Another 1482 Silvertone

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jsnwhite619, Oct 23, 2019.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

This one came to me from a friend who got it for free. He said the light turns on, but no sound at all. Somebody gave it to him to do whatever with. No rear panel, the glass of the phase inverter tube was literally broken in half inside the shield, and the keys broke off both 6v6s when I pulled them out. One had been super glued back on already. It already had a 3 prong cord and a cap job. Check the voltages and the B+ is supposed to be 360v. It was 460v and the next two caps were reading negative voltage... I think the 2nd in line was -120v or something?

Turns out the 2.2k dropping resistor that was supposed to be there was a whopping 20ohm resistor and was fried. Swapped it for a 2 watt 2.2k metal oxide, popped in some JJs (luckily the rectifier was still good - I don't have a 6x4 on hand) and BINGO! Everything across the board is about 2-3% over the schematic.

This one sounds better than the last one did. I'm waiting on the new tubes to come in next week for him, but he's got a great Black Keys-vibe rocker now. I don't know anything about the speaker, so if anyone here does, please share any details. It says Tour Sound.

Sound demo

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  2. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

I have had several of these, yours sounds great as it is! Original speaker would have been a Fisher or Quam 4 ohm 12 inch speaker, I can't recall which. BTW you have two output taps on the output transformer 4 and 8 ohms. Those backs seem to wander off somewhere, half of these I see those are missing. Deeper speakers would not fit with the back on either, thats a thin cabinet front to back. You can also play thru both channels for some extra grit. Plug into the instrument channel with a jumper to the mic channel and turn up both volume controls. To make that easier you can use some thick rubber bands to tie both volume knobs together so turning one turns both. Never heard of Tour Sound speakers, see if there is a manufacturer code on the basket. Now I want another one!
    Rob in Marietta

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  3. jsnwhite619

Thanks for the info! I found the code for it and it is a Fisher. You are right about the fit. It needs a 1/2" rear panel it looks like, but i held a scrap piece up to it, and the speaker is dang near touching it.

While I had it opened up, I thought about adding a bypass cap to one channel, but I don't think I am now. That recording was all done with a Tele, and the pickups are all set to factory spec or lower, and it was plenty of dirt and overdrive as is. This thing is in great shape all around. I glued some tolex down in a few spots, but not much. Inside was clean, just a little dust.

Looking at the schematic and comparing it to a 5e3, it looks like the 1482 has 2.2k bias resistors vs Fender 1.5k, and they used 330k resistors in places where Fender was using 100k and 220k. Preamp voltages are all much lower, although the power section voltage points are all pretty comparable to a 5e3. Using the chart on Rob's site for the Deluxe, where V1 has 138v and 1.9v, the Silvertone has 113v and 0.9v.

4. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Why do people hate Silvertone? They say those amps were always junk? They sound good to me. And Danelectro made them.

5. Robster

Robster Tele-Afflicted

I guess you found that the tremelo on these things is really good too!
    If that was a Tele with no pedal you may want to do some resistor checks, they used the cheapest and they drift.
    You should have more clean headroom on that amp than you do. Or if it sounds good to you just use it.
    Hmmm, is that speaker 8 ohms? Might be hooked to the 4 ohm tap..Could be making a difference.

6. jsnwhite619

I had the amp volume & tone both around 7 on the dial for that. The bias resistor measured 280R vs spec 270R.

7. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Nice! This has long been on my "craigslist find" wish list. I've seen one or two pop up in the last couple of years, but never at a good enough price to make me bite. I've got a 1484 that someone separated from the cabinet and its pretty sweet but I don't ever play it because it needs a cap job and I've been putting that off. Maybe this will inspire me to finally get around to refurbishing it...

8. jsnwhite619

I recapped a 1483 this spring - I think it may be closer to a 6L6 version of the 1482 - and it actually had some really great, Fendery clean tones through a Legend 1258. This particular 1482 for the post had been recapped and they worked around the original terminal strips. The one I did before, I made a dynamite bundle of caps and ran leads to where the needed to go. Nobody makes a cap can that fits these. I don't know what the 1484 sounds like, but it's probably worth doing the cap job and getting the most out of it.

9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

first time i've heard that about silvertone but i agree with you that they sound great.

i have a 1482 also that i recapped and it sounds really great. also had back panel missing so i made one but determined i liked it better with the panel off. great tremolo.

play music!

jsnwhite619 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.