Another damn Bonamassa thread?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chris m., Jan 2, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have it on very good authority that Joe is taking lessons from this guy on how to spice up his act. Just gotta work the guitar in there somewhere.

Er, on second thought, maybe not.

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have to say that this “eye condition that makes it hard to cope with bright lights” is nonsense perpetuated by musicians and other pretentious tools, who figure that’s better than saying “I think I look super cool wearing sunglasses indoors.”

3. Toto'sDad

Can't

[​IMG]

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

[​IMG]

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

He might have had hits on the Blues charts but what does that even mean? I've never once heard him played on the FM Dial. Not sure I've ever even seen him displayed prominently in a record store either.

A lot of the greats mentioned in comparison to him wrote blues/blues based music that was so good it became mass market popular and "crossed over" to the Top 100/Top 40.

AFAICT the Blues/R&B charts were just a segregation thing anyway to make sure the regular Top X charts were whitebread. They're not real relevant today when the top 40 is highly multi-colored and Joe's white anyway. IMO he needs to have a major hit that directly competes with Taylor Swift and Beyonce and all those folks before he can really get mentioned in the same sentence with SRV, Hendrix, Clapton or even John Mayer. If I was going to bet on it I'd almost be willing to bet Gary Clark Jr is more likely to accomplish that before JB does.

I'll say I like this Rock Candy Funk Party stuff better than his normal music. Still sounds like him but the different style is more enjoyable for me.

How many people here hate Death Metal/Black Metal/Djent? Can you appreciate the talent those guys often have but still don't prefer the music? A lot of people are just like that with Bonamassa. (I might have said country but there are too many country players/fans here!)

TokyoPortrait and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

You guys keep talking about Joe Bonamassa. I'll tell you what's hard, being a heart throb okie music guy when you fifty one years old, now that's hard.

[​IMG]

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I’ve only ever heard of the guy here. Eh. There are worse performers. Looks like he’s having fun up there :)

8. Toto'sDad

It could be worse, you could have rearendal implants like Madonna's.

9. luckett

luckett Banned

Greta Van Fleet > Joe Bonamassa

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah if I had never started playing guitar I would know who Greta Van Fleet is but I would not know who Joe Bonamassa was, 99% sure of that.

I go into the record store at least 1X a week even though I basically never buy anything (streaming) cause I go for a walk out of my office several times a week and I walk buy a record store. Both Greta Van Fleet's EP and their current album have been prominently displayed all year, and I've heard them played on the radio. No Joe B at all either place.

11. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

lmao, NO! I will not support music /artists that sound like lame crap to me! Neither will you or anyone else. I dont hate him-- would love to have his money and yes, his talent. But Id sure try to make better music if I had that talent lol

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To be fair, I really dont know much by her so I cant honestly say. The couple songs I heard didnt appeal to me, but not surprised at her popularity.

13. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Speak for yourself....

I'm not suggesting you buy his albums attend his concerts or buy his merch...

I'm just saying don't knock him for helping the instrument and providing others with something they enjoy.

That's a waste of energy on something negative....

If there's one thing the world needs less of its pointless/aimless negativity.

Why not try and be an ambassador for guitar instead of a thorn in its side... it helps guitar oriented music in general.

I cant stand Grunge ... I never liked Nirvana.... but i can respect and appreciate what they did for guitar.

Don't be bitter for bitters sake.

stevemc and RLee77 like this.
  14. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

.....and why you be hatin' on alleys anyways?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Exaggerate much? I realize that to get anything across on the 'nets, the common practice is to massively overstate your point, to make it stand out. You may not like it, no issues with that, to each his own.

WetBandit likes this.
  16. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

When he plays blues, he over-plays it and drowns out the subtlety and emotion. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the video the OP posted at the beginning of this thread. His style seemed to fit this progressive jazz sound quite well. Maybe there is a career for Joe after all.

17. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Ask Pete Weber why he wears them on the PBA tour.... TV cameras are very bright and obstruct his vision so he cant see his target quite as good...

So shades aren't always without good reason...

Idk about Joe's case though, stage lighting can get damn hot and bright though I do know that. But I'd say he just wants to look cool lol...

18. Toto'sDad

Hey man I ain't baggin' on alleys, they are kind of like a motel 6 for musicians.

kuvash likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

I'll bet if Joe read this thread he would have a great deal of difficulty sleeping and eating. Well, maybe not. He would probably say, sheesh what a bunch of wankers!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

RLee77 likes this.
  20. Jason Hutchinson

Jason Hutchinson TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.