Another post about that Alessandro GA-SC64 and Princeton RI

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I've got the SW 65 Princeton RI that came with the Cannabis Rex 12" speaker.

So, I do like the tone that comes out of that speaker. But I don't love it. It's full and deep and sounds real solid. Jazzy. Yup.

I installed the GA-SC64 speaker tonight and holy smokes things have woken up!

As many have suggested; It's like a blanket being taken off the amp. It sounds great!

I contemplated getting an EQ pedal to remedy the sitch but this is even better.

Somebody posted here: "Get the Alessandro and don't look back". Couldn't have said it any better.

A great speaker for this amp.
I have the same amp and am considering replacing the CR with th GA too. Might be a dumb question but do you have to remove much from the amp to do the switch?

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
I have the same amp and am considering replacing the CR with th GA too. Might be a dumb question but do you have to remove much from the amp to do the switch?
I didn’t think it would require removing the whole chassis, but it did.

So remove both back panels, reverb tank, speaker leads, and chassis. CRex speaker didn’t stick and came out smoothly.

I spent more time thinking about how to do it than actually doing it. 😀

It’s not a big deal to remove the chassis. I laid the amp on its side to do that.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I didn’t think it would require removing the whole chassis, but it did.

So remove both back panels, reverb tank, speaker leads, and chassis. CRex speaker didn’t stick and came out smoothly.

I spent more time thinking about how to do it than actually doing it. 😀

It’s not a big deal to remove the chassis. I laid the amp on its side to do that.
I was wondering if you had to do that. The C Rex has a big magnet. Thanks. I would be the same in spending more time figuring it out too. Lol.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister

So, I do like the tone that comes out of that speaker. But I don't love it. It's full and deep and sounds real solid. Jazzy. Yup.

As many have suggested; It's like a blanket being taken off the amp. It sounds great!

Somebody posted here: "Get the Alessandro and don't look back". Couldn't have said it any better.

I'm getting the GA speaker on Friday.

Ever think of maybe putting the C Rex in a separate 1×12" cab as an option to have on hand? We can't use it with the speaker in the cab at the same time since there the impedance would be 4 ohms which is a no no since the minimum impedance is 8 ohms.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
I'm getting the GA speaker on Friday.

Ever think of maybe putting the C Rex in a separate 1×12" cab as an option to have on hand? We can't use it with the speaker in the cab at the same time since there the impedance would be 4 ohms which is a no no since the minimum impedance is 8 ohms.
I’m thinking of doing exactly that; putting it in an external cab. Not sure exactly. 😀

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
this is all relative

if you have a shrill trebly guitar and amp, cannabis can mellow them

I have the Alessandro in 12" and love it with my stuff

you have these elements, and the trick is just to find the sweet spot with the amazing array of options we have

Last edited:

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
So no regrets on the change? I used my PRRI for jazz which I might miss but I have some solid state amps I can use for jazz I guess...
Zero regrets on the speaker swap. I've tested at low volume, high volume, clean, crunch and lead tones with different guitars.

I can say that the GA speaker is a very good match for the PRRI. Best ever? Dunno.

I'm very satisfied with tone. And it was instantaneous. I liked it from the first listen.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister

I got the 12" GA-S64 today and put it in my PPRI. I was able to do it without removing the chassis; I undid the velcro straps holding the reverb tank in its vinyl covering and just put it the side without taking the cable off the tank (just the RCA plugs in the other side). I really didn't want to take the chassis out.

The speaker does sound good and I'm sure it will even sound better when broken in. I decreased the treble setting that I had for the C Rex. I think the C Rex would sound best in an amp that had a mid pot so that you can take some of the scoop out. The GA is balanced and not as harsh as a Jenson. This speaker still gives it a true blackface tone ala Jenson without the harsh high that the C Rex couldn't do. Not dissing the C Rex. It did sound good for jazz.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
I got the 12" GA-S64 today and put it in my PPRI. I was able to do it without removing the chassis; I undid the velcro straps holding the reverb tank in its vinyl covering and just put it the side without taking the cable off the tank (just the RCA plugs in the other side). I really didn't want to take the chassis out.

The speaker does sound good and I'm sure it will even sound better when broken in. I decreased the treble setting that I had for the C Rex. I think the C Rex would sound best in an amp that had a mid pot so that you can take some of the scoop out. The GA is balanced and not as harsh as a Jenson. This speaker still gives it a true blackface tone ala Jenson without the harsh high that the C Rex couldn't do. Not dissing the C Rex. It did sound good for jazz.
Nice. I was going to try to squeak the speaker out but it seemed pretty tight. Good to know it can be done without removing the chassis.

The GA really does compliment the Princeton. And like you, I did like the C Rex.

Maybe that speaker would work well with a Marshall type amp

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

Just tried four different speakers for my 62 Brown Princeton. The GA10-SC64 won out over a couple of different Weber's and a WGS Veteran 10.

Don’t know about the 10” version, but the GA12 sounds like a great old vintage Jensen - minus the top end sparkle. I’ve got one in my 2x12 5F6A along with an orig 1960 Jensen P12P. So, it’s an easy comparison. Sounds really good with another speaker providing the sparkle, but I haven’t found a use for it solo in any of my 1x12 amps. I’ve heard the GA10 is brighter…
About 3 years a go I bought a Fender '65 PRRi "Vintage Continuation" through Alessandro. They took a brand new 2019 Fender '65 PRRI and replaced the PC board with handwiring and upgraded components and the speaker they used was a 10" GA10-SC64. The amp sounds really good and to my ears the GA10-SC64 is not too bright for a 12 watt Blackface Princeton.

Princeton.jpg

Last edited:

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
I have that same amp, and I don't mind the 12" C Rex in it. I love the amp, but I'd like to try a new speaker in there. Thing is, I can't decide between the GA sc64 or the sc59 (alnico)....
I don't care about the higher price for the alnico speaker

Thoughts?

thebowl

Tele-Meister
I have used the following in my 65 PRRI- stock Jensen, Emi Legend 1058, JBL D110, E110 and the Allesandro. I rotate the Allesandro and the D110. Alnico versus ceramic. There is no wrong choice, IMHO.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
+1, I've got a 12" GA-SC64 in a Champ (AA764) clone in a PR sized cab and am very happy with it. Just gets better and better over playing time.

tho618

Tele-Meister
Don’t know about the 10” version, but the GA12 sounds like a great old vintage Jensen - minus the top end sparkle. I’ve got one in my 2x12 5F6A along with an orig 1960 Jensen P12P. So, it’s an easy comparison. Sounds really good with another speaker providing the sparkle, but I haven’t found a use for it solo in any of my 1x12 amps. I’ve heard the GA10 is brighter…
Agreed. Was missing too much top end sparkle for me as well. I like everything else about it. A Legend 1258 was the winner in my PRRI.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
C Rex isn’t a bad speaker - in the right (really bright) amp, it can be magic. Or combining with a bright speaker can sound great in a 2x12. Tone Tubby’s 40/40 is a brighter hemp option because the cone is made thinner. Lots more mids than the C Rex too. I’ve owned both but ultimately went back to paper cones. Hemp just not my thang.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
So I’ve been using the GA64 speaker for about a month and a half now.

I’m still really liking it for my setup.

It sounds great clean and crunchy. It has a nice 3-D quality to it. Deep and articulate at the same time without sounding scooped.

I agree it doesn’t bring a high end shimmer like a Jensen might. But I’m not necessarily missing that. The GA still has brightness if you want. I don’t turn the treble over 6 usually.

Is it the end all, be all, perfect speaker for a Princeton? I can’t say that.

But I like it a lot in my rig.

And maybe someday I’ll try out a different speaker in the Princeton. Who knows…