And while we're at it, would you support the US switching to 230V/50Hz?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I think its more important to switch to 55 hz cycle power. That way the prevalent background hum and noise is a complimentary "A" pitch.

ale.istotle likes this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I have such a great joke about such things but I know it'll get deleted. :(

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

boy, I told you to stay in the TRUCK! :D:D:D:D

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Isn't western Japan using a different household voltage than eastern Japan?

BTW, last time I was in Japan, the toilets were holes in the floor and the main concern was to keep your socks clean.o_O

Torren61 likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Things have changed! In the US you can buy Japanese after market units to replace your toilet seat. My wife loved the fact that when she got up in the middle of the night, the seat was warm. I said, just let me go first and you'll get that for free.

Scooter91, Obsessed and Torren61 like this.
  6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Only if the rest of the world switches to imperial measurements.

getbent likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Well sir, usually when a guy gets a new guitar, car, or maybe even a new girlfriend, he likes to show 'em off. If he's already had a car, a new guitar, and a good looking girlfriend, well he's not likely to be goin' on about it. :D:D:D

8. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

They are also a lot larger, so they take up more space.

I do think that there are improvements to be made to US plugs - probably all of them. A locking plug would be nice and one that wouldn't conduct unless fully seated would be beneficial also.

https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

Torren61 likes this.
  9. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

Whatever! lol

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Japan uses 100V AC actually, but you can use some US stuff without a converter.

Laptops often have an automatic switching power supply, you don't need a converter anywhere, just plug adapters.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

We have it already...just not in our houses. But you can if you want to. I have two 220 receptacles outside my garage, and two inside the garage. I run my table saw off of it all the time, and a few other select items from time to time. Point being, the choice is yours. If you want it, it's already there, and you just have to set your place up for it.

Should it be the standard? Well...more like it should HAVE BEEN. But it's too late now. Getting 300 million disinterested idiots to agree on seemingly major change like that is unlikely at this point. We had perfectly affordable U.S. made gas turbine cars that exhausted water in the works 65 years ago, and just now some of us are starting to socially accept something other than gas powered cars. Change don't come easy, even if it would be better for all.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

You should research that a little more. The turbine car program was ended in 1979 because they failed to meet emissions regulations and had poor fuel economy. They were also considerably more costly to produce and required a complicated starting procedure.

13. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

Also, because of the high rpm rotating mass they tended to resist turning like a gyroscope. Not ideal in a passenger vehicle.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Princeton and a Katana. I also used to lecture in electronics.
    24--250 AC volts and a three way plug is the safest way to go. Must have that third grounding prong.

15. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Sure... let's rewire every single building in the USA, replace every single electrical device, and replace all electrical fixtures in every building... sounds like a great plan... o_O

Mike Simpson and Obsessed like this.
  16. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

Nice - bringing the discussion back to music. Careful or you'll start the A440 vs A432 debate again.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Getting four guys together to be on time to play golf with an early tee time, very difficult. Getting some friends to agree on where to have lunch even more difficult. Getting your wife to make up her mind which purse she wants to buy, almost impossible. Agreeing on wall socket voltage to save the world, IMPOSSIBLE.

Scooter91 likes this.
  18. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

We are not really concerned by that problem in France.

We have here 230V / 50Hz since the end of WWII. Guess why ? Nearly all the mains network was destroyed by war...

In 1946, electricity production and distribution was nationalized to become EDF (Electricité de France) with the cheapest and the most reliable mains supply ever.

Frequency is rock stable (1.10-3 Hz usually) an voltage is from 220 to 240V (+/-10%) at worse, no matter where you are located.

But that's old history now, "thanks to UE" : considered in a monopolistic situation, EDF had to comply and open her network to questionable distributors who do not care too much about electricity infrastructures and network maintenance, and did not have to support their original building costs.

Having an Electricity reliable service - as it was until now - will become a problem in France, I guess it...

A+!

19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I am extremely familiar with Chrysler's turbine car experiments, and you seem to miss my point.

It is not that turbine cars would have saved the world, or that they were "the answer."

The point was that alternative power sources to burning oil have been seen by engineers as potentially beneficial for a long time, but the public at large is resistant to the unfamiliar, and this is a large hurdle for any major technological change. A large part of the reason that more energy and expense was not put into alternatively powered vehicles for so long was lack of public interest due to the way they behaved on the road. No matter how promising the technology, if the public won't eat it up, it's hard to move forward. If the testers had loved them and screamed "Take my money," you can betchya the auto industry would have found a way to make it work. Only now, when we absolutely need it, is the public starting to slowly get behind the idea of a car that behaves differently than what they're used to.

Point being solely that convincing the public to make a major technological change is necessary for such a thing as a conversion to higher voltage...but not so easy to acheive.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

There's no debate. Use what you will, comply with your mates, or play solo. I play with an international celeb on occasion that likes 432. I comply. I also warn him each time that it will take a bit before I and my instrument settles down at 432. He's good with it. A bigger celeb showed up once at his studio, started the jam in 440, and we all complied without discussion - including the studio owner, heh.

ale.istotle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.