Another damn Bonamassa thread?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chris m., Jan 2, 2019.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

He's made it to number one on the billboard 21 times.... where have you been?

And preferring listening to the "forefathers" is fine and dandy, but these guys like Joe are the torch bearers now, like it or not....

And thank god for them.... may they help keep the instrument alive, and have the sounds of wailing guitars blasting through the speakers of many a new listener and young future "torch bearers".

Everyone, I mean EVERYONE should be thanking the guys and gals like Joe who help keep the instrument alive and in the public eye. Instead of it dying off with the guys who actually got to see Jimi at Woodstock.

For some reason...guys like, Hendrix, Page, Clapton etc.... who practically created so many incredible players, are one of the very reasons some of these players are looked down on or overlooked entirely. Tragic irony or poetic justice, you tell me?

Alot of these contemporary players are doing EXACTLY what the "forefathers" did.... take the things they heard and saw and make it BIGGER, LOUDER, and more robust in every way possible....

Its human nature, to keep trying to do "it" better...

You know.... "progress" dude.

Even if it's the same old "tired" blues licks....

You gonna stop listening to the old guys that wrote those licks??

Nope, because they are great licks... and they never get old or "tired"..... rock n roll will never die...

No rules in rock n roll.... so keep the doubestops and 8th notes coming, they sound real nice when a great player is playing them, in time with a great band.

Please stop subscribing to the death of rock n roll.... it has transcended the 60s and 70s and is still using the same 4 licks the same 3 chords.... and the same 7 notes...

Sorry for ranting.... frustrated.

RLee77, Toto'sDad, brogh and 2 others like this.
  2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I just don't see what he does as "progress", to me it's homogenization. He's taken 2 great genres(rock and blues) and blended them into one horrible genre (easy listening music). I watched his entire Royal Albert Hall performance last night just to see if I was missing anything and I found it to be stunningly boring and devoid of any human feeling. The crowd loved it.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Love his stuff. Keeping the solo rock / blues amplified guitarist thing alive amid the horrid other music out there.

All power to him.

WetBandit and brogh like this.
  4. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

He seems like a heck of a nice guy, he loves the blues, and he has more skill at playing than any three other guitarists. My problem with Joe is that when I hear him play, I don’t hear Joe- just a lot of perfect renditions of others. When you hear BB, Clapton, Beck, SRV, or Hendrix, you know in a few notes who it is. With Joe, you don’t know until the DJ announces it.

LocoTex likes this.
  5. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Doesn't really appeal to me much, but not bad.

6. Colo Springs E

I guess he's been the same place me and legions of others have been who are mostly unaware of his work. I looked him up and certainly didn't see 21 #1 billboard 'hits.' I saw where he had some blues songs that charted, not sure I saw one #1? What are you referring to? (genuinely curious)

Why are you frustrated that most people don't like/don't want to listen to him? If you and a small group of guitarists like him, who cares?

7. Bones

On the blues charts, he has had number ones, but not on the Billboard 100.

8. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    from how much he's touring i don't think it's a "small" group ... it might be te opposite IMHO, people who don't like him seems way much less than those who do .....

everybody has the tendency of defending what they like, i didn't really read any frustration in that post.

9. Colo Springs E

Got it. I'm not surprised by that, but I couldn't find them googling/wiki etc. Either way, it's a very small group of people (mostly guitarists) who know anything about him, and for the poster to point out "21 number one hits" as some sort of claim to fame... a bit misleading.

10. Colo Springs E

He stated he was frustrated in his post.

If he attracts large crowds to his live performances that's great--that's how you make the money.

11. Bones

Taylor Swift has a bunch if number ones on the hot 100, I'm not buying what she's selling either.

5ofeight likes this.
  12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

That clip just isn't funky at all. Yes, the band and players are highly proficient, but it just sounds more like easy listening than funk.

For the record, here is my totally objective grading scale for funk. Does it make me want to shake my booty? Yes it's shaking! = 10 stars. I'm politely tapping my foot = 5 stars. I haven't moved in ten minutes = 0 stars.

Bones likes this.
  13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

upload_2019-1-3_7-15-41.png

smartsoul72 likes this.
  14. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure Joe has an eye condition that makes it hard for him to cope with bright lights, quick google didn't pull up a quote though. So, he just made it part of his style.

15. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

When we are talking about a blues artist, I kinda thought it was understood he was on the BLUES charts.... I mean hes certainly not gonna be on the pop charts.

And I'm not a huge JB fan honestly.... dont own any of his albums and have never seen him live, but I just moved passed hating on the guy a while back and learned that I should be thanking the man for keeping it all going.

I mean the same complaints everyone has about him could be applied to a lot of other high profile extremely revered players.

Steve Vai, Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Joe Satriani....

All those guys have been dubbed emotionless or robotic at least one time or another....

Truth is they are the modern masters of the instrument, and they just happen to be more highly skilled players, than our heroes of old.

Not saying they are better performers or songwriters, but they are a technically superior lot, to the likes of Hendrix, Page, Clapton, etc...

No amount of citations or excuses can change that I'm afraid.

And no, I'm not a huge fan of guitar Pyrotechnics...

I subscribe to the school of Billy Gibbons and Hank Marvin and Ry Cooder... they are my guitar idols. But by no stretch of the imagination are they more advanced players than Joe, Malmsteen, Satch, or Vai...

Just because I dont like someone or find them entertaining doesn't mean I cant support and appreciate and RESPECT what they do as contributors to the longevity and legacy of electric guitar...

Stop hating, start supporting..... is all I'm saying.

P Thought, RLee77 and brogh like this.
  16. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

I liive under a drop out rock in antartic, I don't get out much and the current trends never even make it my way, by design I sheepishly admit.
    I listened to this youngster play on U-tube and though wow he reminds me of Wynton Marsalis playing James Stephensons' , Sonata for trumpet and piano.
    Everthing very much in order, punctilious to understate how his masterful technique was affected to having no effecect on my emotions. Very pure, very staid
    I hope he recieves the acclaim and financial rewards he justly deserves

17. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I've seen him sell out a 5000 seater venue, that's a lot of guitarists in one town. I certainly know of people who know of Joe who aren't guitarists and he has a following in the UK having in the past been heavily featured on Radio 2 ( the most listened to English language radio station in the world apparently) and Planet Rock ( which isn't that big but is still a national station) and he's had concerts broadcast on Sky ( roughly speaking the UK version of Fox). Presumably he's had similar exposure elsewhere in the world.
    I doubt if he's a household name ( although who is these days ) but being a niche artist selling a few cd's to guitarists didn't pay for that vintage guitar collection.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Hmmmm, sells 5,000 seats in your neck of the woods, sells out a 4500 seat venue in Bakersfield Ca, a Podunk town if there ever was one. However, he's just not up to standards of the pinky lifting connoisseurs of fine guitar music. Well then! I suppose they could very well be overwhelmed, but here's something probably more along the lines of their taste.

The most popular man in country music.

19. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

IMHO, it looks like Joe has succeeded at what most of us on this forum profess to want. He got really good at playing his guitar, he has collected a bunch of really cool gear, and he get to play as much as he wants, making good money at it.

I can tell you without even listening to most of us, that I'd probably like some of our music, and not like some of it, even if you play a style of music that I like. And I can tell you that I really appreciate what each of us is trying to do, whether I "like" it or not.

I think of Joe, and really, any famous musician, as just like me only better. On the rare occasions when I've been able to meet any of these guys, this usually proves to be true. They're just people who worked really hard on the thing they loved to do. Whereas, I, and probably most of us on this forum, worked really hard at having a job and a semblance of a "normal" life. Neither is better, and being a good, reliable provider for your family is heroic, however you do it.

A cardinal tenet of any local music scene is for musicians to support other musicians - go to the shows, listen to the other bands in town, build the network. I guess I feel the same way about this whether the player is local or international, and whether it's a bar or a stadium. Music is an important part of humanity, and I appreciate anybody's effort to get it out there, and feel a responsibility to help them do it, even if it's to steer a friend to listen to music that is not my cup of tea, but that I feel they would like.

I get the criticisms of Joe, Eric, Yngwie, and others. As an honest way to help each other define what we want our own playing to be or not to be, they can be helpful. As a way to put down somebody's lifetime of effort and courage to put it out there, not so much. IMHO

P Thought and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I like Joe!

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.