Andy Summers hardware store bender

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Greg M, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

2. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Well, one part wasn't from the hardware store: the string hub which I bought from Bill Bores. But I'll be able to make a substitute if I ever do another one.

3. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

Awesome! Great job, man!

4. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice bit of engineering GM. And a real nice looking tele!

5. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

Awesome setup dude!

6. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

How about a parts list for us wannabee craftsmen.

7. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Hey Greg........

What's the mini toggle on the control plate and the knob below the control plate's function(s). I see the cover on the back so I know you've got something going on there.........Thanks, JH in Va.

8. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

There is a little boost circuit called the Stratoblaster which was created by Alembic some years ago. I think Jerry Garcia had either that or something similar in his Tiger guitar. I can't remember which layout I used, maybe the one at http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/content/view/64/26/, but there are many to be found just by searching stratoblaster.

There is a booster in the Fender Andy Summers model which is very similar to the Eric Clapton boost. There is a discussion here that might interest you: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-164342.html. It would be cheaper to make one like I did (that's why I did it:D) if you have any soldering prowess.

9. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Okay, let me see. Starting at the strap button:

-Dunlop strap lock button
    -bolt (not sure of the size, I'll edit that in later), with the head cut off and tapped for the strap button screw
    -that bolt screws into the threaded octagonal piece that is cut off and welded to the metal spacer which is at the pivot point.
    -inside that spacer is a couple of these T nut (like C in the picture below)
    [​IMG]
    One is screwed to the body, the other is top, and there is a bolt threaded in between the two T nuts. Lining the inside of the spacer--and surrounding the bolt--is a piece of 1/4" pvc pipe.
    -the other arm on that pivot is a little piece of flat metal drilled for the arm and spring. It's also welded onto the spacer.
    -the arm that pulls the string hub is a brass colored rod from a toilet float kit
    -the spring is the stiffest one from a pack I bought at Advanced Auto.
    -the rectangular metal piece that is bolted to the string hub is a piece of road sign.
    -and like I said, the hub was bought from Bill Bores.

I can get a little more specific on sizes and such later if anyone wants. I just can't remember what size or even what some of these things were called. I generally just went to the local hardware store or Lowe's and looked for what I thought would work.

I routed out too much in a couple of places and drilled the string hub hole in the wrong spot too. That's why I have that big sticker back there :rolleyes:.

10. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nice job! One question though; The little yellow bumper stop thingy. I'm familiar with those, and they're kinda squishy. Wouldn't something like a nylon acorn nut be a more positive stop?

11. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Yes it would. That yellow thingy didn't last too long after playing it, but we're looking at early pics here.

And thanks for the idea on the nylon nut! That's a lot better than what I'm using now (nothing).:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.