Anheuser-Busch Accuses Miller Coors...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I can't stand IPAs. I don't drink much beer, on average no more than one or two per week. I only drink Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery or Sam Adams Boston Laager and Octoberfest.

2. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Title sounds like 'Kramer vs Kramer'.

Torren61 likes this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Not a a Heineken or a real beer within the bunch. Sorry, but I can’t get onboard with this swill

4. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Two full disclosure facts:

(1) I haven’t had a drink in 21 years. There’s a lot of newer beers I’ve never tried (and don’t plan of trying)...I’m happily sober and hope to stay that way.
    (2) My father retired from the Miller Brewing Company. I tended toward their products, to pay back the corporation that fed and sheltered me throughout my childhood.

Having said that, I liked beer, when I drank...all kinds of beer. My favorite everyday beers were Miller Lite and Coors on tap...the occasional Bud on tap was ok, too.

I preferred lighter, less robust beers, but I would take on the occasional stout or heavy lager—and enjoyed some of them, too.
    I thought IPAs were disgusting.
    As for “exotic” beers, I’d go with a Mexican beer over a Euro formula (except Corona, which is truly a disappointment when it hits the tongue—a product of great marketing is all it is).

I have a friend who is a total coffee snob. He’s taught me how to “properly” make coffee, and taught me the properties of a “better” coffee...but when I get up at 4:00AM to go to work, I don’t have the time or mental capacity to craft a cup from beans grown and picked by virgin eunuchs in a low-oxygen environment...I use Folgers.

So maybe I don’t have the most sophisticated palate...but I like what I like, and there’s no reason to “piss” on those of us who like (or in my case, liked) the mass-produced, less-sophisticated beverages.

rcole_sooner and REWTX like this.
  5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

We have this old saying in Canada :
    What does American beer and a couple making love on a boat have in common?

They are both ****ing close to water.

But I hear you guys now actually have good beer.

stevemc likes this.
  6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I love BB Porter but cannot get it here [yet]. Deschutes Brewing is in a long, drawn out process of building a brewery in Roanoke, VA. I drink Anchor Steam Porter as a close substitute.

When you tried an IPA, did you allow it to warm up to cellar temperature to take the bitter out (about 52F or "rodeo cool") or drink it like American industrial beer in the 34-38F range?

It makes a big difference to warm it up and take the bitter out. Beer is ancient but refrigeration is relatively new, and it was not historically brewed with refrigeration in mind and that variable affects the formulation and the outcome. Beer was historically kept in an underground cellar.

Properly served, it is harder to find a beer with more more body and taste than a Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA, and it is actually quite smooth compared to drinking one at low temps.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The volume of craft brews and quality is probably at historic records.

The problem is that not all of it is accessible all across the country. For example, neither Deschutes Brewing of OR or O'Dell's of CO have distribution in GA. Boulevard of KS does, but not for its entire line, and most of the Boulevard brews I like best are not available in GA (which is apparently the result of market based decisions by the distributor and brewery).

The 21st amendment allows states and local govts a lot of power to regulate alcohol distribution and sales that creates a lot of oddities and local black holes.

8. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Touché...and Québec has arguably the best brasserie on the planet down in Chambly. :cool:

9. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Nailed it, right there.

"Hey, theirs tastes like gnat's pish too, they must've stole it off us!"

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

10. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Except that he can't have done a very good job of copying it, unless the recipe changed over the years...?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

actually there are probably very accurate clone recipes floating around for all of those beers.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

How do you know that he did a poor job of copying it ? Have you tasted both ?

13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Just tried AB's Discovery Reserve. Its supposed to be a re-make of their 1960's Budweiser recipe. I had high hopes. Its ok, but it does not resemble what I remember from the 1970's. I've noticed a somewhat radical change in domestic beer in the last decades, and would welcome a retro faithful rendition of many of the 1970's and 1980's offerings - Bud long necks, High Life, Hamm's, Schlitz, Erlanger, Pearl, Sterling, Strohs, Old Style, PBR, Banquet Beer - we loved downing multiple quantities of all those. None of them resemble their former flavor profile though. I can tell you, when I listen to the more obscure cuts from VHI/II or The Wall, I can almost taste a vintage Strohs.

DekeDog likes this.
  14. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Believe it or not, the Schlitz old style is pretty good.

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty much all the big corporate brews have moved from all malt to a significant percentage of rice. Much cheaper.

Not sure it’s still true but Molsons Old Stock was supposedly still all malt when the rest of their line all had rice.

But now you can’t swing a whatever without hitting a microbrewery around here. Of varying quality. For a while it seemed to be a race to make the hoppiest IPA and/or the sourest, funkiest Brew. A proper brown or porter are few and far between. Still.

I will say of the big corporate brews, they can be refreshing very cold on a hot summer day. And, making a consistent product on that scale when you’re dealing with an ever changing ingredient that is yeast is quite impressive.

Cheers,
    Geoff

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

using rice and corn happened a looooong time ago.

17. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

The beer snobbery is strong in this one. I can truely say i have never refused a free beer due to brand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.