Another Parts-On-Hand build... 6V6 Spitfire Reverb

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Aug 3, 2019.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

Since I’m trying to do a parts-on-hand build, I’m using a rotary switch I pulled out of something. It’s a 4 position switch that I will be using for the speaker impedance selector.
    2E1A3E52-EC63-4C81-B690-678A41D46FC6.jpeg

My OT has 3 taps, the switch has 4 positions. Not a good idea to flip it to #4 and have nothing connected there. What could I hook up to that 4th connection to keep the OT safe should someone flip it to that position?

2. FRANKENJAG

FRANKENJAG TDPRI Member

Dummy load?

3. RollingBender

That’s what I was thinking. It would be great if it did something cool but a dummy load would serve a purpose.

Got the turrets installed and most of the parts loaded and soldered. Missing two 22uf caps that I don’t have. How close is close enough? I have some “nearby” values.
    B9F8B9DA-DA3A-428D-9A7D-0F8D732DD9BA.jpeg

Start putting on the jumper leads next.

4. RollingBender

Got the jumpers soldered to the board, heaters and power section wired, board installed and have begun work on connecting the jumpers.

C4C4A0DE-72FA-497A-A5C7-9199E41D186B.jpeg

5. RollingBender

Most of the wiring done but still waiting for those 2 missing caps.

I’ll be tracing the schematic against what I have done a couple more times to make sure I have it all wired correctly and then I will start going through the startup procedure.
    FB3254AD-2B79-4132-9859-90D811B8B82F.jpeg

6. RollingBender

It’s alive!!!

After some confusion of pins on the power tubes (converting an EL84 design to 6V6), I got it sorted out and fired up and most everything works. The volume control (Master) is acting a bit wonky but I think I can figure it out.

I played it for about an hour tonight at pretty good volume. It’s definitely not the same amp as the Spitfire clone I built earlier even though the circuit is almost identical. This one is way more dirty yet it stays pretty tight. As I overdrive it towards max, it starts getting a little boomy but it doesn’t fart out. The reverb is a pretty weak but I want to do a thorough test of voltages before I start tearing into that. I need to run a bias check next.

7. RollingBender

As first assembled, the bias was running WAY hot. I changed to a higher value cathode resistor and got that under control. Doing that also helped the reverb a bit.

The main issue with the volume (post PI Master) was the pot wired wrong...I have the pots in a different order than my Spitfire clone and was looking at the wrong pot on my layout diagram.

Since this is a cathode biased 6V6 push/pull, I went looking at RobRob’s 5E3 mid page and clipped in a negative feedback resistor. That helped tremendously with clean headroom and also helped with the reverb.

A/B comparison with my Spitfire clone reveals very similar tones though the 6V6 version is a bit brighter and has smoother breakup. Gain cranked and master set to desired volume produces a tone reminiscent of a JTM45!

Cabinet build has begun...

BigDaddy23 likes this.
  8. RollingBender

I guess the theme of this build has become doing everything twice. What I thought was going to be a perfectly dimensioned cabinet is not meant to be so. The speaker interferes with the OT.
    436424AD-D76D-4761-9639-511F77F468FB.jpeg

I’ll be building a new box 1-1/4” taller and maybe just a bit wider too so I can maintain some proportion like what I already have.

All is not in vain, however. This box is the same width and depth as a 5E3 cabinet and only 3/8” taller. I need to make another Deluxe cab anyway so I’m already part way there.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  9. RollingBender

Been putting in a fair amount of time shaking this thing down and doing a few tweaks to get things working at optimal level.

I have a bit of hum in the reverb that is completely reverb level dependent (zero at zero, worst at 100%). The ground for the reverb circuit runs to the power section ground and the pre-amp ground is separate. Suppose splitting the reverb ground off the power ground and tying it directly to the star ground would help this?

10. RollingBender

I found a way to salvage the cabinet. A few more tweaks to the box design and then I can glue it together and finish it somehow.

Here’s a cellphone video of what it sounds like so far...

11. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Connect pin 3 and pin 4 so both will reflect the 16 ohm tap.

12. dunner84

dunner84 Tele-Meister

I'm curious if you modified the PI to be more 6V6 friendly, or did you keep it stock?

I recently built a spitfire/lightning, and I will be converting it to 6v6 with switchable cathode/fixed bias, so I'm curious what you did there.

13. RollingBender

I left the architecture from the original Spitfire schematic as it was but changed some values of components.

Here's what I have right now as-built...

6V6 Spitfire Reverb.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.