1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Another Pickup Thread AV52s & 62 Customs

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Augustin187, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

So I have this lovely 2017 Roasted Ash Tele which has American Vintage 52 pickups.

My friend gave me his 2007 Fender American Vintage 62 Reissue Custom Telecaster - a beautiful green. (he gave it to me cause he owes me a boatload of cash.... so its almost ok)

I strung them with the same strings and wow does the 62 have more clarity and bite and depth. Is this because the pickups are "custom shop" aka WAY BETTER?

is this a characteristic of the 52 vs 62 pickups?

This makes me want to upgrade my 52 pickups to something else. Or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong and there is a benefit / quality I am missing in the 52's and I should like them for what they are?

-----------------

to further confound it I was hoping to have my 52 strung with flat wounds.... I think given they are muddier and less clear pickups than the 62 that would be a disaster.

all thoughts welcome and appreciated!

2. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Pickups are subjective. I have an AV '52 and think they are great and many others here and elsewhere agree that the OVs are good pickups. Subtle differences can be attributed to strings, bridges, saddles, and the like. From you description, you seem to be hearing a difference in the pickups. Have you haven't tried experimenting with pickup height adjustments? You might do that first. If that doesn't work for you could, try swapping them out, but there is no guarantee that you will like the result.

3. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yep, totally subjective and can depend on other factors. Tone is usually the sum of all the parts of the guitar. I had an AV62 pickup in the bridge of a Tele Custom with an ash body and maple fretboard. That was NOT a great pickup in that guitar. It was low output, thin, and bright. I struggled with that pickup a lot and tried all manner of adjustment before finally pulling it.

I've got PV64 pickups in two different Teles and they sound fairly different between the alder body/rw board and the ash body/maple board guitars.

4. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

It would never hurt to try some other vintage sounding pickups. I'd definitely want it to give me a different vibe than the '62.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Swap the pickups from one into the other, and vice versa. Does the tone follow the pickups, or are you hearing the tone of the entire guitar? I'll guess it's the latter.

6. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Very different sounding guitars, but so are the pickups. I have used both (bridge pickups only) and much prefer the 62 custom bridge to the original vintage which i believe is what the 52s are. But my bet is it;s more the guitar than the pickups ur loving. Alder/rosewood vintage style teles are one of the greatest tones of any guitar to my ear at least. 50s style teles are great too but the 60s type just nails pure perfection IMO.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The 62 AVRI is a wonderful sounding and beautiful guitar. I once had a sunburst before I started cleaning house.

8. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot. Very helpful. Yeah it’s silly I guess to think one is better also. I wasn’t missing anything from the 52 until the 62 with the more ‘excited’ sound came around. Having different sounds is something I should consider a good thing of course!

I’m a little worried putting the flats on the 52 then will be too dull.
    So maybe that’s not the plan

I don’t know to wire and swap pickups so better I try a little height adjustment and see how that goes.

noob question

what’s OV and what’s PV mean?

9. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Original Vintage and Pure Vintage.
    They used the name PV for the parts on American Vintage series post-2012, IIRC.
    And last year, I asked this question to Fender CS if both were the same, and they answered "Yes", though I'm not sure if they are also the same as the pups used on pre-2011 American Vintage '52 Tele.

BTW, I don't think the 62' Tele Custom pups are Custom Shop made.

10. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

I’m definitely comparing the guitars and therefor pickups to eachother and not against the backdrop of a lot of experience. Which is great to read your comments and get a perspective.

I looked into pickup heights and then checked the guitars the 62 only has about 1 mm from the string when the last fret is pushed down and on fenders site it says 2.4 is the ticket. That’s a big difference. Maybe the wow factor for me was the more lively and excited pickups cause of the string distance. And getting them to where they should be will help me learn the more natural and desired starting point of these instruments.

11. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

Could you describe the difference in the pickups?

12. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

sorry I can’t seem to get it to link to your comment. This is for fender4life

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Don't worry. It's just strings. Put the flatwounds on and play.

If it doesn't sound the way you want, they put a tone control on the guitar and a treble control on the amp to deal with that.

14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Ok - steel saddles on 62, brass on 52. Plus the earlier 52/62 alnico 5 pickups were supposedly identical wind and magnet spec except the 62 bridge has staggered poles and the 52 are flat pole.

The later 52 pickups used alnico 3 magnets which sound somewhat smokier/earthier.

To some degree the thicker one piece 52 maple neck vs shallower 62 rosewood capped neck may be having an impact plus possibly the differing body wood. 62 - alder vs 52 - ash.

15. Augustin187

Augustin187 TDPRI Member

Smokier earthier is a really good descriptor I hear that. Finding the right amp settings for each guitar also makes a big difference. I was shy to crank the eq one way or another on the Princeton. Why not!

I’m also not exactly worried about this stuff. But I’m a sound engineer for a living and this stuff just really interests me. I’m just late to the guitar world.

I look forward to seeing how the 62 sounds after a setup. I think it’s gone ten years.

16. jdgladw

jdgladw Tele-Meister

Was there a pickup change sometime during the 62 avri run? I thought that they always came with the alnico II pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.