1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Angel's Share; American Beauty Demos/Outtakes

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Texicaster, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Howdy!

I finally got around to downloading this and OH MAN! What a treasure! Incredible sound quality of the Dead working these tunes for American Beauty live in studio!

There's about 20 Friend of the Devil cuts and you'd think that would get boring but are super cool! Some false starts but lots of cool experiments. Drums are recorded better than any Dead release! Phils bass is loud and clear as well as the rest of the band!

Maybe you have to be a Dead Head to dig it; maybe not. All I know it features the Dead at the height of their powers just easing through their best material!

In typical Dead fashion they blew it and it's only available as a download instead of included in the deluxe 50 year anniversary that only includes yet another live show instead. I was really hoping for a well documented version of American Beauty but this'll do!

Dig it!

https://americanbeauty50.dead.net/p...9_kGjn_7CBrhCo39ogiQRabyGiUMgbgHFMhmvPZ9efNwM

2. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

How did you feel about the Angel’s Share of WMD that came out earlier this year? The show with the 50th Anniversary was nice, although I now have 3 copies of WMD, each with different bonus material.
    I have American Beauty on pre-order but was thinking about grabbing the Angel’s Share of both albums

Texicaster likes this.
  3. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks for posting. Not a huge deadhead, but that album is a masterpiece.

BTW, both the new releases are on Spotify.

Texicaster likes this.
  4. Texicaster

It was really good too but I like this one MUCH more! This one starts with full live in studio demos for most of the songs then goes into some alternate takes, shorter versions and jams. WMD seemed more of the latter.

I gotta say the sound quality of this seems much better than the WMD Angel's Share!

Real bummer Box Of Rain is only one acoustic cut! That would have been real cool fly on the wall listen!

I'll get the 50th but like you have several copies already. I can't see how they'll improve over that last mix!

scook likes this.
  5. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Went over to youtube to see if there were any tracks from it so I could give it a listen....sure enough:

Jakedog and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  6. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think the Workingman Angel is better, but Beauty is also real nice! The real reason to get the 50th version of for the full show.

scook likes this.
  7. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Thanks. The lyrics never did anything for me but the song is soothing and enjoyable nonetheless. I'm not very familiar with the Dead (past the dozen or so radio songs). Who's singing the harmony on the demo? It really makes the song.

8. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

I love it. The podcast has been fantastic. I now get all of my music via Spotify and Sirius until I drop that.

9. Texicaster

WMD is rougher IMO.

Doesn't have the sound quality the AB does to my ear.

It's amazing how well it sounds! I've heard a LOT of acoustic sets from the era and they are pretty much all terrible! Cool for what they are but never recorded very well and they never got the vocals quite right live. Even though the demos have plenty of flawed harmonies they have a very cool laid back authenticity whereas live sound forced...

10. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It may sound better, but WMD gives you a break down for each track, and listen to Jer’s voice on the Black Peter! Both are essential for me.

11. Brillig

Brillig TDPRI Member

To my ear it sounds like the harmony above is Phil, and Bobby is searching around trying to find the lower harmony.

GGardner likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    I love Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty.
    I’m a dilettante Dead fan, but I wore those two records out when I was in high school.
    Thanks for the “heads up”.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.