Another Homemade Video

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by still_fiddlin, Aug 19, 2018.

1. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A formerly good friend of mine's first comment on seeing this, and I quote, "MAKEUP!" :)

Yeah, I'd given up on personal hygiene for a brief spell here, even putting on my danged glasses, because I'd squandered much of a day working on the audio for what I thought would be the video, only to then realize that every bit of the video was out of focus! I'm still struggling with Workflow when doing something like this, I can safely say.

Anyway, this was an exercise in playing with picture-in-picture in Final Cut Pro X, and also trying a couple mics I hadn't used together before - the venerable SM57 pointed at my soulful face and an ATM450, mostly aimed at the guitar. Decided they're not optimal for either my voice or guitar playing, but they're unobtrusive and for a close, frontal video, work better than LDCs with pop-screens (though it might have been the wiser choice ;)).

I.e., everything except getting the PiP video in place and sync'd was an afterthought. But I can say I now know one way to do it, at least. And, without further ado...

Kerry Vance, beagle, tintag27 and 7 others like this.
  2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Nice work, I like that a lot

still_fiddlin and Nickadermis like this.
  3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Sounds great to me !

still_fiddlin likes this.
  4. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Excellent! Really nice job!

5. still_fiddlin

@suthol, @Nickadermis & @Gene O. - thanks for listening/watching and commenting.

I forgot to mention that I'm open to suggestions on how to improve the sound or any other ideas. Mostly I'm trying to get to a way to easily/quickly set up and get something that's able to capture the semi-candid type performance folks use a smartphone for (e.g., on a front porch or living room), but with better quality, and maybe some different composition options by adding a 2nd camera. (One of these days I'll put my iPhone on a stand and do live streaming using a mix from the good mics/pres, but that's the next step.)

6. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

Great job!

7. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Dang, man, that is mite-tee fine on all levels! :cool:

8. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aside the fact that my knowledge and experience with recording does not allow to make proposals on how to improve sound, I absolutely see no reason to do this. I like your voice and I like the sound of your guitar (without that unnatural souped-up bass end that can be heard on so many recordings).

tintag27 and still_fiddlin like this.
  9. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I listened to this a couple more times this evening and thought, "Damn, I wish I could do that!"

Just sayin'. If you could spruce up that vocal and make it pop, this cut could make any Americana playlist in the country. The guitar is funkily immaculate. Try to punch up the vocal by notching in hi-mid freq ranges where the git doesn't fight it. Keep the lo-mid outa the mud, but don't suppress the warmth.

10. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I loved that!

Sounds great on my phone.

Try it one time where you don't overdub the solo part, just take the solo and don't worry about the rhythm guitar not being there.

You have a great voice and I loved the song and guitar playing.

11. still_fiddlin

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I have to say I wrestled getting the SM57 vocal where I liked it and may have given up a bit early, with this being the 3rd time I did this whole thing. For Google's own inscrutable reasons I can't update a video once posted, and I'm just not going to make another, but I have the audio track by itself on SoundCloud and I will go back and tinker with that. (My bass-bari and guitar occupy a lot of the same space - always a tug-o-war figuring that out every song.)

12. still_fiddlin

Thanks for the listen and compliments!

The first time did the video it was you suggest; but after about a week I decided I wanted to have the rhythm behind the lead. The long, sordid story is that instead of just dubbing in a few bars of rhythm, I decided to redo everything, and that 2nd take is where it went off the rails with the (full) video ending up out of focus. That break in the PiP window is actually from that 2nd take on the day before the re-do seen in the video. (note the different t-shirt :)). I record to a click, so it was "close enough" when I just did the song and dropped the previously recorded break.

So, it could work without a rhythm there - I've done it that way at an open mic - but I am not Norman Blake and, to me, it sounds like one guitar player taking a break by himself. So, I deleted that one, and used this to see if an old dog could learn how stack another clip on top of a multi-cam clip in Final Cut Pro X.

1955 likes this.
  13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Very nice!

14. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Very warm voice and the guitar strings sound balanced.Nice guitar too.
    You did very well!

15. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow - very impressive! Great playing and singing and the audio is very strong.
    Special praise for producing a toe-tapping, engaging live recording.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.