Another Beware of Guitar Center Tale

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by deytookerjaabs, Dec 12, 2019.

1. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I heard that same 60% line from Cool Springs TN. They're just angry that they have to work at all:mad: they want to take it out on you.

Wildcard_35 and deytookerjaabs like this.
  2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

It was just that specific guitar. A less common reissue year, I saw one pop up online and could not resist taking a look.

The missus says Carter's Vintage "Needs to stay out of your life."

That Cal Webway likes this.
  3. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Your in Nashville? You might try Gruhn’s or Carter’s Vintage.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Are the nine stores more expensive when buying?....and low-ball when offering to trade?

5. deytookerjaabs

Yep, but I get 60% or 2/3'rds trade ins once in a while when the original used value is fair market. They valued my guitar at conservative 66% of fair market then offered 60% on that!!

nojazzhere and OldDude2 like this.
  6. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I'm guilty of the going to the big box store too and I avoid downtown.

7. deytookerjaabs

The Nashville upcharge applies to most every shop in town, including GC on all used/vintage stuff. Then add 10% sales tax! The only shops that aren't above market are the used pedal place, Nashville Used Music and sometimes the pawn shop. But, that's a very limited selection.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I think that generalizing the situation to any "shop" can be a mistake. It really has more to do with the person that you are trying to deal with. Some of the guys know their stuff, others do not.
    We are lucky here in Charlotte to have a guy that actually knows vintage instruments and seems to have a good working knowledge of recent Fender (as well as Gibson and Gretsch) offerings.
    That is the guy I go looking for.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I think I've sparred with the guy a few times. I took a Burgundy PR in "his" custom room to check it out when the battle of the idiots was raging. He tried to push me into 57 custom, but guess which one came out a clear winner:D He had to listen to me bash his little world about how it wasted 30 minutes of my life...I haven't gone back.

Good Luck - Just Keep Her

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  10. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

We've got 3 GCs within driving distance.

All the local specialty shops are cheaper on everything.

The days of GC having any discount prices are long gone....

Hiker likes this.
  11. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I have an acoustic guy at Cool Spings that treats me right, but I've got my avatar:)

12. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sucks you had a bad experience with a know-it-all who clearly didn’t know-it-all.
    I go to GC about once a month. I think there are 7 of them within an hour of me. I’ve been to them all. I don’t remember having a bad experience.

Hiker and dented like this.
  13. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

The last time I was at a GC was the one at Rivergate mall. That's been a year ago. The girl I talked to didn't know where the strings were. I went over to Sam Ash.

14. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No GC for me here in PRVI, but I do work retail. One of the first things I teach my staff is that the answer is never “I don’t know.” Instead, it’s “let me find out.” Never, ever, is it to pretend to know. Disclaimer: in retail, the level of hiring ensures that most of my staff don’t know a lot, which makes this a real challenge.

stormsedge likes this.
  15. deytookerjaabs

I lived in Chicago most of my life.

Dumbest GC experience even rivaling this one:

I bought a "synthesizer" online. $500 used. Only, when it arrived it wasn't the synthesizer, it was an empty box controller for software program that looked like the synth, aka a "USB Controller." It's something that's about $100 new that you plug into your USB port to control software. It was mind boggling that they made such a stupid mistake in the first place. They look similar, but the USB controller doesn't make any noise, lol.

It gets worse. I walk into the Arlington Heights (cause I knew they had a big synth/keyboard section so someone there would have a clue) Guitar Center to return it. I tell the employee what's going on. He proceeds to tell me "No man, that's not how it works, I'll show you how."

After about an hour of waiting for him going back & forth he finally agrees to "demo the synthesizer" for me.

He soon realizes it only has a USB port, like I explained, so he stupidly assumes it gets USB power to operate stand a lone as if it's a cell phone. After about 10 minutes trying to plug it into a keyboard amplifier he asks me:

"So, this thing just plugs into a computer??" I mean, I showed him pics of the USB controller online with my phone for crying out loud.

Huge waste of an hour & thirty minutes. How they screwed up so big in the first place I don't even understand as they're supposed to check function then this guy wasting my time while he plays expert was the icing on the cake!

blueruins likes this.
  16. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Sometimes Guitar Center employees lack of knowledge works in your favor. I found a Vintage 47 amp in perfect condition, with NOS tubes someone had put in, at my local one for $300. They rang me up, and then a manager walked over and said it should not have been priced that low. Shame, since I already paid for it

Fiesta Red and deytookerjaabs like this.
  17. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This - repeats my experience w/ a (admittedly) low-end wireless unit.
    Attempting to return, it was a long song & dance.
    OP's right, though an under-informed person coming in to sell used gear" as pitched in the ad, may get hosed by an under-informed or predatory GC staffer.
    My solution: when I'm surfing on the edges of my own knowledge, I
    1/ Don't rely on GC expertise for advice and
    2/ Do bring a responsible adult (aka informed person) along

Peace - Deeve

deytookerjaabs likes this.
  18. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

I told some guy at the local GC I might be interested if they got a '60's Gibson Hummingbird in on trade. A few months later I get a call from GC: "Hey, we have a nice '66 Hummingbird!"

So I go down there and check it out; nice, but it's been refinished. Kid says "No, thats the original finish." I pointed out where they had taped off the binding during the refinish and the red stain bled into the white binding. Kid says "It came from the factory that way." I informed him that no guitar would have ever left the Gibson factory in 1966 in that condition. What a waste of my time on a perfectly good day.

Nonetheless, there are some good deals to be had there on many things...just don't expect any guitar experts and trust your own best judgment.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My last visit to GC (first in MANY years) was both good and bad. I had ordered some picks online, and went to the store to "pick" them up. I walked up to a counter, and the guy behind it was on the phone.....OK....I waited patiently. As I overheard the conversation, it was obviously a personal call. The guy studiously avoided meeting my gaze, and made no effort to end his conversation. Finally, another employee walked by, and I intercepted him and told him what I needed. He immediately got my name, checked some list as to where my stuff was, ran back to a stockroom, quickly brought it out, thanked me like I had just bought a new Les Paul, and got me on my way. If I ever go back there (not likely) I now know who to go to.

20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

GC has served me well, but you've got to know what you want, know what you have, and know what values apply to what you're buying and what you're trading in. In such a case, GC can likely meet your needs pretty well. And, their very liberal return policy is a great safety valve, when going into a purchase.

I've bought a lot of guitars (mostly ordered them in) and some other instruments and equipment from GC, traded in a number of guitars, and always have come out fine. You just need to approach them knowing your stuff, and with a plan. Don't look to GC for guidance or advice, look to them as a merchandiser to carry out your plan.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.