Another no wood build all aluminum anodized archtop

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by mjstamos, Jul 14, 2020.

1. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

These are really great guitars in their own right but really come alive with an aluminum neck! The body is a Normandy Guitars "Archtop" I just replaced the neck with one from Electrical Guitar Company. There is of course no wood and minimal plastic on this build. Clocks in just over 10lbs and is ridiculously fun to play!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's gorgeous ...

But ...
    How much does she weigh???

mjstamos likes this.
  3. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

10lbs 8oz so not too bad at all.

rangercaster likes this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Love it, too bad about the B7 Bigsby though. Should of been a B6...

mjstamos and rangercaster like this.
  5. rangercaster

Being a little picky here ...

Would you care to explain ???

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  6. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

Agreed I want a Chet arm in there as well!

rangercaster and BorderRadio like this.
  7. BorderRadio

Picky? No way, B5 and B7 Bigsbys are abominations!

Just kiddin’. Tension bar Bigsbys increase break angle on plank body or low-, no-angle neck pitched guitars (found on the B5, B7, B12). The bar adds another friction point, lends to a more stiff feel, and robs the sensitive response of the B3/B6 types. On some designs, mainly the ones with archtops, the break angle is so steep, it causes poor tuning stability.

This is a custom build, and there is no practical reason the neck pitch couldn’t have been designed to create a good 5 to 7 degree break angle over the bridge, using a B6. Maybe there is some special reason for the B7 but I doubt it..it could of been done IMHO.

mjstamos and iBloke like this.
  8. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

An abomination is a bit of a stretch and this is a parts caster not custom build so it came with the trem. Since the body is aluminum changing parts is not the same as on a wood guitar as it is drilled for this tail piece. The body is from a Normandy Guitars Archtop and the neck is from Electrical Guitar company.

9. BorderRadio

To be clear I think your guitar is cool as fu...fu-de, cool as fudge. I realize it's not you who built the body, and I'm seeing a lot more partscasters with EG aluminum necks--kinda fueling my GAS. My comment is generally aimed at Normandy. Even that is just expressing my preference for a B6 Bigsby vibrato on archtops. Nothing else like a B6 IMHO. All Normandy has to do is angle the neck pocket an extra degree or. It might even have enough break angle as is.

Seems like swapping parts on a metal guitar isn't much different than a wood version. There are still holes to contend with, but the approach to filling is slightly different. Hiding them on the other hand is almost the same idea. If it were me, I'd shim the neck (if needed), and install a B6. Cover up the two B7 mounting holes with some metal rivet heads. One could also simply run the string over the tension bar and either leave the bar on or remove it altogether. I did the same to check the playability of my Guild Starfire for a similar conversion of B70 to B6.

714BFB15-980F-4ADC-830D-219221E377CA.jpeg 0B9AC35D-0202-46F4-976E-F19079B3D465.jpeg

rangercaster, SuprHtr and mjstamos like this.
  10. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

Agreed I assume Normandy was trying to keep the price down with this Bigsby, though they did use a nice roller bridge and their pick ups are fabulous. I put one of these together before and replaced the arm with the Chet arm and that actually really helped.

The one big difference with these aluminum necks and I have done quite a few is they really have to sit perfect for best results. Matching the bridge radius and shimming the neck if necessary. In this case it fit's perfectly and most of the strings were even tight intonation wise one of the easier ones I have done. Most of the Aluminum necks are 12 inch radius so naturally TOM style bridges are a good pairing. The Normandy needed no shims so metal on metal!!!! The two below both have shims which on a wood body is fine in my view.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. BorderRadio

They did keep the costs down by using a licensed B70 as opposed to a MIA B6, however B60s are also available so that was an intentional design choice. I'm not averse to shims, shouldn't matter if wood, metal, whatever--I mentioned them because using the B6/B60 might require a slightly higher bridge height.

I gotta try one of these necks...I hear they are pretty slim though..

mjstamos likes this.
  12. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Holic

Yeah I have a B5 on another guitar and love it! I always prefer a trem of some sort!

13. rangercaster

Danny Gatton didn't need a whammy/wanker device...

But ...

He could actually play ...

Us mortals aren't as blessed as he was ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.