And while we're at it, would you support the US switching to 230V/50Hz?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Oct 1, 2019.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

That would solve almost all my amps problems

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

480v or whats the point

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

54/40 Or FIGHT!

corliss1 likes this.
  4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Consider just the cost of completely re-wiring your house for the highter voltage. Be a lot cheaper to replace your amp.

verb boten, GibbyTwin and nojazzhere like this.
  5. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

110/120 volts is reputedly because of carbon lamp filaments in use when US grid was built. When tungsten became available later the grid was largely built, so it stayed that way. Our homes actually receive 240 V at the service but we wire it as two separate legs to ground.

As for 60 hz the story I've heard is Nicola Tesla had OCD and wanted everything to be divisible by 3. He would stay in hotel room numbers that evenly divided by 3, etc. He was the tech guy at Westinghouse when the AC generation systems were developed, so 60 hz was used instead of 50 hz.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It actually exists in the US for washers and dryers, so some houses have it wired in with plugs and all in one room. I'm not an expert though.

I believe they don't use a European style plug. I think this.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    String Tree likes this.
  7. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

In the US our service or mains is one ground or earth, one neutral or common, two poles that are 110v to neutral, but since they are 180 degrees out of phase they are 220 v to each other. Typical house wiring is neutral and one phase to a wall outlet. When you need more power for electrical cooking, clothes drying, etc you use both poles for 220v with no common. These generally use a different outlet/plug so you don't confuse them with standard outlets.

As I understand European service it is one 220 or 240 v, one neutral or common and one ground/earth so you only have one voltage in the home.

background
    https://www.bluesea.com/support/articles/AC_Circuits/87/Differences_in_USA_and_European_AC_Panels

moosie and nojazzhere like this.
  8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

do these work with natural gas? I have some today...

FLHT likes this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

D8E4F736-EB8D-4F23-903F-51EF41B1B3BB.jpeg

JayFreddy likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I would not support this. I would, however, support a national electrical standard based on the wye system over the delta system.

If we had a national standard where ALL utilities had to construct their poles and lines in a national conformity with only climate regional differences, such as building heavier for snow zones and coastal zones, it would improve the safety factor for linemen.

Right now, MOST of the country uses the wye system over the delta system except California. When you apprentice to become a lineman, you learn how to build powerlines to a certain standard and that standard is pretty much... well... standard across the US with some exceptions like urban Detroit where they also use a delta system. There are some regional differences but they are minor and easily learned and incorporated with a lineman's prior training and knowledge. However, when you go to California to work, it's like trying to learn how to build powerlines in a different country with a completely different system.

In fact, prior to 1948, Southern California used a 50kz frequency while the rest of the country used a 60hz frequency. The voltage was the same at 120v but if you moved from SoCal to New Jersey (no sane person would), your clocks ran fast by 10 minutes every hour.

Some things worked at both 60hz and 50hz frequencies (ovens, for example) but timed devices like clocks and phonographs did not. This was a problem for industrial companies operating within that 50hz electrical grid as their equipment had to be calibrated specifically for 50hz instead of the national standard of 60hz and was more expensive.

Eventually they converted to 60hz in the mid 1940s. You could bring your clock to have it re-calibrated at no cost to you (except for higher utility rates).

I see no reason to regress.

11. radiocaster

12. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

13. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

230, 231, whatever it takes!

14. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I don't think Tesla had anything to do with it. You can pin that on Louis Bell, at least for choosing 50hz as the electrical frequency for the Mill Creek plant. He was the supervising engineer there when the generators were installed.

15. radiocaster

I can't find it on the net, but I know that back in the day NYC had some weird standard, 90V or 100V DC wall current.

16. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

That goes back the days of Edison when he was a proponent of DC current to power house holds. Eventually he lost the battle to the AC supporters, the likes of Tesla and Westinghouse and others. And for the better, considering voltage drop and power generation for the DC circuit that doesn't travel very far without huge loss.

I often wondered why we/they settled on the 50/60 Hz, why not 30 or 80 or ? That I don't understand.

And why 208v in restaurant equipment perhaps other things? Whats up with that in the US?

radiocaster likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I live off the grid for over 20 years now. Ask me if I care.

12 VDC rules.

18. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

That's cool history. I didn't realize GE did this in California. Westinghouse was working in the east in the same era. 60 hz took off from there

Torren61 likes this.
  19. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

20. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

208 is from 2 phases of 3 phase power. Can also be obtained from older/less used high-leg 3-phase systems.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.