Another pickguard color thread - Sonic Blue Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SixStringSlinger, Apr 11, 2019.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just got a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. I want to get her strung and set up before posting pics, but I need help figuring out a new pickguard color, since I'm not crazy about the plain, stark white it came with.

It's hard to find a pic that matches what I see in person, and obviously monitors will vary as well, but this is pretty close:

[​IMG]

It's a little washed-out looking (which I wanted), not very blue and with a touch of seasick green. I like it, but it's not quite what I expected.

I was hoping to put a mint green 'guard on it with aged white knobs and pickup covers. I'm going for this effect:

[​IMG]

(mostly the color difference between the pickguard and pickup covers above)

But I'm concerned now that the mint green won't look good with my guitar's greenish tinge. Anybody have pics of a sonic blue Squier JM with a mint 'guard? Or suggestions for another color combo. I'm thinking maybe parchment for the pickguard if mint green doesn't work out, but I'm not sure how that'll work with the aged white parts.

t guitar floyd and Matthias like this.
  2. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

I’d go black. I love the contrast against Sonic Blue.

dezb1, Lake Placid Blue and Zepfan like this.
  3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Cream of sorts is gets my vote

4. SixStringSlinger

I can see how that would look cool, but I'm keeping this pickguard some kind of white, or white-adjacent.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Creamy Parchment or real turtle/tortoise shell, whatever you can catch first.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Aged white is too dark IMHO, too brown/yellow. I think a grey-green Fender mint would be nice, and I prefer that when I had a 60s lacquer JM. Also, I like the color on the pickup up covers, whatever it is isn't aged white, mint, or parchment. Somewhere between parchment and cream. I buffed off the DD logo, then polished them back up.

Just avoid the neon mint green stuff that's out there. Apart from that, I'd get some swirly burgundy Spitfire tort, but that's expensive stuff...

8. SixStringSlinger

Are you talking about the pickguard? Because I want aged white for the pickups and knobs. That's what I have on my Strat and it doesn't look very brown/yellow. Next to white it looks cream-y and on my gold pickguard it almost looks like a mellow white. I don't have the JM parts yet but I assume aged white is all the same across current Fender products.

I got the guitar used and the pickup screws were way too tight and a little strip, so I damaged the pickup covers getting them out. They looked too bright for me, anyway.

And yeah, any mint green I get is coming from Fender. Everyone else's looks too green to me. But I put my Strat's old mint green pickguard on top of the JM for an idea, and I wasn't too sure about it. Then again, it's a 15-year-old 'guard, so maybe it's gotten darker over time.

9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm talking about pickguards and plastics, since both will affect the sonic blue color on the VMs. Yeah, Fender stuff is pretty consistent. I like the mint on most colors, and I think the aged white just doesn't look good but that's just me.

-Fender mint on bright VM Oly White—the knobs are mint, covers are parchment, trem and switch time aged white
    -Fender mint, all around on AV TS, Ocean Turquoise Metallic-
    -Fender mint, I think thats parchment on the covers, seafoam green pearl-

All I can say is anything other than bright clean white will look better, IMHO.

5197754E-7A5B-4AA4-9E5B-CBA49E1520A8.jpeg 4925CD33-19E6-4179-969E-E5B2CE97A49E.jpeg DFDF0C76-227C-472E-AD79-29018F4D912C.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    SixStringSlinger likes this.
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I took the mint green off my "Faded Sonic Blue" Baja because the two colors in my case were really far too close to each other. From any more than about 10 steps away it they visually blended and it looked like the guitar was all one color. I wanted some contrast, so put a white one on.

Whatever you choose, I would also definitely put on some actual JM knobs. It is a subtle effect, but I think it is a key part of that model's look. Strat knobs don't look right on it to me.

W.L.Weller and SixStringSlinger like this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

Already on the way ;)

JL_LI and E5RSY like this.
  12. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

Tortoise usually looks good on just about anything.

V1850373-body-xlarge.jpg

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Of course, there are always these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and BorderRadio like this.
  14. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Oddily for me, I like tort.

15. SixStringSlinger

I love the white JM.

The third pic isn't too far off from the color on my JM. Good to know that looks decent.

BorderRadio likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I know you're thinking about white, and I'm wasting your time with this, but tortoise looked good to me on my Sonic Blue Strat. From your pics it looks like yours is a faded Sonic Blue, so that's kind of a different background color. This is a Fender OEM tort guard in slightly reddish brown.

Lake Placid Blue and Zepfan like this.
  17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Mint green is great in theory, but nobody makes a good/authentic looking one, so I avoid it. Being an owner of a real green guard Strat from 1959, I can tell you that the "green" name is overblown. It's more yellow than green. No replica looks even slightly like it. Not even close.

A simple, naturally yellowed white guard looks closer to the real deal than any of the kind that actually use GREEN plastic to simulate it. I think it looks great as is (and I love those guitars, BTW). Just leave the guitar on a stand, instead of casing it all the time, and that guard will soften over time and look good.

What will improve the look of the guard is giving it the 30 degree bevel, as opposed to the stock 45 degree.

If you are going to change to anything, go parchment or aged white instead of "green." It will actually look closer to a real nitro guard than the green ones do.

One trick to help give you a green guard look and feel is to take a white or parchment guard, and just lacquer over it with clear lacquer. It somewhat replicates the texture and softness of the original green guards, and it will yellow in time.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  18. Brucesu

Brucesu Tele-Meister

Looks good the way it is :eek: maybe put a decal on it or something?

19. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I would be looking at red tort or parchment.

20. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Tortoiseshell. Tort is always the answer, especially for Jazzmasters.

Enjoy it btw, they are good fun guitars to play.

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.