Another paisley build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Jun 17, 2011.

1. vlada

vlada Tele-Holic

nicely done herb. just one question, is it possible to use see through paper and print the pattern on it? it seems a lot easier then using cloth.
    keep it up.

2. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Hi Mark , That's one of my favorite bands .

Woe ! Thanks , man !

Here come the judge!

Thanks !

Thanks vlada , I have seen a few paisley builds here that I believe were done with water slide decal paper with the pattern printed on the paper , also saw some done with wall paper . I know it can be done , IMO certain patterns would be easier with paper (water slide or wall paper ) but some cloth patterns I don't know if they could be duplicated as sharply or vibrantly on paper , I think the answer is maybe , depends on the pattern .

3. LightninMike

LightninMike Tele-Holic

4. adirondak5

Looking at some of those clips on youtube looks like that was taped 100 years ago , but I remember it like it was yesterday , that was a great show.

5. adirondak5

Got two coats of polycrylic brushed on , I'll let that set up good and then trim out the cavities and trim the sides again , then it'll be on to Deft sand and seal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

LOL.. Order in the courtroom, Here come the judge!

Cloth here: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/270596-paisley-cloth-glue-edge-filler-advice.html

[​IMG]

7. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Another refin method I am "pioneering" right now is using plain old gift wrap, in this thread over here...
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/273255-refin-suggestions-ideas-plz.html

At this point I have not updated much for pics on the thread, but I put down mist coats on the neck and body yesterday. Headstock rebrand will go on tonight, I hope. I kind of got distracted after commandeering my wifes beater sewing machine, and am working on building my own custom straps over here...http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthread.php?tid=255 - there's more progress of the glaminator over there too.

At this point I would say the gift wrap is workable, but awkward. the advantage is it is very thin, which is also a disadvantage as well. Here's an example of many gift wraps out there, or you could have your own paisly printed at your local printshop.

http://www.papyrusonline.com/gift-wrap/paisley-wrapping-paper.html

That one is very cool, it has metallics built in, like my wedding wrap does.

Also, sincerely not trying to derail this awesome thread, I was thinking out loud this morning. Originally I bought an Austin DC to make myself a light relic replica of this '59 dc special, but with a wrap. She's a beauty, ain't she?

[​IMG]

Man everytime I see that one, the gas fumes overwhelm me! However... I wonder if I really need a replica... I'm more into guitars that nobody else has, or will ever have. Without searching, a paisley DC might just be one of those.

A couple of weeks ago, I found myself at my fave thrift shop, once again, skulking around the ladies' clothing section. They are beginning to look at me kind of wierd over there! Anyway, I snatched up a pretty blouse, (without even trying it on) for a dollar, stuck it under my trenchcoat, and immediately took it home, drew the curtains, and tried it on... my Austin, of course...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kind of serendipitous on the similarities on the three above photos, it's like the big guy is trying to tell me something here

I had the can of krylon, and the wrap bridge left over from stuff I bought for the glaminator but didn't use.
    I'm thinking I would still do a light relic on the DC, but this fabric is extremely mega-cool. It's got some metallics to it as well, might not show up so good in the photo... That with a metallic burst, paisley headstock and bursted paisley neck, I don't know - I'm still undecided, I also have a tobacco strat that would take this fabric nicely too.

So many ideas. So little time. So goes a modders' life. And now, back to our regularly-scheduled funky paisley grooviness. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  8. robt57

How about some edge shots of your glue-down before you start filling...

9. adirondak5

How is that paisley you've been working on robt57? Still in storage ?

A paisley DC would be super cool ! So many ideas. So little time . That should be my middle name.:lol:

Will do , robt57 , I'll get some up before I start filling .

10. robt57

Yep, still in storage on my DIY Paisley... These threads are killing me...
    [no room in rental for such work, shopping for houses]

tvVoodo, That white paisley cloth for the LPDC is jazzin me!! Nice...

Did you start your own thread on that project? Link if yes, I will subscribe.

Are yo going to change your user name to PaisVooDoo after it is done? ;)

11. adirondak5

Here's a shot of the edge , I only glued down , or tried to only glue down to the edge of the 3/16 round over , so after I brushed on a few coats of the polycrylic , I trimmed with a straight razor and then used a card scraper and straight razor as a scraper on the side , its going to take a bit of time doing it this way but after getting the sides level with the card scraper there will be very little filling needed to get a seamless finish .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also trimmed out the cavities , once the polycrylic dried trimming with a hobby knife was easy.

[​IMG]

12. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

A great thread is getting better with every post! Cheering you on from the sidelines, man.

13. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Sweet looking build. I'm a sucker for paisley. It screams surf to me more than Timothy Leary.

I like how the polycrylic turned out. Those edges look really nice.

Cheers

Murray

14. adirondak5

Thanks very much tvvoodoo , glad you like and appreciate the cheering !

Thanks Murray , Here's a pic of my Surf twins I built a while back

[​IMG]

This paisley here , I don't know what it reminds me of , Laugh In , Carlin , Zappa , a lot of things I guess .

I was not real happy with the edges after working on it a bit more this morning , so I got out my trim router and put the 3/16" round over bit in it and went over the edges again just a touch deeper than the first time , I know it was a risk but I was not 100% happy with it so ,,, it worked good , got the edges cleaned up good , no major frays , since it's getting a burst it should work out good , lightly sanded the sides again with 320 , gonna do one more coat of polycrylic before I start with lacquer sand and sealer . The edges of the fabric are pretty much level with the alder so it should finish pretty smooth , fingers crossed .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Good thinking there, I've never heard of anyone taking a router to the round over before, but it looks like that is the way to do it - you gotta be sure your fabric is down pretty good before going that direction - so it's a credit to the titebond method.

16. adirondak5

Routing the round over after the fabric was down was my original plan , but I thought I was playing it safe , sometimes first idea is best idea .
    I am very pleased with the Titebond , and the polycrylic also, where I did get some titebond and fabric on the sides was a PIA to scrape off , the titebond holds extremely well , and it is kinda nice to be able to get the polycrylic on it for some protection , especially with the humidity down here , lacquer is not an option until the humidity goes down.

17. robt57

Did you see how I did the cloth glue on the paisley in my thread. Not sure it was worth the extra work, or if it was really necessary, but happy with the result.

18. studysession

studysession Tele-Meister

AWESOME build!!!!

19. cmatthes

cmatthes Tele-Meister

This thread = INCREDIBLY COOL

Love this one...nice work!

20. adirondak5

Yes , I did see your paisley thread robt57 , your solution to the round over looks like a good one , I was pondering that as I was planning this one , my original plan was to route the round over after the fabric was glued on and had a few coats of polycrylic , I guess I should have stuck with that , it worked better than my second guess told me it would.But no harm done , back on track.

Thanks very much studysession.

Thank you cmatthes .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.