1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

And this is why Craiglist gear does not sell

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, Jul 16, 2020.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I do what I can to help out the TDPRI boys...

2. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

I only list anything on CL that I can take with me to somewhere public. No one gets to come to my house for any sales, ever. I don't want anyone knowing where I live or what else I have in my house. It's a pain, but it's my new rule. I have a drum set to sell; I'm not quite sure how to handle that one.

I also only list with a "firm" price anymore, too. Otherwise, I get lots of lowballers contacting me and asking what my lowest price is. Even with a "firm" listing, I still get a few, but it cuts down on the number. If they don't like my price, they can go somewhere else.

Jlwctn, Deeve and Bella like this.
  3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

There is a builder here that makes really nice guitars. But as you mentioned youd just have to accept from the outset that if you ever want to sell you're going to take a beating

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  4. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

Didn't Fender stop supporting the Fuse software? That's a bigger issue than the missing power cord.

5. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

That happens on Reverb and eBay, too.

And, there absolutely are buyers for modded gear. I sold a Worn Les Paul project guitar that I bought off Stratosphere and fixed up with leftover Duncan pickups. I think I only lost $70 on the project, so there are buyers for modded gear. It just depends on the mods.

Danb541 and brookdalebill like this.
  6. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Is there a way to easily "silence" listings on CL? Share your wisdom. I know that you can after you have opened the listing.

My pet peeve is "do your research." Writing that ensures that 1) I won't, and 2) you've lost my interest immediately. When I otherwise would have done my research! Maybe it's just me.

7. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Fuse always crashed my laptop after a few operations. Fender was of no help anyway, so the "stopped support" concept is lost on me.

8. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

180 dollars is insane. i think i got mine for 109 dollars even + free shipping. it may have been even less. brand new. still in box

9. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

I have never used Craigslist, and every thread like this makes it a fair amount less likely that I ever will.

10. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

Seymour Duncan pickups seem to catch people’s attention on the used market where I live. Usually when I’ve listed a guitar I expect to sit on it for weeks before I get close to a fair offer. Had 2 different guitars with SD’s sell in record time for my asking price. Both guitars sold for more than I paid for the stock guitars new. Not a bad deal for me or the people who presumably don’t know how to change out their own pickups. In general though, most mods just raise red flags to potential buyers.

EspyHop likes this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I like Craigslist

I'm old enough to remember paid newspaper Classifed ads- CL being free was literally incredible at the time....

My current car a 2009 Altima ( bought at a great deal/private owner in 2018) and a fantastic $300 Epi SG ( last month) were bought off of CL.

Sold pedals and guitars for years at good prices. Never been burned buying or selling.
    So, no complaints from me.

Telecastoff1 and getbent like this.
  12. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

13. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I think the takeaway is that, yes, there are definitely buyers for modded gear, but they're not gonna pay what the modders often think it's worth. The seller of a partscaster, for instance, is not going to get the total value he put into the instrument—he's only going to be able to sell it at a big discount.

Which is actually not a discount. Modded gear will never command the same price as original equipment.

14. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

There are no "firm" prices on Craigslist, so regardless of what is listed, it can be had for much less....in most cases.

The biggest issue i find with CL is that most sellers make it impossible to even contact them and when you do, they don't reply. If i don't see a cell number in the ad....I don't even bother.

Telecastoff1, Whatizitman and EspyHop like this.
  15. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I've never been burned buying or selling, but like many am confused by the same six people posting the same 50 ads nearly every day in Minneapolis. Seriously - same seller has been selling the same five items for six years. Same price, same cantankerous ads, same odd gear...and he's just intensely unpleasant. And whats with calling anything they think is old "vintage", and anything that THEY haven't seen many of "rare"...lot of em call the same thing "vintage", "rare" and then tack on "collectible!".

Craigslist here has devolved into being nothing more than the chalk outline around the dead ambitions of our selling community.

Telecastoff1 and Marc Morfei like this.
  16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Call me anti-social, but I have no sympathy for anyone dumb enough to get scammed by a CL seller on music gear (or really anything else). If they can use the internet to find CL, they can find MF/GC and compare prices for new. If it’s an out of production piece of gear, all it takes is two clicks to find something comparable new. If they’re too dumb or lazy to figure that out, then gawd bless ‘em.

17. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I agree that a lot of modders are a little too grandiose about what they think something is worth. However, I think, as with anything, it depends on the partscaster/modifications. Do the various components make sense together or do they just speak to the seller’s eccentricity?

If I wasn’t enjoying it so much, I’d consider putting this on the market.

BB504BA7-126F-43B7-8718-6D6956FD8255.jpeg

This guitar is a partscaster.
    •2018 Baja body
    •2018 Classic Series ‘50s neck
    •Custom Shop Nocaster pickups
    •Genuine Fender hardware and pickguard
    •Gotoh tuners and In-Tune brass saddles
    •CRL switch
    •CTS vintage taper pots
    •Switchcraft jack
    •Electrosocket
    •Cloth wiring

The only “eccentric” part of this guitar is the blend wiring, which is still appropriate for a ‘50s style Tele, especially with Nocaster pickups.

So, if I did put this on the market, I would ask what I think is a fair price. It has better components than what’s generally found on a stock Classic Series Tele without getting too crazy. While I wouldn’t expect to get what I put in it, given the rising prices of the Vintera series and discontinuation of ash, I could probably get close to what I have in it in a couple of years.

Again, it depends on the mods.

18. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

I like the "best sounding guitar I've ever played" line.

If it is, then why are you dumping it?

goonie and Marc Morfei like this.
  19. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

I have actually scored two GREAT Telecasters on CL and I traded a parts caster to a guy for a killer Carr amp.

Deeve likes this.
  20. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Eh. Mustangs have an IEC socket and can take a standard PC cord. You probably have three of them stashed away somewhere.

Here ya go. ~$7.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BYGKZZ/?tag=tdpri-20

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.