1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Another NFL Rule I don't agree with

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

This one doesn't happen very often, but in the early game today, there was a penalty called for offensive pass interference. Called a "pick" play. The offensive player obstructs the path of the defender while another player receives the ball. In the case of today's call, the player was literally just standing there, not part of the play and the defender barely touched him. The offensive player did not impeed the defender and the pass was well away from the so-called "pick". When this penalty is usually called, the offensive player is in motion and clearly intends to disrupt the defense. On this play, the offensive player was just literally standing there and the defensive player ran into him.

I know there will be other opinions, but mine is that this is extremely ticky-tack and the referee's need to use judgment when this call is made.

Peace.

PS. I actully think it was in the Chicago/NOLA game, not the early game.....

PPS. Amazing Chicago is keeping this game so close.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i missed that one...they have some terrible rules

top being...spot placement with a DPI

57fenderstrat likes this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Chicago should be up 10-7 at half-time. Wims dropped a perfect pass in the end zone. Went right through his hands. Unbelievable.

Bluesboy3 likes this.
  4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Khalil Mack is getting criticised. Yesterday, Chase Young was singled out, as being ineffectual. Myles Garrett will be similarly denigrated, later on. No -one is calling penalties on offensive linemen- especially when the future HOF QBs are concerned.

The rate of scoring, in the modern game, is ridiculous. I don't play Madden and I don't care about Fantasy Football. I want proper football back.

Tim T, Telecaster88 and djh22 like this.
  5. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Not sure if I agree. I see a lot of offensive holding called when the offensive lineman is blocking legally and the defensive lineman manages to turn his back on the blocker and fall down and makes it look like he was turned by the offensive lineman. Basically anytime the defensive lineman goes down to the ground the offensive lineman is called for holding. There are surely other cases as you speak of that the offensive lineman gets away with holding but there is lots of "flopping" by defensive lineman, IMHO.

6. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

It’s just gotten too complicated for its own good.

The NFL’s contempt for its viewership drove many diehards away, who grew tired of all the flags, breaks, airbags, interruptions, and commercials.

I miss Lyle Alzado, but I’m just a guy that for so many reasons got lured into the hypnotic dance of Olympic curling.

7. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

If it’s the play I’m thinking of, it was absolutely a classic pick penalty. And IF it was the one I’m thinking of, it wasn’t away from the play. Just as a defender can’t hold or block a receiver 5 yards away from the line a scrimmage, a Receiver B can’t throw a block on a defender who’s trying to defender Receiver A just to get Receiver A open. The rules are already steered in favor of offenses, if pick plays were allowed you’d have entire offenses blocking to get one fast Receiver open every play.

8. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

How could you NOT be fascinated?

1955 likes this.
  9. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I am liking the way the Browns are starting out. 14-0 in 5:14.

Cantbreak100guy likes this.
  10. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Not sure if we are talking about the same one, but the offensive guy was literally just standing there. YMMV.

fishermike and electrichead like this.
  11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

It was the Ravens -Titans game.

The officiating expert in the booth said the offending player should have squared up to the QB and extended his hands as though reaching for the ball.

12. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

The one I’m taking about was Titans vs Ravens and it was in or near the endzone. A “pick play” usually occurs when a covered receiver runs a crossing route and another receiver comes from the opposite direction and “inadvertantly” (yeah right) bumps a defender off his coverage, breaking the first receiver open. Sorry, but that’s a penalty as it should be. It’s literally pass interference called by another term

nickmsmith likes this.
  13. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

14. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

I've posted the video. Pretty ticky-tack, but I get it.

electrichead likes this.
  15. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I don’t think it is. I think there are so many plays that heavily favor the offense that it would make O vs D totally lopsided if you allow stuff like this. It’s not like that’s a new penalty, pick plays have been illegal in football as long as I can remember. It’s the same reason that Linemen aren’t allowed to go block downfield (Ineligible Man Downfield) before the balls thrown. If those type things were allowed, you’d have 10 offensive guys blocking 5 DBs every play and no pass play would ever be successfully defended.

16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Someone should just start another thread for the Browns. My family are all Steeler fans. I want the Browns to win. 28-0 right now.

17. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Pittsburgh down 28 zip now.

18. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

I think the NFL would be a little more exciting to watch if they were allowed to score 1 POINT on a missed field goal...and then some.:eek::confused::)

19. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

Defenders have a hard enough time keeping up with receivers in a league that continually makes rules favoring the offense.

they should be allowed to be able to cover a receiver unhindered:

and any time a defender gets knocked off course by an offensive player, it should rightly be a penalty (when the play ends up a reception,) unless it’s clearly purposely initiated by the defender.

Intent to knock the defender isn’t relevant, (unless it’s egregious enough to warrant a personal foul) but the result of it is relevant.

if they stopped calling this, you’d find people toeing the line even more than they currently do.

there are a lot of dumb rules in football, this one isn’t one of them.

20. LostTheTone

LostTheTone Tele-Meister

I am a Steelers fan, but when I put the replay on this morning, and saw:

1st play - Pouncey snaps the ball over Ben's head, the Browns recover in the end zone for a TD.
    4th play - Browns bring pressure, and force an INT.

And then I said "Well ****." And turned it off.

But, having said that, the Brownies deserve something to be happy about. Lord knows it's been a long time.

I am not happy with my Steelers. A tale of hubris! The Steelers rest their starters in week 17, which allows the Browns to reach the playoffs. Then the Steelers are so out of sync in wildcard weekend that, shockingly, the Browns roll them over. And that is what you get when you don't take every game seriously.

For the rest of the playoffs, I will be supporting the Browns*.

The factory of sadness has become the factory of gladness!

*Until they get demolished by KC, press F my dudes.

schmee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.