Another damn Bonamassa thread?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chris m., Jan 2, 2019.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Joe Bonamassa's been on stage more this week than I have in my whole life, but I have a theory about the sunglasses:

We've had threads before about "guitar face", and I think there's agreement that GF is largely involuntary. Guitarists who have it are often self-conscious about it, and wear hats, glasses, or sunglasses to hide it, or at least distract from it. Mr. B has it, he knows it, he can't help it, so he wears the glasses. I wear a hat myself; some guitarists even wear buckets or masks. . . .

I've seen Joe Bonamassa in concert twice, my wife loves him, and when he comes around again we'll probably go again. It's your ticket money, don't go if you don't like him, but you must be an awful good guitarslinger yourself if you feel qualified to slag him.

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Maybe he wears them as not to be blinded by stage lights. It’s bright up there. Or he’s just a dbag.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

jimilee and brookdalebill like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don’t know about all that. I’ll never be a five star chef. But I can tell when the food is bland and flavorless.

That aside, I don’t actually have a problem with Joe. He’s a successful musician. Good for him. I don’t care much for what he usually does, so I don’t listen to it. But I wish him no ill will. He apparently does a good bit of business with a friend’s vintage shop, and by all accounts is a really nice dude.

He always just struck me as doing exercises, and not really creating anything or having much passion live. I think I’d like him a lot better if I could get an idea of who he really was. But from what I’ve seen, he never really seems to go for anything or really express any emotion. It all just seems too rehearsed and clean for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Not a bad clip......when it started out I thought it was gonna morph into Superstition.....then as it went along it "kinda" went into the Barney Miller theme song. Overall, I think you can hear bands on a par with this most weekends around town.

RodeoTex and Jakedog like this.
  5. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Joe B is everything a guitarist loves to hate...

Talented, Rich, Has tons of awsome gear.... and has many hits in his respective genre...

It's no wonder most guys hate him or loath him...

And guess what, If I were Joe I would be stoked I have that effect on other players!

The man will go down as one of the meanest players to have ever lived, that's an undeniable fact.

All things considered and internal filters and biases set aside.... Joe is a solid musician and a masterful guitarist.

The only thing we can argue about his is all matter of taste.... and we can do that until the sky falls...

But he will still be rich,talented, and cranking out the tunes, with a bunch of gear you cant find, let alone afford.

So best just get over it and listen to some tasty jamz....

LocoTex, Crashbelt, RLee77 and 3 others like this.
  6. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

is that what we're calling "funk" these days? Sounds like two lead guitar players to me. I kinda miss any kind of James Brown, Bootsy Collins, Sly Stone, Larry Graham, George Clinton vibe.

7. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    THIS is what i think very much too, envy is a bad thing :) We should all be happy to have this guy around .. he's one of us you'd like it or not .. :) i'd be thrilled to meet him and have some chat about guitars and amps, who knows maybe one day .. :)

Jim622, Wallo Tweed, LocoTex and 9 others like this.
  8. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Joe’s note density during solos bugs me. He is very formulaic with not much in the way of dynamic ebb and flow. He starts his solos the same way, quite often. His solos are usually one solid block of 8th notes with very little manipulation of the negative space of music. Kinda like listening to some intermediate saxophonists play bebop (I call it “the 8th note runs” syndrome). Not always compelling beyond the realm of sheer technical prowess. If music is communication/story telling, what story is Joe trying to tell beyond, “Hey look at how good I am?”

Also, he plays a LOT of the same licks he was playing as a teenager (there are videos of it) in spite of having access to a world of great guitarists for the entirety of his adult life. I.e. steal more than just one lick from George Benson next time you see him.

Are some of my strongish opinions of Joe born out of musical bitterness? Yea... but not entirely. While it is true, I wish I too had been surround by the greatest guitarists on the planet for much of life, I also wish Joe would leave some damn space in his solos! I quite prefer bluesmen like Big Bill Broonzy and Blind Blake. “West Coast Blues” by Blind Blake or “Hey Hey” by Broonzy stomp about as hard as humanly possible, and they they are playing by themselves. In my opinion, it doesn’t get much better than that!

nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Some of their other stuff is a bit funkier, but it is more funk- influenced than true funk, for sure.

10. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

I have all of their records and the first one is easily the best of them. The next two seem less focused and more blues oriented.

The first one is incredible. It's still on my most played list.

11. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

someones throwing money at him,cant be all bad,here's a reason to hate him..LOL..[​IMG]

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  12. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

+1

I like Joe B and especially like his casual videos about guitar playing and collecting.

And whenever I feel some Joe-dislike coming on, I turn on a hip-hop based, melody-free bro country song with auto-tuned vocals...cures me real quick! :D

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I don't HATE Joe....in fact there are MANY things I like and admire about him. I think I "good-naturedly" envy him. He IS very talented and successful.....so is that Bieber guy, but I have different life priorities, both musically and gear-related. I couldn't sleep at night if I owned that many guitars and amps.....my conscience just wouldn't let me. There are MANY musicians that are talented, successful and admired, but just aren't my "cup of tea".....doesn't make them "evil", but still not someone I choose to listen to. My only "niggle" is if the public thinks his is the only valid way to make music. The uninitiated might listen to him, and then listen to someone like Paul Kossoff, and think Koss isn't any good 'cause he doesn't play ninety notes to the bar. But as far as that OP video goes, Joe's playing doesn't make OR break it for me.....it's just not that great! ;)

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Despite whatever music videos there are my favorite Joe B videos are the ones where he talks about gear.
    He seems like a personable enough guy.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  15. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

As for the glasses, I think he wears them because he needs to. I remember when he was younger and had longer (and more) hair, he always wore glasses, the prescription kind. Unless he's had lasik I suspect he may wear prescription shades.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks - I like them. Im gonna have to look into them further. Nice.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You didn't know I waz a big talent scouter upper didja ya? :lol::lol::lol:

nojazzhere and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  18. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

What "hits" has he had?

He's a technically excellent player, but to me, he is an absolute bore of a performer and comes off as a total douche in every clip I have ever seen of him. There is nothing that I have heard of his recordings that would ever make me want to hear them again.

That doesn't mean I think I'm a better player than him, it just means I don't like what he's doing. Obviously a lot of people do like what he does or he wouldn't be getting paid. Personally, I would rather listen to the people who paved the way for him.

19. Toto'sDad

Next time I will introduce myself! :twisted:

20. Toto'sDad

When I saw him there were about 4500 people there on a week night. I'm just wondering how many people from the Bonamassa ballbusting brigade pull in on a Saturday night in the Club down at the Braidwood Inn? It helps I suppose when they are serving those delightful Seagram's Strawberry Daiquiri Pouches 2 for 5 bucks! :D:D:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.