Anniversary of a machine that changed my life.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jan 24, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

He's not the only one, every IT shop I've worked in (4 different companies in , I dunno, over two decades now, and all in your current geographical area, too) has been PC/Windows everything only

Outside of the department oncall iPhone where I'm currently at, that is

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    naneek likes this.
  2. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

I wonder how many people were put out of employment after it entered the commerce world?

Must be a stat on that somewhere.

As a kid I worked part time on Wall Street.
    Everything was desk jockeys shuffling papers all day.
    You could actually quit a job in the a.m. and find a new one by 4 p.m.

My very last job was a PT Hospital job.
    Made friends with an old guy that worked Security.
    At his dais he was noodling fantastic art work just drawing pics of people he found in his newspaper.
    Very talented.
    Said he used to be a commercial artist.
    Couldn't adapt to computers, got laid off.

So, back to Wall Street.
    At lunchtime you could not walk down Broadway without bumping shoulders all the way down to the Whitehall Street.
    Went back a few years ago.

A friggin' ghost town.
    Most of the office buildings were condos.

When do the DJs start winning Grammys or has that been done already?

Computers.
    A blessing or a curse?

blowtorch likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Both.
    A huge boon and a huge blight, equally.
    Neil Postman was a prophet
    [​IMG]

4. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Great story. When I saw the title, I did some quick rough calculations and was afraid this was going to be a post about the Ibanez TS808 or Roland TR-808 drum machine. Phew.

imwjl likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Anyone involved in high-tech hardware/software development understands that "planned obsolescence" is a misnomer at best, misleading and basically full of crap. The speed and advancement of both hardware and software plus taking advantage of larger and less expensive memory in a very competitive industry creates "state of the art" advancements that are sometimes actually "old" by the time the public get their hands on them. Huge investments in software engineering by both hardware and software companies is required to keep products from becoming obsolete as long as possible. So, what is typically thought if as "planned obsolescence" in the high-tech industry is fundamentally the opposite of what the industry is trying to do ... at least by the major players.

From one who worked in engineering within the industry for a long time.

6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use Mac because I don't want to learn anything about how and why it does what it does, I just want it to do it. When I've tried using PC, I'm told "no, you just have to do this, then this, then..." No. I'm like my wife is with cars. Most of mine used to require a tutorial to drive, and she wanted nothing to do with that.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Big A, especially its blatant efforts to stop anyone who attempts to repair their products, but I gotta be me.

Frodebro and tintag27 like this.
  7. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Sorry, but I can't get by the no right-click thing. However, I'm a big fan and owner of all their other devices that don't require a mouse :)

8. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

my early computer experience was with ibm mainframes 360 and 370 era.my little laptop would kick their asses.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm writing this on my 2007 20'' iMac. Despite only having 4Gb RAM, I have used it (and still do) with high-end, processor-intensive applications like Photoshop, LightRoom, Illustrator, Cinema 4D (my 3D programme) and of course have used it to write a lot of music in GarageBand...
    It died once; diagnostics declared it un-fixable, so I got another one. But two years later, it was either 'throw it out - or have a last go at it'...
    I had a last go at, and amazingly got it working - and it's still working hard over 4 years later!
    I saw the potential, working at a design agency when they started to be used in the graphics business. None of the management were interested, so I put myself through evening classes to learn Illustrator and QuarkExpress - and never looked back. Just bought a new iMac (2008, this one!)
    Yes, Apple changed my life - for the better.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you can buy a third party mouse with right click and it works just dandy.... plug in your pc mouse and see!

tintag27 likes this.
  11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My seduction into the Apple ecosystem occurred when I was in college. For part of the electronics curriculum we had to learn our way around MS-DOS on the latest 386s the school had. I was also on the newspaper staff, and everything there was done on Apples. I was hooked from that point on.

tintag27 and Obsessed like this.
  12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I started with an '05 Macbook Pro, after giving up on Windows around the release of Windows 97. I had been developing for Solaris and HP-UX, and then more and more, Linux. I'd been running Linux at home, too, but as I was a developer, not admin, was frustrated supporting a Linux desktop environment for my family who didn't give a hoot about any of that, and just wanted something they could easily use for consumer tasks. We bought a Mac for my son, heading off to school, and my wife used it for a while before he left. Got hooked. Looked at me like I'd betrayed her, keeping such an easy-to-use computer a secret.

Not long after, I gave up and bought one for myself. If they hadn't adopted a variant of the *nix operating systems, I'd not have been interested, but as it was, I could squint, and do just about anything I wanted, as if it was my preferred Linux. Except lots of desktop stuff was easier.

Now, I'm typing this on an iMac, which I use for browsing, cloud access (Evernote, Google Drive - guitar photos anyone?), and a few other consumer type things. Sketchup for workshop plans. But then I have several desktops dedicated to ssh windows into my Linux environment, which is still where I spend a bit of time, even though I retired from developing for a living back in '07.

I bristle against much of the consumeritis built in, like iTunes, and I don't appreciate having to use a third party desktop manager to get some reasonable navigation, on an OS that's supposed to be good at that. I sense my patience is nearing the end, and then I look at all the Linux distros out there tailored to desktop use, and I shudder at the process. That's the thing I hated about it before, so many choices, with all the integration issues that implies. I use CentOS on the server side, but not so much for a windowing environment...

Maybe I'm just getting old... get off my lawn :lol:

naneek and tintag27 like this.
  13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Aw, come on guys!!! You know you wanna go back to C:// DOS.

I was an elementary school teacher when the assistant principal plopped an apple II on a table in my classroom and said, "We just got a lab full of these delivered and no one knows how to use them". That was back when software came on sets of small diskettes (a big step up from floppy discs). The GUI truly revolutionized common folks being able to compute. Unfortunately, most of Apple's changes in the last decade have made their hardware and software less usable and non user-upgradable. And they've abandoned their best products (iWorks, airport extreme, iPhoto) It's a juggling act to keep an older iMac running smoothly so I can still use older apps. … and now they've started with the update hell that makes Windows so much fun to use. Oh well,

14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Ultimately I don't think they've been good for us. Yes, I recognize the convenience and the ability to do things we couldn't before, but I think they've led to more problems and issues than solutions. That's just my opinion and this isn't the platform to discuss it, but, while not the work of the devil, I don't think they have been as innocuous as people think. And I'm not joking.

OldDude2 likes this.
  15. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I started on the IBM 8086 architecture, played on Apples n Commodores, wrote software for Pcs n Macs, and focused on PCs in the mid nineties. I've been trapped ever since, but now it's code and databases. I know what idjster is saying and my body feels it.

Anyone that's ever sat in the chair ...

16. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Your phone would kick their arses.

But don't you miss working at a 3278 terminal?

17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I was in grad school, living in a dorm, and one of the other grad students who was a compsi major got one of the first macs. It was astonishing. I'd been typing on a machine that let you erase I think 28 characters back. Some people had kaypros, but the command line interface just looked way too daunting. I was having a hard enough time remembering the stuff I was studying. The mac was a revelation: i don't have to learn anything: it's all obvious. I took out a loan to get one

It just made everything easier. Intuitive. I remember my brother making fun of the mac and "all your little pictures" of trash cans and file folders. A year or so later he had the first windows GUI installed.

All the criticism of Apple are reasonable, and Jobs did lifted the whole idea of the GUI from Xerox PARC. But it's worth remembering what a revelation it was.

We still have a Mac 512Ke up in the attic, with its traveling case. I keep thinking I should do something with it, but what?

18. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

The standard apple mouse does have right click. And scroll. And swipe, and pinch, rotate, zoom... a heck of a lot more control than a basic pc mouse actually. There's no seam separating the top into left and right sides so maybe at a glance it looks like there's no left and right button but the surface of the mouse is like the touch screen on your phone or iPad. It knows where your fingers are and what you're asking for without needing a seam down the top.

Modman68 likes this.
  19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

yup. But for someone who says 'If I just had this' I like to offer precisely that. Any mitigation and they say 'see, it isn't precisely what I asked for'....

20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Things are changing and especially with premium computers from first tier players priced quite alike. Also changing because of web-based applications, thin client, virtualization or if not web-based the Office 365 state of Mac and Windows identical or close.

Mobile is so important for some of us that "continuity" and "handoff" features are why many choose a Mac. To mess with that, features or utilities that explained why I used Linux or UNIX are in Windows 10 now.

For @Obsessed comment. People also watch costs and function to slow new purchases. Then compliance and security come into play.

The now world many are in or entering is everything just network, storage and compute. Nutanix and vSAN for examples.

For @elpico and @getbent I give people a quick view of the OS gestures they might not know and I also provision two series of Logitech mice that are very nice whether it's a Mac or Windows user. The basic and higher end version of those are just plain great when I'm in some spreadsheet stuff or manual text cleanup.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.