So Sad ...
Just so Senseless.

She was 5 years from retiring.
Geez....
:(

rghill

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Even in my parent's neighborhood of retired seniors, we saw Sheriff's deputies descending on a home nearby. They had a huge mobile crime lab and half a dozen detectives with them. They were searching for a body in a dumpster. Not sure if they found what they were looking for.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
You can have that kind of stuff just about anywhere now.

Our police sergeant friend would remind others of the general state of human stupidity and bad news habits. She pointed out waves of crime and stats that can be same or similar over time. The difference being the later part of her career has had all the toys from the post-911 money and a world where more cameras show up right away making same history look more dramatic.

knavel

Tele-Holic
You know I keep hearin' 'bout people leaving California, well, let them be on about their business and get on out of here. So far, it don't look like 1883 with Sam Bond, I mean Elliot heading up a wagon train. Youse Texicans is welcome to as many of them as you can stand.

The crime is only part of the story as to why California is losing population: It's the taxation both income and appended to goods like gas and electricity. It's effectively wiped out the middle class in your state. It touches everyone whether drive by shootings happen in their neighborhoods or not.

knavel

Tele-Holic
Where I live you can lose yer wallet on the subway and it'll come back to you with the money in it.

And when the cops give it back they tell you who found it and tell ya to go say thank you.

Sometimes I can hardly imagine ever moving back to the States; I think the reverse culture shock would kill me...

+1 on moving back to the USA for my part. I would only add that I lose things all the time and my wallet has come back to me in London with money in it, as well as in southern Spain. It's just a matter of who finds it. Although in my mind Japan is no 1 the best place for safety and such and it's really about the only place I haven't been to that I really want to see.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Fellow Hoosier.

This kind of story makes my blood boil, so I have to be careful.

Last year at the county fair, I met the wife of a policeman who came up north to Michigan after a long career in some big city in Texas. I can't remember if it was Dallas or Houston. I remember nodding and saying ah well, retiring to the countryside must be nice and peaceful. The woman looked stricken and shook her head.

Her husband has constant nightmares. He still feels compelled to help out the local PD, so he sees a steady trickle of domestic abuse, rape, drug trafficking, child trafficking, constant gang violence, and child abuse that is frequently sexual and fatal.

So although this couple may be retired, they have no rest.

I grew up outdoors and come from a rural area. It saddens me to my soul that large parts of the American countryside have regressed into low-trust hellholes. The murder of a police officer is a strike at the center of a community's trust, like so many other things.

A society can only be governed by a police state. To live free, you need a real community.

They are small.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I'm not sure it matters where you live. We've had 3 consecutive shootings in 3 consecutive days within half a mile of my place of employment. All injuries. No deaths. Thank goodness most of the bad guys around here can't hit the side of a barn. The one yesterday was 96 shots fired by 2 rival groups ending with 2 shooters receiving non life threatening wounds. :rolleyes:

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
You can have that kind of stuff just about anywhere now.

Agreed. We live in a pretty quiet area with little to no crime or worry. During the last year or 2 we’ve seen a clear increase in cars being broken into and stolen from folks driveways. Porch pirates on the rise too. So very sad.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Agreed. We live in a pretty quiet area with little to no crime or worry. During the last year or 2 we’ve seen a clear increase in cars being broken into and stolen from folks driveways. Porch pirates on the rise too. So very sad.

When I was a kid living in a small quite town in Central California, which has now become a war zone, we went to Alabama one Christmas. We were gone two weeks, and when we left, we forgot to lock the door. When we got home, nothing was disturbed. We are fortunate to live in a decent neighborhood now. In the fourteen years we've been here though, we have seen changes that are not for the better.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
When I was a kid living in a small quite town in Central California, which has now become a war zone, we went to Alabama one Christmas. We were gone two weeks, and when we left, we forgot to lock the door. When we got home, nothing was disturbed. We are fortunate to live in a decent neighborhood now. In the fourteen years we've been here though, we have seen changes that are not for the better.
There are areas here, you could leave your front door unlocked all the time.....the bad guys would never know. If they want in, they'll just KICK IN your back door, and be in and out in three minutes. Long before any police could show up. :(

EugeneWeemich

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I'm not sure it matters where you live. We've had 3 consecutive shootings in 3 consecutive days within half a mile of my place of employment. All injuries. No deaths. Thank goodness most of the bad guys around here can't hit the side of a barn. The one yesterday was 96 shots fired by 2 rival groups ending with 2 shooters receiving non life threatening wounds. :rolleyes:

a changing world...to me anyway.

majority of the city-wide new year's pops were from firearm discharges.

and I mean lots.

MTPoteet

Tele-Meister
We had a pretty good view of part of the operation through a vacant lot but we weren't all that close.

The police had it pretty thoroughly handled, with about 70 officers from a dozen jurisdictions. At the news conference afterwards, it was described as "without incident".

D.H.

Well that shouldn't be considered excessive.