Annual Hummingbird Report!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Jun 24, 2019.

1. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We have a feeder on one end of the lanai, and a bottlebrush tree on the other end. We get tons of the little folks. Mostly the iridescent green variety. They can be very aggressive with other birds, at least around here. We have them pretty much year 'round.

Stringbanger likes this.
  2. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

One large and three smaller feeders. We are refilling every other day for the iridescent green and the red throated varieties.

Stringbanger likes this.
  3. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ours showed up about a month ago, which I thought was a little early. We put fresh water out about every week or 10 days and we've got a few steady customers.

Stringbanger likes this.
  4. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

We constantly have 5 to 15 hummingbirds at our feeders at any given moment. They are constantly buzzing around our house. We have both Black Chinned, Broad Tail and the Rufous will be around later in the year.

Stringbanger likes this.
  5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Only when the formula starts to get old does it attract bugs and bees. A quick spray down on the feeder with a hose can solve that problem too.

6. Stringbanger

I’m trying. Too busy working on the front porch. Feeders are all toward the back patio. I’ll set my tripod up soon.

7. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I do the weekly water change but we haven’t had hardly any traffic this year. We might see one or two a day if that. I need to put out the bath for them. See if that works. Don’t know what the flowers are but they have yet to flower. When they do the bees come and then we get hummer traffic.

Stringbanger likes this.
  8. Stringbanger

S-hooks are your friends! I have been doing this hummingbird thing for 20+ years, and you learn these little tricks as you go.

Hang your cord/rope from an eye hook, tree limb, etc. Tie an S-hook to the end of the cord. Then attach a wire or zip tie to the bottom end of the S-hook, and you are able to remove feeders quickly and easily for refilling/cleaning.

C96FC6C6-EF88-461F-9F7D-94008BF80D98.jpeg FE5CB028-A8CF-4EC8-B8F4-5E956C9AF3FE.jpeg 58CE094B-A7D4-43A3-8EEC-453AAE3B8371.jpeg E93A1FD4-D5CB-457A-9F0B-8CEA57151086.jpeg

9. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I've been using one of these for years, the h-birds love it and no problem with bugs getting in. I change the fluid twice a week.

[​IMG]

stratoman1 and Stringbanger like this.
  10. Stringbanger

Keeping your hummingbird solution fresh is critical at the end of the season too. These little birds need fresh stuff to give them energy for their long migration.

My record for seeing the last one is September 22nd. That was two years ago. The previous record was September 18th. I know everyone’s will be different depending on your locale.

11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

This is from last year. I think it's probably the same bird this year but I don't see it as often. Last year it seemed like it had a timetable. I'm thinking there's only about a month left before it heads south

FB_IMG_1534503196314.jpg

Stringbanger likes this.
  12. Stringbanger

I’m thinking I still have 5-6, or maybe more. Still dive-bombing each other, despite me having 5 feeders. Great fun to watch!

stratoman1 likes this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

They are entertaining. I think they watch us as much as we watch them. I was hoping to see more though. There's got to be more than one here. I'm in a 144 unit complex, I've seen a hummer at one of the other units and there are a couple feeders out. I dont think one bird can cover them all

Stringbanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.