Another plagerism lawsuit. The floodgates have been opened

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Aug 9, 2019.

1. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Don't forget Joe Jackson's "Is She Really Going Out with Him vs. Raconteurs' "Steady As She Goes" Joe for the win IMB.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Then what, Dust in the Wind writer goes after both of them?

3. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

To win at trial he's going to have to prove both a substantial similarity and that Lady Gaga had access to his song. The access part matters. That's in part why Robin Thicke lost the Blurred Lines case, he admitted that he knew Marvin Gaye's work very well. This guy has 180,000 views on Youtube for his song which was published on youtube after the "lawsuit threat" his other original songs have a few hundred views at best. So how would Gaga have heard those magical three notes?

But if he does win by some chance for 3 notes stolen, down from Harrison's alleged 8 notes then we should start a plagiarizers version of name that tune, I can steal that song in 2 notes Chad.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    RLee77 likes this.
  4. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

I hope he wins regardless.
    Lady Gaga is filthy rich and pretty lame.

Endless Mike and Kebmel like this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Just reinforced my view that country music is little more than rehashed nursery song tunes.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

This is not exactly Sweet Little Sixteen / Surfin USA territory here...wish it was just a little tiny bit harder to file a lawsuit in this country sometimes.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't wish a frivolous lawsuit on anybody. I'm not a Gaga fan but she's a successful artist, obviously, who has made her own way.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I once heard George Harrison bought the rights to "He's So Fine" ( don''t know for sure) but it's a good idea!;)

9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Idiotic suit.

Reminds of the time that Madonna threw shade at Lady Gaga for ripping off "Express Yourself" which Madonna ripped off from the Staple Singers' "Respect Yourself"

10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

JOB ADVERT

Can some computer spod please contact me about writing an algorithm to put every possible 3 note permutation in a song

I already did AAA and AAB and AAC but I think the rest can be done by a computer in 5 minutes. Only a computer could do the numbercrunching to multiply 7 by itself 3 times. 49 times 7 is probably more than every atom in the visible universe, so only a supercomputer could work it out

STAGE 2: sue the entire music industry for the rest of our lives

STAGE 3: fly round in a solid gold helicopter tipping champagne on everyone's heads

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There's a short part with no singing and distorted chords, sounds a bit like "Sweet Jane" and also a bit like something Tom Petty.

jimbo735 and stinkey like this.
  12. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

I would.

13. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I can see the grammar police rearing it’s ugly head

14. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The beauty of the ignore button

15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

When you get down to it, there are only 13 notes and a finite amount of rhythmic combinations, so there is bound to be similarities and overlap. That being said, songwriters should understand where that ends and stealing another's song begins.

16. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

What's the 13th one ??

Rev Rhythm and kLyon like this.
  17. dptele

dptele TDPRI Member

Nope, lawsuits like this are stupid no matter who is the recipient. Art is derivative and I don't have to want to look over my shoulder every time I want to play something that might sort of sound like something I have heard 50 years ago. As for Gaga, rich yes, Lame? not really. I am not a fan but she actually is an honest to god musician. When I say that I mean a musician is someone who you can hand a microphone and an instrument to at a moments notice and they can actually play using real discernible musical talent. Her ridiculous costumes and stunts aside, she can write music, play piano, and sing beautifully when she wants to.

18. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

The recent suit against Katy Perry which seemed to hinge on a "musicologist" convincing a jury of copyright infringement - the
    beat and counter-melody were the only elements with similarities. The melody of the songs lack any real similarities.(this youtuber noted this case)

With the internet and multiple sources of streaming music it's very difficult for one to claim they had no ability to hear a song (if it was uploaded somewhere before a suit), so more cases (like the one I mentioned) seem to assume it probable someone heard a song in question.

The standards for infringement seem to be quite low, currently. (shrugs)

The musical palette most draw from to formulate melodic hooks in (western) pop rock music is bound to create some similarities in songs. So it is important to have a defined standard of how many identical notes cannot be copied. The Perry case appeared to lack any such standard. This one may as well, we will see.

bricksnbeatles likes this.
  19. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

You cannot copyright a song title or a chord progression. But after that, I don't know how far you can go before crossing the line. Isn't the limit eight measures of a song before you're infringing?

A chap that does our video recording said he cannot put songs we play on YouTube because someone will flag it as theirs and it will get removed. I told him that I wrote and copyrighted the songs. He said it doesn't matter. I almost wish he would post them on YT and someone flags it. I'll be rich!

20. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

#13 is called "the wrong note." :lol:

RLee77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.