Another Movie Thread - Based on History

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
TCM has been showing some good movies that take place during the American Civil War. One was The Outlaw Jose Wales. I really enjoyed it.

Other movies I’ve enjoyed that are based on history are The Last of The Mohicans, and Lincoln, both with Daniel Day Lewis. He was also in some others. Gangs of New York was good.

I’ve come to realize that a lot of my favourite movies are historical. What other ones do you recommend?

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
I recently saw Harriet, about Harriet Tubman, and The Green Book, On the Basis of Sex, about the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Marshall, about Thurgood Marshall, starring the late, great Chadwick Bozeman, are a few others I've seen recently that I though were very good. Of course, these weren't on TCM, but HBO or Showtime, I don't remember which.

Injam

Tele-Meister
TCM has been showing some good movies that take place during the American Civil War. One was The Outlaw Jose Wales. I really enjoyed it.

Other movies I’ve enjoyed that are based on history are The Last of The Mohicans, and Lincoln, both with Daniel Day Lewis. He was also in some others. Gangs of New York was good.

I’ve come to realize that a lot of my favourite movies are historical. What other ones do you recommend?
They found another Mohican, so they renamed the movie The Next to Last of The Mohicans.

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
Spartacus
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
The Big Red One
Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World
... and many more

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

A lot of Daniel Day Lewis' movie roles are based on (fictional or not) historical sources. In addition to the ones you mentioned, there's There Will Be Blood, The Boxer, In the Name of the Father, My Left Foot, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Bounty, and Gandhi.
I wonder how his new career as a cobbler (shoe maker) is going? ;)

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A lot of Daniel Day Lewis' movie roles are based on (fictional or not) historical sources. In addition to the ones you mentioned, there's There Will Be Blood, The Boxer, In the Name of the Father, My Left Foot, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Bounty, and Gandhi.
I wonder how his new career as a cobbler (shoe maker) is going? ;)

One of my favourite actors. Not really historical but I just saw his last one last week, The Phantom Thread.

Lake Placid Blue

Poster Extraordinaire
I recently saw Harriet, about Harriet Tubman, and The Green Book, On the Basis of Sex, about the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Marshall, about Thurgood Marshall, starring the late, great Chadwick Bozeman, are a few others I've seen recently that I though were very good. Of course, these weren't on TCM, but HBO or Showtime, I don't remember which.
Plus 1 for Harriet. That was a great movie. My family really enjoyed it.