Another Joyo JF-14 thread? Really?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Dennyf, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, sorry, but I just had to share.

After reading so many glowing reviews, and watching some videos on YouTube, I decided the Joyo JF-14 American Sound might be a simpler solution for my direct-to-PA rig than the more-complicated (and 6x more expensive) Giggity-to-ADA-GCS-2 solution I was using. While there are a couple things I miss a little bit about the GCS-2, the JF-14 does sound very convincing, is much simpler, and gives me more tone options than I had before. Not to mention that it takes up less space on the board than the two devices I was using before. In fact, now I could put the JF-14 on my primary pedalboard that I use with amps, instead of having a separate pedalboard for direct applications. I planned to just switch off the JF-14 when going into guitar amps, and switch it on to run direct-to-PA. Nifty.

But that’s not what this post is about.

In the past I’ve always found any device that was supposed to emulate a miked-speaker sound to sound dull and flat into a guitar amp. That makes total sense, given that one is feeding an already-frequency-compensated tone into another frequency compensator (i.e., the speaker in the amp). Didn’t expect the JF-14 to be any different.

But the other day, I kicked it on while practicing with my amp, and “holy cow!” It sounded great! I don’t understand how this can be, but it makes a great front end for an amp too. I use small tube amps (Fender Pro Jr.), which are still too loud when cranked up to the tone I like. The Joyo makes it much easier to get a tone I really like while still having total control over the volume.

It just really surprises me that a direct-to-PA pedal can also sound good into an amp without having some kind of speaker-emulation bypass. How’d they do that?

Iago, richiek65 and PhredE like this.
  2. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Nothing wrong with admitting a product is good and does what it claims to do.

I own the JF-14 (and the JF-13 AC Tone) and love 'em both.. for what they do .. oh, and the $40/unit price was more than reasonable.

I am in the process of swapping out a conventional 'guitar amp' to be replaced by a more general power amp (Class D, 'mini', but powerful). So, my amp will be just another device on the pedalboard too! (case is approx. 2"x4"x6"). One added twist and benefit of the Joyo amp emulators is, in addition to all the sound shaping / tone stack / etc that they do, they also act as a nice little potent preamp too. You can go direct into just about anything that will amplify the signal and still sound good.

Cheers! Good luck to you.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

For Dennf--

You can experiment with it and try goofy things like:

1. Plug output of Joyo directly into a speaker cab. It won't be loud, barely audible, and you should be able to hear some audible output.

2. Plug headphones into the output. Again, it will work -- with varying success -- depending on unit used and it's impedance.

3. I go straight into the amp input in my case. Since I don't run the Voice control up very high normally, it remains relatively quiet. But, I do know that you can get to settings that are very loud/noisy/distorted if you reach a particular combination of settings. (Voice, Drive, dialed up especially).

4. The Ac Tone (JF-13) IME is almost as good. The Vox high-end chime is definitely there, the edge-of-breakup is close, but not perfect. These things are powerful and take a few days to really dial in the desired tones (especially when used in front of an amp it seems). Still sounds good though. I've had the JF-14 for almost 3 years. I just got the JF-13 and plan on rounding out the mix with the British (Marshall; JF-16) tones just for fun since it's available and cheap.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Coincidentally, I dug my Joyo American Sound out yesterday and was playing it plugged into my Quilter Tone Block 200 (Tri-Q set at neutral) into a 2x12. Sounded great! I have a Caline Orange Overdrive on my pedal board I use for that kind of amp grit sometimes, but the Joyo has a more flexible EQ to it.

PhredE likes this.
  5. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

I wish I would have bought the American Sound instead of the ACTONE. I just don't like the breakup of a VOX amplifier.

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I have the AC Tone and it sounds friggin' amazing through a Vox amp of all things.

7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I have never run my AS or AC direct. AC usually is plugged into my PF 15R, which gives me channel switching and a second Vox-y gain stage. AS is sometimes used in the same way into my Blues DeVille. Both are plenty quiet when the gain is below noon, which fits my needs perfectly.

8. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

My best purchase in recent years. Every guitarist should have one. I use it mainly for recording, but I've gigged with it too, and I always have one in my gig bag. It's saved the day a couple of times when my fancy and expensive valve amp has died on the day.

9. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Yes, these Tech21 folks know what they're doing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.