Another one of “those” threads (my first)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by newyork, Jan 24, 2020.

1. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

I was thinking I’d get the jhs morning glory for OD and see if delay was needed later. My style/songs are kind of pop meets r&b with a few jazz chords here and there. Occasionally I do a touch of country and light rock.

2. rgbedard

rgbedard TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

There was a new one on Reverb a couple days ago for $800 ... thought I was going to set you up, but it appears to have sold. Sorry ...

newyork likes this.
  3. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

So if I had the Strymon I just plug it into an interface (Protools) for recording? Or into the board at a gig? If I wanted to practice at home I’d need a cab I’d assume or does it take headphones too?

still like the traditional amp idea as a novice.

4. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

You run to a board for live play, to interface. I THINK it has a headphone jack, but not positive. I dont have one. Our church does and it gets killer tones, especially the Fender and Vox tones. I've never really checked though for outputs. I just plug and play, since it has amp sims and cab IRs built in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

newyork likes this.
  5. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

But I can say it takes pedals well. I use a verb, a delay, and 2 diff ODs with it (Tumnus and Dude or Euphoria).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

newyork likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Venue sound really is the future, for shows.

The question is, what do you do when you are trying to identify and capture "your sound" and I think, songs may not be enough, in 2020. And when it comes to sound, the Individual comes first, a variety of combo amps you can just fool around with anywhere comes second, and the guitar is actually the "commodity" of the three categories of things. I've got scores of Teles but truly I only need one. Teles are cool because (for me at least) they don't break or need adjustment (etc.).

So, I would dodge your question and say, you need more different amps even if you end up going direct to PA.

newyork likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The electric guitar has two parts and IMO you don’t buy more guitars until you have a good amp.
    I also consider the amp of equal quality generally costs almost twice a solid body guitar price.
    IOW a $1000 Tele is near as good as it gets but a $1000 PRRI is just an average price point consumer product.
    The used MIM Tele is comparable to a PRRI, and both are perfectly good tools.

But spending more on one or the other, generally a better amp is more likely to make better sound than is a better guitar.

Amp in a box is sensible but a specialty tool and one might want to find out how much they like a good amp before deciding they don’t need a good amp to play electric guitar music.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    NateD81, Dan German and newyork like this.
  8. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

Well said.

9. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Yes why bother with an amp though? Get something like this:

https://milkmansound.com/collections/amplifiers/products/the-amp

It's 50 watts, has a tube preamp, does not need a cab, but works with a cab if you like, or into a PA, or with headphones, and you don't have to schlep an amp. It has reverb and trem, like a princeton, but much more clean headroom. You can use is to record either with a cab, or direct

newyork likes this.
  10. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

I haven’t played electric at a venue in so long I can’t even remember when it was. I wasn’t as serious back then about my sound as I should have been too.

Not a lot of places where I am using a board I could plug into. Maybe 2. Then again idk if I’ll be playing out enough to do amp in a pedal direct to a board.
    Seems like my answer at this stage is get a good amp and play with it for quite a while to get my sound down. Then move on to additional amps or guitars etc.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Amps are fun: I'm just noticing that your post and your description of your needs doesn't focus on the usual amp related adjectives. The milkman amp is an analog thing: The strymon Iridium would be smaller, cheaper and even more versatile. Of course then you get into a set of debates about authenticity and what sounds better and digital vs analog and etc etc.

Nobody in your audience will care about these things: only nerds on guitar discussion forums

newyork likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

The JHS morning glory is a high priced copy of a widely copied pedal you can buy for $60-$100 in many examples.
    Have you used them and compared them to other low gain OD peals to have concluded you need the most expensive version of a very simple circuit?

newyork likes this.
  13. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

This looks good. Less than an amp, way more than a regular pedal but gives many options.
    Again, if I want to jam with ppl or practice at home not using headphones, I’ll need a cab anyway. Headphones is a big plus on the other hand but...

14. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

Good point. I didn’t know that. I haven’t tried any of these in person no. Thanks for waking me up on that.

15. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

You’re right. No one will care in the audience at all. I was just thinking I’d need a cab for all other circumstances but studio or places that have a board. But 99% of my uses are home and studio so I may be looking for a reason not to look more into those pedals.
    I just want simple and the thing that covers most bases easily and simply since I’m a novice with all this at best.

16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

(bold type)

What you need is a Tech 21 Trademark 30.

It's an all analog amp based on Tech 21's legendary Sansamp. That means it's a very flexible amplifier, live and a very useful "pedal" in the studio.

Use the coins you save to bury a piezo pickup in your Tele. I think Wilkinson builds a bridge with built in pickups. Then you can cop acoustic guitar tones with your Tele.

...or "both" at once.

17. telemnemonics

Chicago StompWorks bluesbreaker clone is $59 and the Moore Blues Crab is variably cheap, then the Analog man Prince of Tone is boutique but cheaper than the JHS.
    I have a hobby built clone and don’t really find it ideal but OD is a pretty personal choice.

newyork likes this.
  18. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

Thank you!!!

19. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

I get that concept. Makes sense. I simply don’t have $2000 for an amp. I don’t really think it’s something I need currently either. Honestly.

also, what led me to the JHS was a recommendation from a guy in a store as well as learning Julian Lage digs it and I love his tone when it starts slightly breaking up. I play nothing like him as I suck but I love that tone. I didn’t realize cheaper was possible.

Having said that, what would you be looking at for $2000? Knowing me I’ll get fixated on it and want to spend $2000 lol

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  20. newyork

newyork Tele-Meister

Is the Supro a good alternative to a DR or PR for my situation?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.