Another Outboard Reverb Tank Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by voodooblues, Sep 14, 2017.

1. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Where does the "drip" come from? I've played tanks with more drip and tanks with less. Is that a tube thing or the type of reverb unit in the tank?

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What I call 'drip' comes from the gain, aka Dwell. Adjustable dwell is the main difference between a 6G15 and a combo circuit.

3. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My silverface 70's unit has the TMD controls and it doesn't drip.
    Great 'verb, but the surf guys don't dig 'em.

bparnell57 likes this.
  4. voodooblues

So is that a pot then? If I wanted more drip would the dwell dial need to be changed? Also, did anyone ever put dwell on an amp?

5. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Changed from what? What are you starting with?

6. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

When you read the reverb tank (like from Accutronics) documentation, it recommends running the tank full on (to saturation) all the time, and then adjusting your amount of reverb (wet/dry mix) at the reverb recovery stage. Most combos go this route. You could think of the Dwell as being at 10 all the time. A few builders have put a Dwell, Mix, Tone into their combos. But if their reverb driver is a Fender/traditional parallel 12AT7, it's already being run 100% into the tank in an amp like a Princeton Reverb. Adding Dwell would only let you turn it down.

If you have a 6G15, a Vibro-King, or similar, with a 6K6, 6V6, or EL84 driving the tank, that can dump 3+W into it (where only like 1W is necessary), then maybe the Dwell control makes more sense, offers more tone shaping. Can't speak to exactly what contributes to drip sound.

Good reading:
    https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-corner/spring-reverb-tanks-explained-and-compared

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/reverbdriver.html

aerhed likes this.
  7. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

Several things. I'm still trying to get my reverb drippier. My unit uses a 6K6 like the '63 and has a vintage Gibbs long 2 spring reverb pan.
    Pick aggressively to hit the springs harder. Palm muting and picking way back by the bridge will get you closer as well. Bright tone works best.
    For anyone considering a reverb unit I'd suggest a SurfyBear. Here's a link to a video from the creator of it. It's basically a '63 circuit with FETS replacing the tubes. For the DIY folk, they offer a kit that a lot of people house in tool boxes. Check surfguitar101 and you'll find it's a very popular alternative to a tube unit. Demo starts at abut 2:00.

8. voodooblues

Not sure what I'm starting with. If I wanted to get more drip what would need to be changed on the reverb tank?

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

What amp? Unless I missed it, you haven't given any details about the gear you're using.

10. voodooblues

Outboard reverb tank, separate from the amp.

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

I'm trying to be helpful, but why can't you say what kind of amp, what kind of tank?

You've given no info whatsoever about your setup!

Good luck, I'm out

12. voodooblues

Do you know what this picture is of? It's not an amp! This question has nothing to do with amps! What does my "setup" have to do with anything? Maybe I'm not wording this question the best way? Am I in the wrong forum? Thanks for trying though. 1505426971825.jpg

13. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

I can think of at least 8 different standalone external reverb tanks besides Fender...

I was trying to find out if you were asking about a specific piece of hardware, and potential mods/problems...

And yeah, I own one of those "things"... So I'm just a bit familiar with them...

[​IMG]

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

That's not a tank. It's a Fender reverb RI. The tank is inside.

15. voodooblues

Ok, my apologies if I was unclear although if you do a Google search for "outboard reverb tank" you get the exact picture (among others) that I posted. So, in regards to the thing in the picture I posted, what causes the "drip"? If I were to want more drip what would have to be altered? Is it the internal tank itself, or the pot on the "dwell" dial? Something else?

16. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

For starters, have you seen this? Pretty good "Reverb Tank 101"

https://www.tubesandmore.com/tech-corner/spring-reverb-tanks-explained-and-compared

voodooblues likes this.
  17. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

In a totally unscientific 5 minute trial playing my 6K6-driven reverb combo amp (Dwell-Mixer-Tone), setting controls at 10-5-5, 5-10-5, 5-5-10, etc, I found that contributing to the drip sound most was first
    Mixer (at high settings), followed by
    Tone (at high settings), followed by
    Dwell (at high settings).

I'm not an amp designer and I haven't used an oscilloscope in years, but the 'drip' noise to me sounds like really high frequencies -- a little like finger noise or when you play a harmonic -- so I'd guess that on some reverbs the high cut filter is removing some of those sounds. All reverbs (whether they have a user Tone control or not) cut both bass (mud) and treble (tinniness) at points in the circuit. I think you might ideally want a spectrograph or something to really see where the drippiness differences come from. Then tweak your filters to preserve those frequencies that contribute most to the sound you like.

voodooblues likes this.
  18. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

voodooblues likes this.
  19. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

voodooblues likes this.
  20. voodooblues

Now we're talking! I'll check those out, thanks for sharing. That's interesting about the 2 vs 3 spring pan, it would be cool to do a side by side challenge and hear the difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.