12. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm glad to see that the newer Two Timer has dispensed with that tacky cartoon. Not throwin' any stones or anything, but I can't imagine taking that one to church with me. :lol:

13. artdecade

That's exactly the type of pedal that needs some Church. :lol:

14. Tim Bowen

I miss my Dan Echos! They really did sound great. The purple Danos were part of my re-entry into floor stomps after finally retiring the dreaded rack o' doom. I started having some problems with them, began researching other stuff, bought the Maxon AD-900, and the sickness ensued. Had I been able to read the future and learn about your Dano mods, I might very well have hung onto them.

15. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

You guys talked me into my first delay. I got the TC Electronics Alter Ego. I'm working through the settings to see how I like it.

16. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol: True!

17. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

dan-o fab echo is usually around $15

18. artdecade

Just want to point out... Danelectro with its various delays is a champion of the slap!

19. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I use an MXR Carbon Copy and am really happy the sound.

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, I doubt the OP is looking for a big, expensive, space-hog. But I recently got a big box DMM (finally trading the last of the unused, stupid pile of pedals, but that's another story). And it does slap (as well as just about everything else) amazingly well. I was skeptical (don't particularly like expensive pedals) going in, but it is so good that I might break my own rule against having 2 power supplies live. At least for me, it lives up to the hype, and then some. Or I may just keep it for home fun/composing and roll with my Ibanez ADL live like I always have.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.