1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Andre's CNC

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by BluesBlooded, May 13, 2015.

1. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Afflicted

tanks!
    i am currently embarking on what is the most demanding phase, finishing the finishing. being a bit compulsive, it is just about never ending going after the odd irregularity here and there. there is a principle that i am really coming to appreciate: dont save any wrinkle until the end! keep after the finish from step one and let nothing slide!

and another principle: by your finishing paper bulk so you never have to scrounge for a scrap of 2000g!

2. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Indeed!

3. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Afflicted

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1460481871.925537.jpg
    here is a better picture. almost there

4. BluesBlooded

Steve it is gorgeous! Love the dragon holes.

5. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Afflicted

thanks andre. ive been wanting to go RED for a while. Red Dragon seems like a natural.

next up (maybe): lime green flying V with car contours (like fenders). i feel some modelling coming on!

steve

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I cut out some sample pinewood derby cars from this foam and it didn't tear out.
    I set my speeds and feeds as if I were cutting wood.

7. BluesBlooded

Here are some pics of the progress made on the LP started in this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have some issues with the CNC. When I move the gantry forward after zeroing it the gantry goes crooked. It looks like something is jamming. I have not zeroed it for a while and I suspect I lost a few steps since then. The problem, is that it is on the side close to the wall. I have no way of seeing what is going on since I boxed everything in for dust collection. The plan is to revisit the shop's layout so I can access the CNC on every darn side. Lots of work ahead. I'll finish the LP then clear out everything out of the shop and work on the new layout.

guitarbuilder and Blue Bill like this.
  8. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Looking good Andre , I like the blue .
    The CNC jamming on one side of the gantry ? Hope its an easy fix .

9. BluesBlooded

Thanks Herb,

I hope it is an easy fix as well. I think that something is touching the gantry preventing it to move freely but I can't see what. The shop redo will help figure it out.

10. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Afflicted

gorgeoso!

Y, good idea moving it out. It will likely make it easier to work with too. I pretty much approach from all sides to get things done. Also have rack and pinion drive so have to have access to clean and lubricate.

steve

11. BluesBlooded

Thanks Steve, I'm sure it's gonna be a lot better when I have access all around. Right it's a pain to clean up.

12. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Beautiful blue, Andre. Hope you get the CNC straightened out soon.

13. BluesBlooded

Thanks Rick, I'm pretty sure its a trivial thing, as soon as I can see both side I should be able to fix it.

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

It's nice André but it's blue. Roger has warned us about this color choice.......

15. BluesBlooded

Thanks Rob, the problem is that this future owner (my Nephew) had is heart set on blue and I was aware of the curse only after the decision was made.

[​IMG]

Let me tell you that this curse ain't an urban legend. It seems that every bad thing that can happen is happening.

I sanded the sealer and sand through it, so I need to fix it. I ordered an air brush hoping I'm able to fix it.

Then yesterday I hit the two guitars together moving around in my spacious shop. and made this ding right in the center of the guitar one inch under the tailpiece. Couldn't chose a better spot to do this:(

[​IMG]

The question is: How do I fix this? Will the iron with humidity work on sealed wood? Do I need to sand again, iron it and then dye again? If so, how will I remove the sealer in the bottom of the crevice?

Please advise.

Thanks

16. adirondak5

Having never tried the iron trick on a sealed piece of wood I would guess it wouldn't raise dents as well as un - sealed wood, you need to get moisture in the wood . I've done it on un - sealed wood plenty of times and it does work quite well . I would try to scrape the sealer out of the bottom of the dent with a small pick or something like that and try raising it , then clean that area up and try to match stain/sealer

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    GunsOfBrixton likes this.
  17. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

If you can't get the ding fixed, just leave it. your nephew is extremely lucky to have an uncle who made him a guitar! I understand the wanting everything to be perfect mindset but it is a gift. I only build to give them away and every one I've done has some minor flaw but I can tell you none of those mattered to the people who received them. just my take on it.

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it is the steam in the wood cells that pops them upward again. I doubt the water will get down there through the finish.

19. BluesBlooded

Thanks Guys, I was expecting so. Since my clear coats are not applied should I drop fill it?

20. adirondak5

That would level it Andre , I think you would still see it , most likely nobody else would notice it .

R. Stratenstein likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.