1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Another one.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Zepfan, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I was on FB last night killing some time and saw it on marketplace. Too good a deal to pass up.
    Epiphone SG Special II in Cherry transparent Red for 100 bucks.

Picked it up today. 17 year old was selling it to buy a computer for school. Doesn't look like it's been played in months, dusty and strings look like they have a little rust on them. No dents or scratches on it anywhere. That's how I know this thing hasn't been played in some time. I asked him how old it was and he just said a couple years without giving me a specific year, Kids:rolleyes:.

I see these go for around $175 new and this looks like it could be close to new, so I'm happy. The body is solid wood with a probable Mahogany veneer. I plugged it in and kicked the tires. It works, switch still has that new feel and the pickups aren't bad, but may be a little too hot overwound. The control cavity showed that the 1 volume pot wasn't a mini pot which surprised me, but the real surprise was that the tone pot is a dual gang stacked pot. I tried to pull up on the knob, but it wouldn't come up. It sits a bit high off the body so I tried to push in and it goes in a bit and springs back up into position without clicking. so I don't know what it's supposed to do. Is it a Coil Tap, Coil Split or a mute/kill? I find out tomorrow I guess. 20201127_134351.jpg 20201127_134359.jpg It's a dark Cherry Red or maybe a Wine. IDK, but I like it.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I have one of these. The dual ganged tone pot is a kill switch. The electronics on mine are surprisingly good considering the low price. The pickups are wound very high. On mine, the bridge pickup read 16.1k and the neck 11.8k. I've replaced them a few times but ended up settling on a pair of Alnico II Vintage PAF style from Guitar Madness. Tuners are the cheap covered gear trapezoid tuners, not that good. I may replace mine sometime but they work good enough for now. The nut on mine was very poorly cut and I ended up replacing it with a brass one from AxeMasters.

20190520_204755.jpg

3. Zepfan

Yeah these tuners aren't great, I'll probably change them with some sealed units, definitely going to get a new nut. Dog Ear P90's may cover the pickup cavities or some P Rails could work out. I've thought about a P90 bridge and Firebird neck too. May have to make some cavity covers to pull off that last option.

The neck feels good and no fret sprout or sharp edges to worry about.

crazydave911 and Chicago Matt like this.
  4. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Oooooooo !!!!!
    Nice Score !!!!
    People are hurtin' for money.
    Buyers Market for sure....Set Neck?
    FG

crazydave911, SRHmusic and Zepfan like this.
  5. FenderGyrl

I have 2 of the Bolt Ons...
    Nice Guitars...
    A Firebird Neck???

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Zepfan

This on is a bolt on. I might use a P90 pickup in the Bridge and on of my coverted Firebird pickups in the neck is what I was talking about in that other post, A Gibby version of a popular Tele setup.:D

A reverse Firebird neck on a SG body might not look bad either, BG has a V neck on his SG.:lol:

crazydave911 and FenderGyrl like this.
  7. deus56

deus56 Tele-Meister

What a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congrats.

Zepfan likes this.
  8. Zepfan

Had a nerve block this morning and I'm confined to inside with lite duties.
    After pulling bridge post on my LP Jr for upcoming body work, I set my attention to this.
    First I decided that I was going to put PRail pickups in it because the P90/Firebird pickups would leave some gaps between the pickups and the cavity wall. Besides, I have 2 sets of these pickups and the Triple Shot rings to go with them.
    Then I started thinking about the pots and cavity for the electronics. 20201208_125958.jpg I do have room for 4 pots, switch and jack like I'd rather have, but the layout would be weird. Then I considered concentric pots and I may do that.

Why does anybody put a kill switch on a guitar with master volume? I mean, most people these days dime the volume anyway so turning it all the way off and all the way back on when you want sound isn't that big of a deal is it?:rolleyes::lol:

9. Zepfan

In my young days I loved Black Speed knobs or those Top Hat type Speed Knobs Gibson had back in the 70's-80's, now I don't care that much for them.
    I do like some of the ones that have been popping up on Amazon lately with combo colors and I bought some Black and Red ones for that Lyon guitar I was working on and went with those on this SG.
    20201208_145345.jpg 20201208_145332.jpg

crazydave911, FenderGyrl and zippofan like this.
  10. Zepfan

I'll probably start the PRails and rings tomorrow.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Nice score! Congratulations.

crazydave911 and Zepfan like this.
  12. Zepfan

I removed the old strings and put the new tuners on. Then I removed the pickups(13k neck and 17k bridge). Going to remove the pots and put in some CTS pots with 50's wiring scheme.
    Getting the P Rails and Triple Shots ready. upload_2020-12-15_18-14-27.jpeg Didn't want to cut those pickup leads so short, but I got no choice.

13. Zepfan

I have no choice but to go back with the original control layout, but I'm replacing the pots with CTS B500k's for volume and tone. All the solder joints were barely hanging on, I could pull the solder blobs off their intended points. Don't know how this thing even worked.
    Added an aluminum strip across the inside of the control cavity to give the thin wood top in that area some support. It was a brace from an old wrist brace I repurposed for this use. 20201220_174335.jpg Well next it's time to install the pickups and wire it all together.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Tom Morello, that's why. Younguns want to get that stutter effect.

I haven't replaced the electronics in mine, sticking with the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I don't use the kill switch though. I may eventually replace the pots with my preferred CTS volume and no-load tone.

15. Zepfan

Like using the switch back n forth on the pickups?

16. Zepfan

Installing the pickups and Triple Shot Rings I ran into a snag.

1. The neck pickup cavity needs to be routed 3/16" deeper. Not a problem.

2. The rings aren't the same as the originals, they're about 5/32" off length wise and that puts both sets of mounting holes off. If I center the pickup under the strings, the screw holes are off on both sides. If I try to drill and screw in new holes they will break through to the existing holes because they are too close meaning the original holes would need to be filled in with tooth picks first. Another option is to slot the screw holes in the rings with a small round file and use the existing holes in the body.

3.Other issue is the Triple Shot Rings are only 1/8" tall which is fine for the neck, but the bridge position may need to make a spacer.

I think the slide switches are a great idea, but the switch slider pegs are very small and I wonder if they will break easily from use or someone hitting them constantly with pick or fingers while playing. I also don't think that they are worth 35 bucks per ring.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. Zepfan

I decided to slot the screw holes on the rings so I could use the existing mounting holes and it worked great.
    I raised the neck pickup 1/8" in the ring and it mounted to the body without having to route so I'm going to try setting up the pickup heights before deciding to do any routing if needed.
    I also added a rollor bridge and Duesenberg Les Trem II. Still waiting on USPS to deliver the Tusq nut. 20201223_222345.jpg

18. Zepfan

Nut arrived and installed. Stringing it up tonight, checking everything, making adjustments and setup.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. Zepfan

I got it strung up and the Intonation was good on 4 of the strings and just a bit off on the 2 highest strings, but the string height on the last fret was 1/4" at the 22nd fret. Trussrod was good, the rollor bridge I installed is the same height as the other and I noticed it was a bit high when I got it. The neck pocket does have a degree cut, but they missed it I guess and I'll have to cut a couple degree whole pocket shims. Jamming something in there is a bit of a pet peeve with me, I got to do it right. Dang perfectionist.:lol:

Took the pickups for a test drive and was pleased with all the choices. This body is very resonant and all the choices were great, even the rail coil by itself was good contrary to what others have said about these pickups. I even tried the 2 rails together and rail-P90/P90-rail combos were great. Humbucker in series was spot on vintage humbucker tone and the parallel choice was very #2-#4 Strat tone.

Not quite sold on these rings yet. I have to use awhile to get a better view of them.

Loving the neck and frets on this SG, finger slides are effortless.

The Duesenberg is great as always, after playing last night and using the tremolo, I picked it up awhile ago and it's still in tune.:)

20. FenderGyrl

Love It...Nice Work.
    Really digging the Duesenberg.
    FG

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.