1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Another Day" by Randy Walker (mix content)

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Nov 25, 2020.

1. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I've been working on an album for an old bud since summer, and I'm finally wrapping it up. The deal: He recorded his 10 songs for a CD titled "Capture Me" here at the Woodshed, with the understanding that I'd write, perform and engineer all the backing tracks with a pretty free rein as to how to frame them.

He wanted subdued drums and standup bass with prominent vocals — i.e., the voice, not the drums, move the limiter on most tracks. Toms and snare are pretty dead and most of the arrangements are designed to frame the voice. ... I took my production cues from the old Vanguard folk albums of the '60s, with of course the advantages of 21st-century audio tech! :D

This one's a ballad, and I got a notion to try a string quartet, something like George Martin did with the Beatles, and had a ball writing the tracks. It's mastered for CD, a little hot for streaming, so I've lost some subtleties in the upload transcoding (the acoustic guitar in particular suffered), but it's enough to get an idea of what's going on. Give it a spin!

2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Oh my goodness.

Time for you to do a world tour and sprinkle some of the magic Woody mixing fairy dust around so the rest of us can move up a rung on the ladder

FortyEight likes this.
  3. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Looks like you forgot your deodorant or something Woody, folks are staying away from the party

woodman likes this.
  4. woodman

Maybe it's my hair spray!

suthol likes this.
  5. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Holy crap that is good song. I had to listen to it twice right off. I think I'd pay money for that CD.

The drums are saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. His voice is great and I like the lyrics. What mic did he use on his voice? Can't forget the guitar and bass. Very well done and niiiiiiice. And yes the strings are really good!!! I don't know what it would sound like without it but it's definitely good with it.

I personally think it could use some more high end in the mix on the drums cuz I think it would raise the ceiling to bring out the highs in his voice. But that's just an opinion and either way it's a FANTASTIC song. Crikeys. Tell that dude GREAT JOB!!!!!!. Seriously. I do have kind of a soft spot for ballads and that tempo and beat. Love the accented up beats and all that. But yeah. That is a really good song.

6. woodman

Thanks, FortyEight. Randy wrote the song and tracked the vocal and acoustic rhythm guitar here in the Woodshed. I did everything else myself, a testament to 21st-century tech! The vocal mic was Miktek M-300 LDC, an astonishingly good deal at $299. Before I bought it a couple of years ago, I saw one review that described it as the "poor man's Neumann." Parallel compression had a lot to do with the vocal sound.

Winding up the album now and have gently tweaked the levels after playing this and the rest of the tunes on a variety of sound sources. I'll post the final mix when it's done, hopefully within a couple of days.

suthol likes this.
  7. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I have an SM58 and an MXL990 someone borrowed me. I don't have a "booth" so I'm skeptical about using the mxl990. Although I used it on the last song for a few background vocals and it has a good sound but does pick up more of other stuff going on over the SM58. I like how the 58 sounds but I think I'm gonna do all my vocals and acoustic guitar for my next song with the MXL990 and see if I gain anything by doing that.

I'm assuming maybe the mxl990 and the mic you used may be similar? Same dollar value condenser mic.

It sounds freaking great though sir. You done good. I will definitely have a listen to the songs if you post them up. Might take me a few days go get through all of them, but after that song I'm wanting to hear more for sure.

It's a cold day, it's just another day.... here with you. (I forget if that's exactly how he said it but I'm singing it in my head).

8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Some great stuff on there. Love the drums and the strings. Doesn't hurt that it's a great song to begin with.

9. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I like the song, love the arrangement, just not the vocals. I’d have to listen several times to see what I’d do. Maybe doubled and then have some kind of background vocals when it gets busier? Not sure. But the vocals just sound too...plain? But, it’s a good song to work with. Good job.

10. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That is a great song, and you did a nice George Martin thing there! Really liked it.

Those Miktek MK300s are sweet. Someone told me they regretted bringing them out because they gave their top mic a good run. (I keep mine safely stored since I've only had my own croaks to record lately. They've been on backorder forever everywhere for some time - makes me wonder if it will come back.)

11. woodman

Thanx, Keith, and to everybody else for your input.

Franc, the acoustic bit in the bridge of this song (~1:44-2:00) was done with the Rainsong. I've got a few more where it's got more of a featured role if you're interested.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.