1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Another quit drinking thread...and thanks!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WilburBufferson, Jun 6, 2020.

1. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Well done! I reached 2 years this spring. Much better quality of life and worth it. I get my buzz from exercise and music now. Stay the course.

tubegeek and WilburBufferson like this.
  2. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Congratulations on your decision and success thus far! It's been 4 and half years for me.

I too tried many times before and my longest stretch was 3 months. I finally had to concede that I was not able to make it last on my own and went to AA.

There I found, that drinking was not my problem, it's only a symptom.

I commend anyone who can get and stay sober by any method. But if you find that you cannot, like myself, please just check out a few meetings.

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Whatever you do, don't be afraid to seek professional help.
    Many times, just a couple of sessions is all it takes to to get you back in the path you want to be on.

Don't be afraid to seek other perspectives.
    Consider this: Sombody was a total Alcoholic, living on the streets.
    Somebody has never had a drink in their Life.
    Somebody drinks once in a while but, has never had a problem.

Three different perspectives, three different points of view.
    Dig deep enough and you will find wisdom from all three that can help you.

The total Alcoholic recovered. Now what?
    The guy that never drank, knows how to keep his/her mind from wanting to drink.
    The occasional drinker has tidbits of wisdom as well.

I want you to succeed, I really do.
    So long as you never give up, there will always be people who are willing to Help.

-ST

4. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations to you. We're with you all the way.

WilburBufferson likes this.
  5. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One day at a time.
    Take the time to notice how good you feel.
    Best wishes.

WilburBufferson and JL_LI like this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don’t feel it’s my place to offer advice. I can only offer encouragement and a promise that it is possible to put the chapter in your life when you abused alcohol behind you. If you feel yourself slipping, reach out. There are many here for you. If you slip, pick yourself back up, reach out, and try again. I didn’t make it the first time but I made it.

7. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

I love this thread. I decided to quit on February 28th. Since then, I've had two relapses: one about a month after I quit and one about three weeks ago. For me, it's been a matter of recognizing associations and trying to change habits/patterns. For example, I grill out almost every Saturday, and I had developed a strong association of having a bourbon while sitting on the deck and grilling. Now I fix myself a non-alcoholic, carbonated drink (like ginger beer or seltzer with cranberry juice) when I grill, to help alleviate the cravings.

It's tough, man. Even though it's been three months or so, and any physical dependencies are long gone, there are still days, especially on weekends, that I crave a drink so badly that I have trouble sitting still. So good luck to us both.

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations and keep it up!

It is a better way of living...

(BTW, 7,973 days sober for me)

9. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

I drank enough in high school and college to last me several lifetimes. I'm in my mid-50s now, maybe one drink once every 3-4 months, if that. I'm lucky, the taste of anything with alcohol is a real turnoff for me.
    If you fall off the wagon that's ok as long as you want to keep quitting. You're on your way, congrats!

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Fifty years ago, high school days, I was drinking two cases of beer a week. Didn't think it was a problem, but it was.

Now I might have three or four beers a year.

Don't be afraid to get help if you lose your way on this. There's a lot out there for you and it can make all the difference if you weaken.

11. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Wow, what a response, and predictably warm. Thank you to all. Damn, I'm so glad that I found this place! I hear you: one day at a time, seek perspectives, don't be afraid to ask for help, keep the faith, and other sage advice and encouragement. Alcoholism runs in my family, so I think this path was inevitable for me, at least to some extent. I don't want this to be a "forever" thing, but for the foreseeable future it has to be.

cat dude, kcarlos, tubegeek and 6 others like this.
  12. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

The first 20 years are the hardest. :D

Seriously though, I never wake up in the morning thinking, "May I wish I'd tied one on last night. I hate waking up without a hangover." I haven't had a drink since 1986 and I'm glad every single morning when I wake up.

cat dude, kcarlos, tubegeek and 8 others like this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

You nailed one of the big ones. You really can't keep all the same circle of people around you. You dont .need to run and hide from them but keep a friendly distance

I quit 20 years ago. What worked for me is that I didn't make any big announcements, I just did it. Reason being is that it is a huge step and as you noticed you will have a misstep or two along the way

And that's when they pounce. And they use it against you. Because you're doing something a lot of people would like to do but cant. So they try to bring you back down to them.

And yeah some stuff feels funny at first. For me it was stuff like NASCAR races, Super Bowl, stuff like tha . But once you get over the hump you'll be glad you did

cat dude, tubegeek, drlucky and 7 others like this.
  14. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

If you need support and don't like AA you can try Intensive Outpatient Therapy (IOP) and your health insurance will often pay for it (cheaper than a liver transplant).

On the subject of AA dont be put off if the first one you try is all fire and brimstone. Most groups have their own "group personality" and you can shop around until you find one that has the degree (and type) of religion (or lack of it) you prefer. Mine regarded GOD as standing for "group of drunks". :)

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey that's great!

I just passed 22 years in May but also saw numerous friends go back to whatever substance they formerly turned to for coping.
    My only suggestion at this point would be to not be surprised or disheartened if you discover a drink in your hand again and wonder how it got there!
    I hope it doesn't happen like that but if it does, you can commit anew and needn't keep drinking.
    It can be hard though, if it seemed like everything was going so well, and picking up is a sort of mystery.
    I've been trying to reach out to a few particular friends who are having a tough time right now, makes me sad but I know they can get back on the wagon when they choose to and take whatever action is needed in their individual case.

I think when I quit for what seemed like the last time, I had maybe a dozen 2-3 week runs before I figured out just how much I needed to change up my life to stay on that new course.
    We all seems to have our own unique needs and responses to solutions.
    Then the rest of the world has their own lists of solutions to toss our way!

Hang in there!

tubegeek, teletail, drlucky and 2 others like this.
  16. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

One thing you are sure to notice if your friends are all fellow barflies is how quickly you loose touch. If they're those sorts of friends you don't need them.

Use AA and other groups and activities to find new ones.

And DO NOT be embarrassed or feel awkward if someone offers you a drink, you say no thanks, and that someone asks you why you don't drink. Either tell them straight up you've got a problem or tell them you're on meds or another little white lie. Most people don't give a monkey's and don't press you further.

One last point.

Going to a function and discovering the fruit punch is laced with Everclear is no a relapse. Going back for a second glass just to be sure, however...

kcarlos, drlucky, Ted Keane and 5 others like this.
  17. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

A strong warning for anyone else who drinks quite a lot and wants to stop:

SEE YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.

Suddenly stopping without librium or valium or something else on prescription can cause delirium tremens and or sudden alcohol withdrawal syndrome. Both can cause seizures and are often fatal.

18. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I use that same thought process in quitting smoking. I smoked over fifty years and the last 15 or so I was a heavy smoker. It’s been over two years since I quit and I still think of it often. When the craving get real bad, I just tell myself,
    “Not today”.
    I only wish I had done it decades earlier.

Good luck on your journey, you can do it! One day at a time.

19. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

Keep it up brother. I am on month 8. After a couple months you will feel very calm and at peace like never before. I never realized how much anxiety and depression drinking gave me. Sobriety is really great. I still get the odd trigger now and then but I care about my health too much. In a way I am lucky because I got alcohol poisoning and still remember it. That is a strong incentive not to drink!

20. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

what is NA?

tubegeek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.