1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Another GC Rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, Jun 27, 2010.

1. blueshawk1

blueshawk1 Tele-Meister

That is really a good idea. I've seen so many complaints, as we all have in the forums, that those two simple rules would address and correct.
    And I'm sure in most places, if they had those rules, if it were a dead time as far as customers go, they wouldn't worry all that much about enforcing them strictly.

2. Jemwielder

Jemwielder TDPRI Member

I'm not going to lie I enjoy playing fast. It went from Steve Vai type shred fests to clean country stuff. I do try to play stuff that's intelligent. I know plenty of cats who just shred through things. I try to build things to a climatic point. Where abouts in rochester are you BTW?

3. G-guitar

G-guitar Tele-Meister

the one by my house has 2, one for bass& acoustics and one for gutiars. and none for drums...... I hate drums

IMHO people who go to GC or those stores are show offs nothing but.

When I want to buy an amp or a guitar I go to this really old guy bout 90 years old who owns a shop, he has nice sound proof booths you take the amp into and you get 10 minutes. thats all or you can pay 100 deposit and take the amp or guitar home overnight to test it out.

because I am very timid so I never like to play at GC.

Plus I hate Drums drums peeve me off, thy are loud and almost always bad

4. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

why don't you just say.. It annoys me whenever anyone plays something I don't appove of!

Personally, I appreciate the musical qualities of

"those god awful country chords"... MUSIC TO MY EARS

"the Penotonic guys" ...... if they can cold shot like SRV I could listen to that for a while

"the jazz guys"..... HELL YEA.. some of those hippies can play... let em go.

I don't care what the person is playing,, if you want to try out a guitar just politley ask them if you can borrow the room for a minute.

maybe the "shredder" is looking to buy a couple grand worth of amps and guitars, and your just looking at a cheap $500 tele....

NO,, plain and simple that assumption is wrong. ALOT of guys on this board, and great players I know have been to guitar center. I HATE playing in front of people, but I like stopping to see what they have, around here they are about the only store that carries Gibson guitars anymore....

5. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

It's even worse for bass players. Every jack--- who picks up a bass starts up some stupid slap-funk-poppin' crap that's all trebly with the tweeter all turned up...

Seriously? When's the last time you heard slap funk on the radio? And that's all any of you can think to play?

Oh, and the scooped-mids Korn garbage just makes it worse.

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I still ain't been in a GC. Got one down the road but I am a die hard support your local indie store guy.

Shredding or hooking up a ton of boxes in your signal chain - its all the same.
    It is nothing more than making a sound you like. Can't condemn 'em for that.

But I love the shredders and heavy metal angels. They can make some of the best guitar faces I have ever seen. I will wait my turn just for the entertainment value. They bring a smile to my face.

7. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

I've often wondered how many people have gotten annoyed the times I went down to my local Sam Ash/GC/Best Buy and spent 10-15 minutes butchering Buddy Holly songs like Peggy Sue...both clean and with distortion.

What do you all think? :D

8. G-guitar

G-guitar Tele-Meister

I am ashamed to admit I am a better bassist than guitarist, but I never ever use that stupid slap and pop crap hardly ever, also and yes They are show offs when you go into a GC to be loud and annoying like so many teenagers i know, with no intention of buying guitars your showing off

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought the original point of this thread was to complain about stuff we don't like. :)
    Actually, my sarcasm didn't come through very well in my previous post (didn't you see the smiley?), but my intent was to show that everyone has their own preferences, and shredders have every right to play loudly as the blues, country, and jazz guys.
    There is always going to be someone at GC who doesn't like what someone else is playing.

I think, though, that zimbo was just looking for an excuse to voice his dislike of shredders in general. Hence the "wanking" comment

10. Jakester93

Jakester93 Tele-Meister

I don't like playing at GC. I'm always afraid that someone's gonna think I'm the dick who plays too loud or something. I usually get over it though, especially if the guitar/amp is awesome(like the es-335+fender tube combo that I played!) :)

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't follow you, because the relationship is asymmetrical. The shredder can't very well claim some guy playing mellow bits is interfering with him, can he? Let him make droning noises on the floor in the open - they only go back there to hide so they don't get dirty looks from others. Add to that the fact that mellow bits guys outspend shredders 5 to one ( or is it ten to one? ) in any store like that. Shredders never have any real problem turning up anywhere they feel like it, based upon what I have seen.

12. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Well you gotta admit...it is pretty easy to feel 'cool' onstage. Heck, that's half the fun ain't it!? :twisted:

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kelnet being Kelnet; nothing to be alarmed about.

I'm a big fan of quotes being attributed. If I don't know who the quote is from, I really don't know what meaning to assign to it.

We got black humor, we got irony, we got sarcasm, we got embellishment, we got hyperbole. We got it all at TDPRI. Without knowing who the guy was that said something, it really has no certain meaning. People from all walks, you know what I'm saying.

Very powerful impulse not to read a post with quotes that lack attribution; to just skip past it.

Sorry for the interruption. We gotta solve this Guitar Center problem today, once and for all. C'mon guys, I know we can do it!! ;)

14. chet

chet Banned

Only guy I ever heard play a Johnny Cash song right other than actually with Johnny Cash was a TDPRI member (can't remember his name) at one of those Long Island forum jams. He had that "chunka-chunka" thing down and it sounded sweet!

15. theHUSTLER

theHUSTLER Tele-Meister

all 4 around DALLAS have them

16. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Tele-Afflicted

Wrong.

It's more like athletics; training, speed, timing, power, accuracy and strength.

I love the stuff if it's done up right. Steve Morse comes to mind, among others.

17. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

But music is supposed to be art, not sports.

Just kidding. There's a lot of 64th notes in the old classical stuff, and many a bebop jazz cat plays way fast.

Just try to make it musical for the listener, k? ;)

18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Problem is that it seems to me a big part of GC's business is selling to kids looking for their first student guitar or shredders which often means the same thing. I have to admit though that when I was amp shopping a couple of weeks ago the GC manager who knows me and how much I spend on gear actually told some shredder who'd been at it for a long time to shut it down. The kid seemed actually surprised and started laying out some BS story about being sponsored by Gibson to which the manager replied "we are a store not a venue and perhaps you should have Gibson send you some guitars to try out."

Most of the GC employees who know me well enough admit that they hate this stuff. After all they have to listen to it all day. They also hate the fact that so many fine guitars are getting dinged up and trashed by these guys. However, GC policy is what it is.

19. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

When I mention shredding what I really mean is thrash metal. I'm not talking about fast single note runs but rather heavy distorted death metal chord shapes where you keep strumming real fast up and down the neck with a few high pitched squeals thrown in. Every GC employee's nightmare to hear this stuff for 20 minutes straight.

I would not describe Steve Morse as a thrash metal player.

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Damn. I have to up the ante. I'm no longer alarming. :D

I do agree, though, boris. If someone is going to quote me, they should at least include the attribution. But it's okay. Slick missed the point anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.