Another Bleeping Hurricane

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ricko, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Ricko

Ricko Tele-Meister

Man, we just got over Hurricane Charley and now we're about to get hit with Francis. We had it fairly easy last time...only out of power for four days and no damage to our house. I hope we are as lucky this time, but I think it might be worse since we are closer to landfall for this one.

I think it will be an all acoustic week (if there is a chance to think about guitars). Keep a thought about us Floridians...I'm sure the Red Cross could use any help they can get.

Ricko

2. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Best of Luck

and best wishes for an uneventful Labor Day weekend.

3. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good luck and our thoughts are with Floridians

Ricko

Got "trapped" at Sanford Airport for two days thanks to Charley so our thoughts are with you.

Good luck.

Peter

4. halouis

halouis Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Best of luck all you FLA folks. be careful. be safe.

we got real lucky that Gaston didn;t go any further west. I live about 1 hr from Richmond and they got absolutely killed! We got just a few drops.

5. kerc

kerc Tele-Holic

Prayers, well-wishes, mojo for you people in Florida. As someone living smack in the middle of the Caribbean, I know how bad can hurricanes be.

:(

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

My Pals Rick and Natasha are in Naples and from what I
    understand the "footprint" of this system currently is
    over 400 miles WIDE !!!! That's like a 400 mile epicenter
    making this one an F4 or worse....
    If You live in Florida get yourselves to higher ground
    and get a reserve of PLENTY of fresh water and a lot of
    Peanut Butter....
    If the NWS is right and this thing's as BAD as they say
    Florida could go more than a week without services.
    Like The Boy Scouts say "BE PREPARED" this one looks
    like a real humdinger.

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

I just returned from Deland

not too far from you! I was amazed by all the downed trees and other debris. My friend's house was spared from Charley but I'm seriously worried w/ Frances. This one appears to be real bad. Forget the property, I'm worried about loss of life. Actually, good luck to all of us on the East Coast! You never know where these things will actually land. I drove my family back home during the remanents of Gaston - I-95 was closed through Richmond which got dumped on w/ 11" of rain. Stay Safe!

BTW, I noticed we're both at the terminus points for the Autotrain, I'm just at the northern end in beautiful Lorton, former home of the DC prison.

8. lobotomyactivist

lobotomyactivist Tele-Afflicted

yeah man

I was going on vacation to Captiva on August 15th. problem was, the hotel wasn't quite...there...

anyway, good luck! 'canes suck.

9. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Re: yeah man

Your hotel was there on 5th August! I know because I was there. :eek:

Sadly the house we rented just across the Bay was wrecked by Charley too. :cry:

H'canes really do suck!!

Anyway, not to be put off, we're back next year. Marco Island again. Good fishing in Marco! :D

Good luck Floridians.

Peter

10. trag-o-caster

trag-o-caster R.I.P.

Prayers for all of you people. I'm watching the Weather Channel right now. Here's hoping that thing takes a northerly turn and misses everyone!

Be prepared! Be safe!

11. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

We're packing, getting ready to go.

When we moved here a year ago, my wife and I agreed that we would leave whenever a hurricane threatened to come anywhere near us. For Hurricane Charley, we left early and went to Palm Beach. On the way home we drove through Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte. The devastation was absolutely amazing! Even though the eye of the hurricane passed 30 miles to the south, there was no damage at all to our house.

Right now, my wife is packing up everything breakable in the house. We've taken all the pictures off the walls, and moved all the yard furniture inside. I've packed all my guitars inside the Jag, which will stay in the garage. My computer will go in there tomorrow morning, just before we leave. I can't think of a more secure place to put these things. It's kind of like putting them in a vault.
    By the way, I just figured out that an X-Type might be a very nice car for a gigging musician. The trunk is huge, and the back seat folds down. I've got ten guitars, a mandolin and a uke in there right now. Someone with a small amp and a couple of guitars would have no problem, and they'd be riding to the gig in style.

We're heading to Tallahassee, which is just as likely to get hit as Sarasota. We've got a hotel room for 3 nights, but if it looks like the hurricane might head there we'll hit the road headed north or west. I figure that being 7 hours farther north of Sarasota gives us more options.

We'll be fine.

12. DMRoller

DMRoller Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yeah, 10 to 14 inches of rain in 4 hours. I live 30 minutes north of halouis and we did luck out. Don't know about this one yet.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the folks in the path.

Dale

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.