Another “Talk me down” thread (VOX MV50 content)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Sep 6, 2021.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Far be it from me to talk a fool from parting with his money, (;)) but my only experience with Vox modeling amps wasn't great. Before I even knew about the Pathfinder 15Rs, I had a Vox VT20+. Supposedly 30 watts into an 8" speaker. Unlike the head you're suggesting, which is only one dedicated model (AC30) mine had a bunch of models, including Vox, Fender, Marshall, etc......none of which were very good. Mine also had that 12AX7 tube feature, but it still didn't sound "tube-like". Fortunately, I discovered the PF 15R, and "found" my voice. If you want a bigger sound, try a bigger speaker for one of your PF's. You could even "line out" from a PF into a powered speaker. I have gotten restless about amps a few times, and think I want something different, (Blues Junior, ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb, etc.) and always end up realizing what I already have (PF 15R w/one 12" speaker and PF 15R w/ four 8" speakers) fit my needs AND wants perfectly. Good luck, Larry.....;)

LGOberean likes this.
  2. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Can't you use one of your combos as a cab?
    Attach the MV50 to the speaker & don't power up the combo.

3. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

I would get a Pathfinder 15R instead

LGOberean and nojazzhere like this.
  4. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

The power save mode and on/off switch is clunky and stupid

5. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

I've no hands on experience with the Boutique version, but have previously owned both the Rock and the AC versions. For me, once the honeymoon period ended the novelty kinda wore off... and I too missed having an FX loop.

( I had the matching 8" cab, which does work well (as one would hope!) with the heads, but actually I tended to "piggy-back" onto my bigger combo amps at home.)

Incidentally, the AC failed in less than a year and the guy I sold it to managed to get it replaced under warranty.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I was in the same boat after your PSA thread, only made worse when the boutique sold out and went on back order.
    Part of my dilemma was I wanted the Vox a couple of years ago then looked at the whole market which is flooded with similar products.
    Youtube was all I heard but I got the sense that some of the little Quilter amps were better for sound and also had much more adjustment. Vol gain & tone aint much for a whole guitar amp in a room mix.

I was VERY tempted by the Superblock at $250 then it went up to $275 then finally a used one was only $220 but GC had none in stock to try out first.

So last night I bought a $300 Warmoth fatback Strat neck with SS 6100 jumbo frets.
    Problem solved!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I agree. I hate those little switches. Hate 'em. But the amp is not much bigger than pedal. So I guess it's a necessary evil.

LGOberean likes this.
  8. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

My wife & I just went to a small festival yesterday. Admission didn't cost anything - I had an "Artist" lanyard. Being an "artist" we also got free beer & snacks backstage. We still managed to spend more than $100 on gas to get there, food truck food (I don't get food trucks. Mediocre and very expensive is my experience) and a few trinkets from vendors. I guess we have the trinkets to show for it, but I think I'd rather have an amp.

LGOberean and nojazzhere like this.
  9. nojazzhere

@LGOberean already has two or three PF 15Rs......and GIGS with them.;)

LGOberean likes this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

The idea to buy one is ridiculous and you should rethink your life. How do you plan to read that tiny VU meter?

THAT oughta straighten you out.

(I kind of want the clean version.)

LGOberean likes this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@dswo, I got back from lunch with the wife, and the first thing I did was do a little reading about the Silk Drive. Like I said before, I'm not a pedal guy; the only pedal I have is a BOSS ME-70 multi-fx I bought in 2010, being open to it either being a gateway drug, er...uh...pedal to other pedals, or else the only one I'd ever need. The former scenario never happened, and honestly, I don't plug into it all that often, even at home, and I can still count on my two hands the number of times I've taken it out to a gig.

So I was aware that VOX had this new series of pedals out, but honestly didn't know the name of the series or the models. I've since looked it up and did some reading about it, and I also watched 2-3 videos demoing the Silk Drive. But what I came to was what DrBGood has already said, that I couldn't do a cab option with that, I could only go direct. And I can go direct from an MV50 head to my PA, as well as the cab option. Yeah, the pedal has a better tone stack, like you said, but I'm not much for twirling knobs at a gig. On my guitars, yes, but amps, not so much. And my go-to amp--the VOX Pathfinder 15R--has just Bass and Treble, so I'm used to simple. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll stay focused on the MV50.

Oh, and @DrBGood I do like 'verb and trem, and occasionally delay, so if I pull the trigger on this MV50 Boutique, I was planning on trying that tone tip of putting my BOSS ME-70 after the line out from the MV50, before the powered speaker.

Who you callin' "fool," Gil?!? :twisted:

Well, you know I'm a Pathfinder guy, too. It is my amp voice of choice. I do indeed line out from the rear panel of the 15R to my powered speaker/PA at gigs. I did that this past Saturday at my pick up gig, in fact, and notice even in the moment how good it sounded to me. Also, I have considered before the idea of a 1x12" cab.

That said, my one guitar with humbuckers just doesn't sound as good through my 15Rs as my teles do. (Maybe it's the brand of 'buckers, or maybe it's just that I am a single coil guy.) So I've often thought about having a different amp voice in my amp arsenal. I used to have a 1984 Peavey Bandit 65, which had very nice, beefy cleans and usable drive tones, though I played and still play mostly clean. But irony or ironies, my Bandit was stolen. So I could use another amp for a different voice than VOX AC tones.

DrBGood and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The MSB I bought was a special at Guitar Center for Memorial Day or Labor Day three or four years ago with an extra 20% off coupon. I had been waiting for the British Flag version anyway and jumped on it. It’s a great looking little amp to own and that’s the only time I saw it for sale anywhere.

LGOberean likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

You said, "So I could use another amp for a different voice than VOX AC tones."......but isn't the MV50 ONLY a modeler for AC30 tones?

LGOberean likes this.
  14. LGOberean

TD, what Gil said.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. LGOberean

Huh? I don't think of the MV50 line of amp heads as modelers, but as different models with different voicings, i.e., AC, Boutique, Clean, Rock, Hi Gain. Am I wrong about that?

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

Maybe I misunderstood......they don't say it's a modeler, but they talk about it replicating one particular sound, an AC30. I guess I was imagining something like the Fender Tone Master series, which ARE modelers, just not "multi modelers".....or can you select different "voicings" on the MV50? I'm probably just confused. ;)

17. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

"Modeler" often refers to digital modeling, like "newer" Roland Cubes, Vox VT series, Fender Mustang etc.
    I have been looking at the Vox Mv50 AC myself and everywhere I look, Vox points to the MV series being analog. I wouldn't call them modelers.

nojazzhere, PhredE and LGOberean like this.
  18. LGOberean

Okay, I see where you're coming from, Gil. And thanks for that input, Jb&T. I guess I'll go with them being analog unless I hear a definitive answer to the contrary.

BTW, y'all, I done did pull the trigger on this amp head my own self. And I did so locally, so I already have my head in hand, so to speak. :rolleyes:

I just this moment quit playing it to report in. Shortly I will create yet another new thread for this NAD.

telemnemonics, nojazzhere and PhredE like this.
  19. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Afflicted

Hope it works, because in front any pedal reacts to the gain knob as if it was the pedal's own effect level. It doesn't really work that well.

LGOberean likes this.
  20. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.