Another grammar thread....the death of the work ‘take’

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wally, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

You tell her!

2. Charlie Bernstein

My thought exactly.

3. Charlie Bernstein

Just click through some buttons. If I can figure it out, anyone can.

4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

FWIW, in 11 of the 22 COLLEGE student emails I received yesterday, the students
    • Misspelled words such as "its," "then," "and," "there," "later," "comma," "due," "now," and "no"
    • Did not capitalize "I"; such proper nouns as "America," "September," and "Microsoft"; words that began sentences; or the first letters of their own first/last names
    • Did not end sentences with periods and questions with question marks
    • Merged sentences with comma splices or with no punctuation at all
    • Misnamed our textbook
    • Misnamed our course
    • Ignored our bold-faced and often-repeated course rule that unauthorized late work will not be accepted
    • Ignored crystal clear formatting requirements
    • Misspelled my name
    • Misused commas for semi-colons, hyphens for dashes, brackets for parentheses, colons for periods, and periods for commas.
    All this after three weeks of reviewing how to make writing correct enough to be clear--in a leading university, predominated by engineers and scientists.

So at this point, I'd be overjoyed to see "bring" and "take" being confused, if they bothered to spell the damn things like, unowtimsaynbruh; like rite; dooood :

wattev;v-r

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    RoyBGood, Manual Slim and Wally like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, this morning I did find the tag edit function, but it is not changing anything....if indeed that is the function that would be meant for such a change.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Does it take the goods? Does it bring the cake?

7. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

1. The disappearance of “few” and “fewer” from the language. Hearing “there were less people attending this year” makes me cringe.

2. The use of the construction “X times less,” as in “Ten times less” rather than “a tenth as much.” No doubt started by someone who couldn’t deal with fractions.

3. “Enormity” as a synonym for “enormousness.” It means evil, not big.

4. ‘Impact’ instead of “affect.” If we use “impact” to mean “affect,” what word do we use when something actually hits something else?

5. Beginning every utterance with “So...”

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Faber College is slipping.

RoscoeElegante and drlucky like this.
  9. Charlie Bernstein

Sounds like you went to the right place. Good try!

Wally likes this.
  10. Charlie Bernstein

Now let's get started on affect versus effect. Uh. No. Let's not!

I mentioned the NPR So somewhere above. When they interview people, I count 'em. You can get as many as five Sos in one thirty-second interview. If you throw in all the Right sos, you can get even more.

11. RoscoeElegante

!

"N" for knowledge, baby!

Been at this racket 33 years now, at two (renowned) universities.

It breaks into rough thirds:
    • talented, thoughtful, or at least sincerely eager students
    • semi-slacky, mediocre, gimme-the-grade pseudo-students
    • sociopathic, insistently ignorant false-students who see classmates, teachers, institutions, and civilization itself as irritating stuff in their entitled fun's way.
    Within the top third are a sad 10% of talented ones who slack, dope, or drink themselves into failure.

Within the middle third are a good 10 or 20% who, happily, show you to be the fool by flourishing as you didn't think (but had hoped) they would.

Another 5% or 10% in the top and middle thirds suffer some kind of trauma or tragedy--a bad illness, a death in the family, etc.--but rally back heroically well. About 2% in these two top thirds are crushed by circumstance and have to quit for at least a semester.

But the bottom third, the sociopathic, stubborn ones--I can't say I've ever seen one sane and wise up. They do, however, look pretty good in their local mugshots within a semester or two, as many of them are the ones who've gotten by on looks and charm (that is, manipulation), right into the handcuffs.

It's also an informal study in neurological coriolis patterns, even when we're not gunking through grammar.

Some students' heads swirl one way while they're falling asleep, and some swirl the opposite way. Pretty cool when they're side by side doing that, like the underside of my Tonka Toys after I'd slipped 'em under Dad's backing-up Plymouth.

Some just bow in little stooping stages as their foreheads surrender to their desks' beckonings, as if rehearsing some upcoming trip to unWesternized Chinese villages.

Some slide back on their spines as their foreheads seek their florescent overlords. Even when they're seniors, they're surprised to find that they've drooled while doing so.

My favorite, though, is the Sylvester Stallone sleepers: their eyebrows try to deadlift their falling eyelids, so you have up-arching eyebrows going the opposite way of down-falling eyelids. The eyelids almost always win.

The bullfroggers with their little grunts are amusing. And I once had a student who would sing as she began to topple, always to her right. Whereupon a classmate would nudge her awake. Whereupon she would fart, daintily. And then blush, mightily.

One particularly eruptive snorer scared a squirrel off the window ledge from which he'd been peering into class at us.

One burly gent would always squeeze a bicep and smile and then suddenly frown, while a tiny young lady had a squeak in her yawn much like the automatically ricocheting bullets in spaghetti westerns.

And the one who, despite my cautions and her vows, would invariably drop her iced mega-coffee in her lap as she dozed aisle-ward and blurt "What did I DO!" when she jumped awake--you gotta love people who remind you of Stan Laurel on otherwise dreary days.

Can you tell that, after about 7,000 students, how they fall asleep is more interesting to me than big hunks of what I gotta (try to) teach 'em?

Euphonica and RLee77 like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Your talents are wasted on us!

13. Charlie Bernstein

I have a political science professor friend who says she hasn't seen a well-written final paper since 2002.

And speaking of i, I ran into someone recently who always spells you with a capital Y because a small y is rude.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  14. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

The one I hate is prolly instead of probably

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. BigDaddyLH

Totes!

16. RoscoeElegante

Ohhh, no, they ain't!

This place is truly an oasis of funny, witty, smart, articulate, knowledgable, and helpful people. Whatever grammar, etc., mistakes people sometimes make around here don't fog their points and wit. Letter-perfect grammar, spelling, etc., are one thing, and real eloquence, a real skill with language, another.

Plus, when I don't have to teach correctness, I really love quirky individuality. (Even though spelling "post" as "poast" does trigger my dismal-papers rage-meter.)

Wally likes this.
  17. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Language keeps evolving whether we like it or not. Drives me crazy sometimes.

18. BigDaddyLH

For instance, here are some new entries to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary for this month:

• deep state
    • red flag law
    • vacay
    • sesh
    • inspo
    • fabulosity (hard to say that without continuing with "girrrrrrrrrl!")
    • fatberg
    • solopreneur
    • pickleball
    • escape room
    • free solo
    • they (“used to refer to a single person whose gender identity is nonbinary” )
    • colorism
    • Bechdel test
    • stinger
    • coulrophobia
    • aphantasia (just heard a story on CBC radio about this!)
    • autogenic training
    • pain point
    • haircut (“a reduction in the value of an asset”)
    • rhotic, non-rhotic, rhoticity
    If I try to imagine a song that uses all of those, the first song that comes to mind as a start is "Subterranean homesick blues".

19. Charlie Bernstein

Oh, man, don't come to Maine! Some words get syllables taken out (prully, Saddy) and some get them thrown in (hee-ah, they-ah, goo-ud).

It's actually pretty cool, once you lock into it.

20. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Just saw this and thought of this thread.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.